12 replies to this topic

#1 Flenser

Flenser

title available

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • Projects:Dawn of War AI Skirmish

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

Is there one? What big-ticket items (if any) are left, or are we just mopping up bugs and ensuring that IG work properly?

I need to test the Eldar vehicle code v.2 and the Assassinate and Take & Hold code with patch 1.4. I see there have been some crashes possibly attributable to Eldar vehicles jumping where they shouldn't. Need to take a look at this.

Will dl the latest beta tonight, so I am looking for something to do with it :)

Flenser

#2 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

I'd say support of game modes other than annihilate is the biggest missing piece. I already found a possible problem with eldar skirmish and fixed it but there may be more. Welcome back !

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:34 PM

Its on the site in the master ToDO text file. If anyone has any other ToDos they'd like to ask I can add it.

The main ones are:

1) Enhancing T&H and CA winning conditions
2) Under Assassinate, keep commanders away from threats (maybe move them to back of HQ?)
3) If money available and in Tier4 - create secondary HQ with minimal buildings (used as a fallback incase many HQ is overthrown).
4) If main HQ is destroyed, have AI build backup HQ not at same original location BUT on a farthest away LP and perhaps recreate base there.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#4 Markoso

Markoso
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:54 AM

Well, just been reviewing stuff, and in the WA environment, I really feel we need to take a good look at the demand code for the races to ensure they are optimized for the economy they are limited to, as WA is really about teching, harass to delay\cripple tech, etc. I noticed the Eldar economy looking really ugly in one of my replays, and thought it best to bring this to everyone's attention.

#5 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:59 AM

Can you be a bit more specific ? Whats different with eldar compared to other races ?

#6 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

I'm surprised Markoso you say that as *the new Eldar* continue to a*s rape from here to Hades getting vehicles out fast! In no time Wraithlords are inbound and its OWNAGE time. Eldar still rock badly!
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#7 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:48 PM

I see there have been some crashes possibly attributable to Eldar vehicles jumping where they shouldn't. Need to take a look at this.

Not only that. I had a CTD on St.Mathias Bridge in WA, while unlocking an eldar unit. This happened in vanilla DOW, too. As far as I can say, there are always eldar vehicles involved. The jump bug is at least half-clear, but the unlocking crash is weird, at least to me. I only know that it's somehow related to the skirmish plan and (probably) eldar vehicles.

AI1001 6796    Skirmish Plan
AI1001 6796       I have this many units in the Plan 0
AI1001 6796       I need this many units in the Plan 4
AI1001 6796       found suitable locked squad
AI1001 6796       forcing release of eldar_squad_vypers from plan
***** CRASH *****

#8 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:50 PM

I suggest not using the skirmishplan as long as Flenser hasn't double checked it.

#9 Flenser

Flenser

title available

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

I suggest not using the skirmishplan as long as Flenser hasn't double checked it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm - I've played that bit to death and never had a CTD there. We will see if v.2 does it.

Flenser

#10 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

Just send my latest and final 1.5b8 (skirmish disabled by flag) to Thudo. Hope you can fix any skirmish problem and we can release soon.

#11 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:13 AM

To do :

AI will only initiate attackplan if stronger than enemy determined by cpu_manager:RateAgainstPlayer(). If not it won't attack. If it does not attack it won't destroy LP and capture them from enemies.

Therefore if the AI is weaker it won't fight for map control any more and is on a slippery slope to defeat. Since it can't risk big fights it should consider small raiding parties which try to capture weakly defended LPs nearby and retreat if challenged by superior forces.

Shall I tackle this or will the master of skirmish plans, Flenser, add this to his existing code ?

#12 Flenser

Flenser

title available

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

The AI might be weaker because it has just fought a big battle and come out badly, but if its economy is still better than the player's, then it is only a matter of time before it can build up again. In such cases it should not jeopardize its rebuilding effort by engaging in the field, even on a limited basis. If the enemy attacks the AI while it is rebuilding the AI obviously has no choice, but it will be nearer its production facilities and so more likely to win than if its army were out in the field taking down an LP.

Where the AI's economy is weaker than the player's AND its army is weaker than the players then you are right, the AI will be unlikely to attack ever, since the player should be building up quicker than the AI and it will never catch up. How
can the AI win in such cases? It needs to improve its economy.

Improvement is relative, so damaging the enemy economy == improving its own economy.

1. The AI could capture any free SPs.

2. We could force the AI to attack anyway, if it sees that (1) the player's army is getting bigger faster than the AI's army - ie. the longer it waits the harder it will be, (2) the enemy's economy is better than the AI's and (3) there are no free SPs. Might as well go out with a bang and, you never know, the player might fluff it and get beat :D

3. The AI could look at the location of the main enemy force, and pick the enemy SP/ LP which is nearest the AI's army but farthest from the main enemy force. Bonus points for several enemy SP/LPs in the one place. Then it goes and decaps it and retreats. Lather rinse repeat. This is akin to a skirmish, and is also very close to cheating, since the AI should not know where the player's army is.

4. The AI could try and decap all the enemy SP/ LPs at once, splitting its entire force up into small forces - each at least strong enough to take one LP down, hoping that it confuses the player and manages to decap some. It will lose a lot of its army, however.

5. The AI could invest in economy improving tech at the expense of other expenditure. Very risky.

What else could the AI do to recover a losing position?

Flenser

Edited by Flenser, 07 October 2005 - 09:55 AM.

#13 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

A major problem with skirmish AI's is them wasting their forces before they are built up enough to take on an enemy, so they should certainly avoiding engaging a significant sized force until they have rebuilt.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users