Tiberium Dawn & Harvesters

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soximus_*

Guest_Soximus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:23 AM

Firstly I'd like to say well done with how your mod is going so far.

Our team is currently doing a Tiberium Dawn Mod for Generals too, But with a few little extra goodies, (all kept with in the boundaries of Westwood original Idea.)

We are currently Very Close to an Public Alpha Stage.

We recently bought up the topic of how to make harvesters 'Harvest" Tiberium and how to make Tiberium. We 'Think' have come up with a solution.

Now to my point. We would be more than glad to help out your team if you help ours, kind of arrangement.. If you don?t. that is also fine.

We are just curious on what your plans are to tackle "harvesting" considering 90% of Tib Dawn Mods have failed due to No one knowing how to do this..

Regards,
*Top Secret Mod*
Soximus

#2 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:42 AM

Some contact information would be helpful.
A public forum is not the place to discuss secret mods ;)2

#3 Guest_Soximus_*

Guest_Soximus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:24 PM

You can contact me on: romeomd@iprimus.com.au

I check this every 5mins. I await to here your reply! :tocol:

#4 GDI officer

GDI officer
  • New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

maybe add anthrax to the tiberian so it kill infintry slowly?

i know this has nothing to do with (harvesting) but its for (tiberian) suggestion..... :)

#5 Kwartjuh

Kwartjuh
  • New Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:00 AM

We are far from the process of adding/editing harvester methods. We go for the unit/building modells and characteristics first.

#6 Guest_Soximus_*

Guest_Soximus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:27 AM

Its Still better to plann everything before hand. As what if you do all this Modelling and then realise something as major as Tib can't be done the way you like? or that is true to TD :tocol:

#7 Kwartjuh

Kwartjuh
  • New Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

Aint gonna be easy adding harvesting TB style... best need some experiece... gained by modding ahead :p

Anyway, we have a disagreement in the matter. It doesnt really matter does it :)

#8 GDI officer

GDI officer
  • New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:46 PM

maybe you could skin the supply thing i saw they did in the ts mod for generals tiberian ascension maybe ask them how to make tiberian?

#9 Krit

Krit

Shrine Maiden

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Projects:Spreading Touhou-ism
  •  Someday, anime fans and otakus will rule the world...

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:50 PM

Replace the supply pile with a model of some tiberiums might work... :rolo: (By "supply pile" I'm talking about the small pile not the supply docks) But that means units can't move across them... :uh:
Note: Some signature banners shown here may be linked to related content.
Caution: Linked material may be hyper cute or hyper cool depending on content.
Posted Image
This space for rent - 10$ per week
50% discount if I actually like the product
Free if I'm really bored and really like the product

#10 Soximus

Soximus
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Projects:C&C Tiberian Dawn Remake

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:50 AM

Replace the supply pile with a model of some tiberiums might work... :rolo:  (By "supply pile" I'm talking about the small pile not the supply docks) But that means units can't move across them... :uh:

This seems to be most practical way so far of making tib.

But how will you make the Tib tree "grow" more Tib? and make it seem like a Field?

How about remodeling the Supply dock that you can drive into? this way it will seem like you are on top of the Tib and "harvesting" it?

#11 Kwartjuh

Kwartjuh
  • New Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:19 PM

That shouldn't pose a problem. The crates on the supply center dissapear too, dont they? Bigger problem would be selfgenerating and EXPANDING tiberium.
Especially the expanding part.

#12 Slayer

Slayer
  • New Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:41 PM

Maybe on the "drive the tiberium" part u will do a model of a tiberium and skin it as some of the ppl suggested here and then try to find the part in the trees code that allow u to drive on it, but replace the animation of the fallen tree with a blank animation(no animation in another words).I don't know much about coding but maybe u will find a way to use the trees code as I suggested.
And for the expending tib part try to use the rebel ambush code, like, do certian places of the map that allways "spawn" tib(for every single tib plant I mean).

#13 Chronologic

Chronologic
  • Project Team
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

Okay, the trick with making Tiberium is that you don't want it all to be a large clump that will look like a hedgehog, you want to spread it out, so that units can drive between the individual pieces or plants of Tiberium, onto this you add an area effect weapon that slowly damages infantry nearby. Voila, you have a reasonable representation of Tiberium. Also, you can add an OCL firing module (ala the Supply drop) with a long delay that creates a single tiberium somewhere nearby too, patches will thicken and may become impassable to units, but with dedicated harvesting you can clear them out and open up alleys to attack through.

You can also add in a random object switcher unit, and a few different versions of the tiberium with different stats and models to create a varying field of the stuff.

#14 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:01 PM

Yep, sounds exactly right. If you really want to, you can add map scripts that should be able to spawn tiberium sections within a map area. That would require new map triggers, but could add more realism to the tiberium effect.
:lol:
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#15 Paranoid

Paranoid

title available

• New Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:02 AM

yeah, i remember there was a TS mod for generals a while back (wonder what ever happened to it? oh, wait, weeraby2k "died") but yeah, i always wondered why they were so confused about the tiberium... s'pose i ant understand it, im not a coder... but yeah, these ideas would all work... but there would be a way to code it so could move units through it... in theory, you could (i think) make the tiberium not haev any collision thingers in the code and units would move right through them. I've never even tried out any ini at all though, so im probably wrong...

#16 Guest_Golan_*

Guest_Golan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:09 PM

If you´re looking for growing tiberium, you could ask A1021 from Thundermods [www.thundermods.net] . He once coded crowing tiberium, but he stopped his modproject. I were able to test it, it´s working pretty fine and is only based on INI-codes, so it´s also possible to add tiberium to the normal generalsmaps by simply changing the supply docks code to the tiberium-code (haven´t been able to test that right know, but I´m shure it´ll work).

#17 The End 007

The End 007
  • Project Team
  • 234 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert Regeneration - 2D artist

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:41 PM

The easiest way to make it look like tiberium is to the use the renegade style system, have a flat texture for the area and then have the odd modeled crystal sticking out.
Posted Image

Our wrongs remain unrectified and our souls won't be exhumed. - Muse - Sing for Absolution

#18 Kwartjuh

Kwartjuh
  • New Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:15 PM

Our Tiberium Field is completely 3D, including a fully animated Blossom Tree.
It looks pretty cool right now, but we wanna change some small things before showing it :)

Right now, it looks pretty odd seeying a chinook flying above a tiberiumfield, taking bits and pieces from it... gonna make a harvester soon :)

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:11 PM

I've got some questions about your implementation:

1) Each "pack" of Tiberium originally had a growth-state, as in, the more fully grown it was, the more tiberium it contained, and the more you harvested each pack the less grown it became until there was none left in that pack. Have you done it this way?

2) Many of the implementations above have mentioned converting supply crates to Tiberium, making tiberium fields impassible, and preventing the harvester from harvesting while being on top of the tiberium. Do you plan to solve this, as it would diverge greatly from how Tiberium used to act?

3) Hell, thought I'd throw it in... TD cinematics? In or out? I honestly can't recall if there was any in-map voice acting, but if there was, will it be in too?

#20 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:02 PM

I made a semi-working version of the ore for ReGeneration, which is very similar to Tiberium. It spreads from the mine (tree) and units can move over it. It doesn't grow denser over time though, it just spreads fully-dense patches. And once a patch has been partially mined, it stays that way, it doesn't grow back to full density. And another little bug is this: when the ore truck (harvester) is done with one patch, it will head back home, even if it's not full yet and there are other patches around.

So I'm certainly interested in everyone's implementation of this. Maybe we can learn from each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users