Voxel Section Editor III 1.2c

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

Here's the changelog from Voxel Section Editor III 1.2a:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" 1.2
- revisions by Banshee
- Added: Cubed Normalizer. (Also, updated few wrong spelling bits from the old normalizer)
- Added: Flood Fill Erase Tool. This tool used to exist on VXLSE II and now it's back. It allows users to erase faster neighboor pixels with the same colour.
- Added: Full compatibility with all custom schemes types and new custom schemes included.
- Updated: Tool Buttons re-organized.
- Updated: Loading screen/About Box re-organized.
- Fixed: Program now loads parameters.
- Fixed and Updated: Site links.
- Fixed: Paste (non full) will now paste with proper transparency
- Fixed: Resize text boxes are no longer messed up.
- Fixed: Disable 3d view checking and unchecking works properly now on Windows XP. Windows 9x still might have the preview window not reloaded sometimes.
- Fixed: Undo will no longer add void operations. I.e.: Hitting Flood and Fill outside the voxel will no longer compromise your undo.
- Fixed: Whenever you apply a new section name, the Voxel Header Info window will properly update the name of the section displayed in the combo box."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Support for this tool is available at the uber popular Voxel Section Editor III forum (guest posting allowed).

You can download it HERE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, what do you guys think of it? Anything needs improvement? Any suggestions for new features? Any ugly bug in the program that needs fix? Post your opinions here, please.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#2 BobingAbout

BobingAbout

Serious Modder

• Hosted
  • 1,288 posts
  • Projects:R:ROTC, Destructivality, Factorio Mods
  •  Coder

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

i like the looks of the VXL you are working on :p
if this works properly, like you say it does, t hen i'll keep using it :p
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

LOL... I forgot to mention that it's not my voxel. Someone else submitted to PPM ages ago.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#4 ihateharriers

ihateharriers

Supreme Commander of Flying Squirrel Army

• Hosted
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:YR: Air Wars, Sorta Secret Tiberian Thing, staying alive
  •  Flying Squirrels - Even Crazier Than Me!!

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

lookin good, i think may use it. also, whatever happened to the ellipse tool? i would love to have that feature for some of the voxels i've been working on.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Congrats, mate!!

#5 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:23 PM

Are you going to implement TS -> RA2/YR color conversions in the future?

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#6 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:30 PM

No need if your clever enough :p

see..for ra2 scheme to ts ones, nod or gdi...getting nod just use the greyscale option and for gdi, first greyscale and then the Nod to GDI :p and the process reversed for TS to ra2. :p
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#7 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:51 PM

Meh, still not as good as will's editor...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

God-Emperor of Dune

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

Whilst I do tend to agree, I have to admit that I still find this new editor an *invaluable* tool.

#9 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:59 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you´re so damn right!
could you guys not simply remake will´s editor with adding some of the new features (3D-view, zooming...)
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#10 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:20 PM

gotta agree, will's is most convenient/simplest...just would need some improvement :p
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#11 Gamemate

Gamemate

The former weird guy

• Hosted
  • 1,443 posts
  • Projects:Drinking coffee
  •  Floating about

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:48 PM

I am not really going to follow the trend, I prefer the new voxel editor feels more like a 3d application (everything is easier to use imo). The new additions/bugfixes are great I like it, normal painting is easier aswell, doing this on larger voxels in wills voxel editor is far from a painless procedure (atleast that is my experience).

My thoughts about it, since I have already seen what is planned I am fairly pleased and have nothing to add or suggest.

Keep up the great work :p
If people were more constructive with their comments, then this place would be more enjoyable
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:02 PM

lookin good, i think may use it. also, whatever happened to the ellipse tool? i would love to have that feature for some of the voxels i've been working on.

I had to scrap it due to lack of time. I won't be able to work on it for a month due to the university.

Are you going to implement TS -> RA2/YR color conversions in the future?

It's already implemented. The program supports custom schemes. Pal Pack has some that does this job, but if you wanna do your own custom schemes, use OS Palette Editor 1.21 or Wordpad.

What needs to be improved there? Please, provide me more details, because I can't guess.

Whilst I do tend to agree, I have to admit that I still find this new editor an *invaluable* tool.

Is that good or bad? :p

you´re so damn right!
could you guys not simply remake will´s editor with adding some of the new features (3D-view, zooming...)

The two features you mentioned exists since the first build versions. The 3D Viewer is located at the bottom right of the screen. Use the left click and right click of your mouse there, moving it while you hold these buttons to play with it. Sometimes, on windows9x, the 3d viewer might take longer to render or not render at all.

The zoom feature has suffered an accident in this version, but it also exists. One day, Delphi has messed up all the ImageList pictures. I restored from an older version, but I guess... for some reason, the zoom image wasn't restored or never existed. It's a way better than the zoom from older VXLSE. Check the picture below:

Posted Image

I am not really going to follow the trend, I prefer the new voxel editor feels more like a 3d application (everything is easier to use imo). The new additions/bugfixes are great I like it, normal painting is easier aswell, doing this on larger voxels in wills voxel editor is far from a painless procedure (atleast that is my experience).

My thoughts about it, since I have already seen what is planned I am fairly pleased and have nothing to add or suggest.

Keep up the great work :p

Thanks a bunch, dude! :p
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#13 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:36 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny part is that this IS Will's editor, or at least an editor from Will if you check the credits. :rolleyes:

I think ach program has their strong points. Will's is simple, fast, easy to use and (if you know the right keystrokes) can do simple stuff, like recolors in no time. Slowly, I've warmed up to the VXLSE series because I can make multisectioned stuff without having to use those weird vxlutils stuff... and I can't stand the old using-a-pen-tool-to-change-a-voxel-resets-its-normals stuff. Ughhh...

I'm sure some in the community like the program for the wrong reasons, 'convience features' like the palpack and auto-steppulation, but a few of the features are actually very valueable, like the texturing, and the copy/paste stuff.

I would like to see Banshee continue in his current course though, whereby he shys from adding new things, and just corrects bugs/smoothlines the program/smoothlines the interface.

I have yet to test this version sadly, but I take it this line...

Fixed: Program now loads parameters

Means that sliders will recalibration for each section rather than remain as they were for the first, messing up on sections of a different size?

Oh, and I don't know if it has been fixed, is a bug or is a feature, but is the normal flood fille meant to flood flill along the color's area instead of the normals? Er, I don't know if I explained that right.
Being a total douche.

#14 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:21 AM

What needs to be improved there? Please, provide me more details, because I can't guess.

you see all those things that aren't interface relaited such as the auto normals and stuff, add them to wills vxl editor, then we'll be happy. the enterface etc in wills vxl editor is far easier to use then that used by the vxlse series, I think because of the way the windows work, it's just a pain in the ass having to go to another program to add sections and things.
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#15 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:03 AM

My main dislike of VSE is that it lags like hell unless you’re working on a small TS vxl or something. It can’t even load a lot of my larger voxels, it just freezes up! I know this is dew to only having 128mb RAM but will’s can handle them with np & runs very smoothly even when working on vxls that hit the 255 size limit.

I do use VSE II for it’s auto normals & VSE III for joining muti-section vxls tho but other then that I can do everything that VSE can do in will’s quicker manually :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:13 AM

I would have to agree with Mig there about the laggyness when working on larger voxels. I have much more RAM then Mig but i still notice a bit quite a bit of a slowdown.

The thing i like about VSE II is the Auto Normals (like Mig said) and the fact that the 3D view is ditatched. I find that in VSE III the one that is located at teh bottom left hang of the interface sometimes has the lower half of the little screen blacked out, i dunno whether its just me...

...mind you i havn't tried out this new version yet. But i wouldn't use anything but VSE :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#17 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

you´re so damn right!

The two features you mentioned exists since the first build versions. The 3D Viewer is located at the bottom right of the screen. Use the left click and right click of your mouse there, moving it while you hold these buttons to play with it. Sometimes, on windows9x, the 3d viewer might take longer to render or not render at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if me or other (basicly vets) talk about wills editor we´re meaning Will´s Voxeleditor
the other´s are just not as easy to use...
only things missing are:
-Zoomfunction
-the new 3D-View
-the new Autonormals
-sectionediting
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#18 BobingAbout

BobingAbout

Serious Modder

• Hosted
  • 1,288 posts
  •  Coder

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

i don't have a clue what you are talking about...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

So why bother posting..?

Anyway I highly doubt that Banshee is going to completely re-write VSE to please a few vets, so all this is a bit pointless. :rolleyes:

If any thing tho could you try & make it run faster Banshee?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 BobingAbout

BobingAbout

Serious Modder

• Hosted
  • 1,288 posts
  •  Coder

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

what i mean is, what is this will's VSE you are talking about?
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users