General questions regarding this mod

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Grievous

Lord Grievous
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hello, I've just got some questions, mostly about gameplay, so hopefully you'll be able to answer some of them:

* will your mod feature a singleplayer campaign based on DoW 40k or something of your own makings?

* I've seen your renders and they look really good, so I hope you're not going to downgrade their polycount or anything? Also will you strive the same (or better) graphical prowess as the EaW engine is capable of?

* are this mod's three factions going to replace or add to EaW's two factions, because I think it'd be great to play the Imperium agains the Empire or the Rebels against the Marines.

* why have you not named your Imperial Guard faction the Imperium, because this would encompass both the Guard/Navy and Space Marines?

* when will you update your renders again?

* are you planning on changing EaW's resource system in any way?

* I've noticed that your current largest rendered spaceship is a Lunar-cruiser, will you also include the even larger Grand Cruisers and Battleships?

* if any of your Only War 1 models have too low a polycount for EaW, will you remake it?

* will the original sounds and music from the DoW be incorporated in EaW?

* any chance of you including another faction besides the current three?

* will you scale all the units/vehicles/ships/buildings realisticly as possible?

* anything else you might want to reveal :sleep:

Anyway great job so far, keep up the good work!

Edited by Lord Grievous, 02 December 2005 - 06:24 PM.

#2 sam

sam

Brother Captain

• Hosted
  • 386 posts
  • Projects:Only War, Pacific at War
  •  Brother Captain

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

Well, Much of the features are still to be decided as EaW is yet unrelease we don't know how it will play, but I'll answer what I can and I'm sure Boomer will add his own input.

* will your mod feature a singleplayer campaign based on DoW 40k or something of your own makings? - It should be something of our own making, Cal and I were cooking something up the other night and it should shape up to be quite dark, mysterious and utterly gruesome.

* I've seen your renders and they look really good, so I hope you're not going to downgrade their polycount or anything? Also will you strive the same (or better) graphical prowess as the EaW engine is capable of? - The polycounts of the models won't be reduced, unless we encounter issues with them, but there shouldn't be any :p .

* are this mod's three factions going to replace or add to EaW's two factions, because I think it'd be great to play the Imperium agains the Empire or the Rebels against the Marines. - The mod should essentially be a total conversion replacing much of the EaW assets with those from the 41st millenium, but I can see some funky battles with a star destroyer against a battle barge, mmmmmm :sleep: .

* why have you not named your Imperial Guard faction the Imperium, because this would encompass both the Guard/Navy and Space Marines? - The Marines do indeed fall under the imperium, but they play completely differently to the Imperial Guard but IG Commanders cannot issue orders to a Marine Force, Only and inquisitor can do such a thing, and only then when the Marine Force Commander agree's with the inquisitors course of action, so they have been seperated as they are in the table top game, with the cannon fodder and the imeriums finest, and it could make for some interesting on-line or skirmish games :p .

* when will you update your renders again? - Very Soon :p .

* are you planning on changing EaW's resource system in any way? - Most likely, It depends on what the EaW resource system actually is.

* I've noticed that your current largest rendered spaceship is a Lunar-cruiser, will you also include the even larger Grand Cruisers and Battleships? - Well, we should be using many of the most common ships for each army, as the Imperial Navy have all manner of ships such as Q-Ships and transport ships, so Most likely you'll see capital ships, battle ships, grand cruisers, carriers, and maybey a few other smaller goodies.

* if any of your Only War 1 models have too low a polycount for EaW, will you remake it? - Check out the Land Raider :p .

* will the original sounds and music from the DoW be incorporated in EaW? - Most likely not, as DoW was made by relic, we'll be using our own

* any chance of you including another faction besides the current three? - Its a topic of contention at the moment, initially plans are for the marines, Imperial guard and necrons, but you could see others in the future, such as the eldar, chaos or even the tyranids.

* will you scale all the units/vehicles/ships/buildings realisticly as possible? - Yes

* anything else you might want to reveal ;) - beware the alien, the mutant, the heretic :dry:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I am the Hammer

#3 Lord Grievous

Lord Grievous
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

Well thanks for the quick reply. Anyway EaW's resource system is apparantly based on the notion that the more planets a player controls, the more income they get.
Also how can you still play against an Imperial Star destroyer if you wont leave EaW's original two factions intact? If it is possible, would you rather add your factions instead of replace EaW's two factions?

#4 sam

sam

Brother Captain

• Hosted
  • 386 posts
  •  Brother Captain

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:22 PM

The original EaW factions will still be there, but won't be selectable, It will essentialy be like an addon pack that instead of adding a few new units, completely changes everything, but all of the original content is still there just un-used, so if we wanted to for some little easter egg or soemthing we could have the galactic empire, or the rebels or anyone we choose :dry:

When OW2 is ready for release, you won't even know your playing EaW :sleep:
I am the Hammer

#5 Lord Grievous

Lord Grievous
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

Well I know that it's a bit of a pickle to balance this out, but wouldn't it be feasible to play OW2's facions against EaW's factions in skirmish?
EaW is apparantly very mod friendly so that it shouldn't be to difficult to do this, I've never actually played a Warhammer (pc) game but this mod gives me the opportunity to finally do this.

#6 sam

sam

Brother Captain

• Hosted
  • 386 posts
  •  Brother Captain

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

It should be possible, its just wethere or not we feel it would be fitting to leave them in the mod, or if it would better fit our setting to not have them in
I am the Hammer

#7 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:44 PM

just a few little notes...

* will your mod feature a singleplayer campaign based on DoW 40k or something of your own makings?

YES there WILL be a campaign, I intend to make the campaign the MAIN FOCUS of Only War 2!

* are this mod's three factions going to replace or add to EaW's two factions, because I think it'd be great to play the Imperium agains the Empire or the Rebels against the Marines.

THERE WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT BE THE ORIGINAL EAW FACTIONS IN ONLY WAR 2. THIS IS A BREACH OF GAMES WORKSHOPS FAIR USE POLICY.

Games Workshop state that their Intellectual Property can be used for non profit purposes and as long as it is completely seperated from other intellectual property.. i.e. NOT mixing Star Wars and Games Workshop Intellectual Property.

* why have you not named your Imperial Guard faction the Imperium, because this would encompass both the Guard/Navy and Space Marines?

We are having seperate imperial guard and space marines factions as that's the way it works in the table top game. nuff said :sad:

* I've noticed that your current largest rendered spaceship is a Lunar-cruiser, will you also include the even larger Grand Cruisers and Battleships?

we will hopefully have the larger battleships :p

AGAIN, WE WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT USE DOW'S ASSETS AS THIS IS BREACH OF INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT LAW.

* will you scale all the units/vehicles/ships/buildings realisticly as possible?

YES!

Anyway great job so far, keep up the good work!

Thanks! :D

(sorry if that comes across harsh, but at least it puts the message across!)

edit: i think I lost it a bit there... whoops..;)

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 04 December 2005 - 01:03 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Marcjs

Marcjs

Lord Of Change

• Project Team
  • 569 posts
  • Projects:Only War

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:13 PM

all ready got a battle barge its a little too high in polys :) but im working on it ;)

and before i forget ... chaos chaos chaos :p

Edited by Marcjs, 04 December 2005 - 12:14 PM.

Men who do nothing but dream should just stay in their dreams forever !!!!
Be Afraid Rodger Smith this dream isnt going to end till i bring your life to a end !!

YE GUILTY

#9 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:45 PM

it is, however, a beautiful battlebarge :) (if lacking in guns)

and yes, CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS!!!

THE DARK GODS CALLETH! CAST DOWN THE FALSE EMPEROR! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

ahem:P
Posted Image

#10 sam

sam

Brother Captain

• Hosted
  • 386 posts
  •  Brother Captain

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:59 PM

I am the Hammer :)
I am the Hammer

#11 Marcjs

Marcjs

Lord Of Change

• Project Team
  • 569 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:09 PM

yeah you have a look at the guns on the games workshop model and it looks like its got cannons on it :) think ill have to use a little artistic licence
Be Afraid Rodger Smith this dream isnt going to end till i bring your life to a end !!

YE GUILTY

#12 Boomerang Python

Boomerang Python

Only War Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 2,370 posts
  • Projects:Only War, Only War 2
  •  Colonel-Commissar

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

As Cal said, there will most probably be a campaign, but this will be our completely own made up story. Now why would we use anything from DoW??? That's even illegal as Cal mentioned earlier. o.O

* I've seen your renders and they look really good, so I hope you're not going to downgrade their polycount or anything? Also will you strive the same (or better) graphical prowess as the EaW engine is capable of?

Some of our units will have a higher polycount than their EaW equivalents, and some maybe be less than the EaW ones.. we can't actually be sure about this until the game is actually released.

Our three factions will replace the EaW factions.

Space marines and Imperial Guard are 2 different factions, this is mainly because there are lots of fans for each of these factions and they have both got enough units to be seperate factions.

* when will you update your renders again?

What do you mean 'update' ?

* are you planning on changing EaW's resource system in any way?

Probably not, as the EaW resource system appeals to us and the 40k feeling of the mod. But we'll see.

Expect Battleships and Grand Cruisers.

* if any of your Only War 1 models have too low a polycount for EaW, will you remake it?

Yes.

Uh... Why would we use DoW's sounds and music? :S
We have our own friggin stuff that we can use...

* any chance of you including another faction besides the current three?

Yes, we have a poll at EaW: Nexus - http://eawnexus.gami...hp?showtopic=63

Yes.
My DeviantArt - Check it out.
Posted Image
My Wii code: 6472 3114 4930 8707

"Om du kan stå, när alla andra sviktar
och sen klandras du för att just du står rak
Om du kan tro på ditt när andra riktar
sitt välbekanta tvivel mot din sak

Om var minut av nitti sen kan fyllas
med verk av dig som giltigt räknats ner
min vän, som jordens konung ska du hyllas
men du är också man, och det är mer."

#13 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:25 PM

Uh... Why would we use DoW's sounds and music? :S
We have our own friggin stuff that we can use...

it's also as illegal as rape... (and indeed analagous to... :p)

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 04 December 2005 - 10:26 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Marcjs

Marcjs

Lord Of Change

• Project Team
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

wow thats 3 times the same questions have been answeared wow

im sure he got it the first time :p

YE GUILTY

#15 Boomerang Python

Boomerang Python

Only War Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 2,370 posts
  • Projects:Only War, Only War 2
  •  Colonel-Commissar

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:47 AM

Gotta make sure.. :p

Oh and I was gonna add that illegal bit but couldnt be arsed.. ..
My DeviantArt - Check it out.
Posted Image
My Wii code: 6472 3114 4930 8707

"Om du kan stå, när alla andra sviktar
och sen klandras du för att just du står rak
Om du kan tro på ditt när andra riktar
sitt välbekanta tvivel mot din sak

Om var minut av nitti sen kan fyllas
med verk av dig som giltigt räknats ner
min vän, som jordens konung ska du hyllas
men du är också man, och det är mer."

#16 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:31 AM

lol

i'm sure anyone reading this thread has got the picture now... at least there's no wishy washy "we might do... we might not" it's "Yes" or "No" with Only War :p

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 05 December 2005 - 08:31 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Lord Grievous

Lord Grievous
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

So...are you going to use DoW's music? Just for laughs...don't start spewing the legal disclaimers in my face again :rolleyes:
And besides I wasn't refering to you using the exact same material, but rather if you'd set OW2 in the same timeframe as DoW and such? And will your soundtrack be the same genre as DoW or will you start using Pink Floyd'ish music :blink:

And by updating your renders, I meant when will you show some new renders?

Well thanks for the replies, they've answered most of my questions (sometimes the same question over and over again, but still :p

Edited by Lord Grievous, 05 December 2005 - 04:29 PM.

#18 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:55 PM

Nah well ya see you've got the whole concept wrong!

We're trying to NOT associate ourselves with Dawn Of War.

As a result we won't use anything that so much as relates us to it!

(And mass murder of imperial guard to shine on would be cool.. :rolleyes:)

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 05 December 2005 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Lord Grievous

Lord Grievous
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

But this mod is based on the DoW universe, so isn't it hard not to associate this mod with DoW?
I understand the legal thing about not wanting to remake DoW in the EaW engine, but you'll still be planning on using the same types of units/vehicles/ships and buildings from the Warhammer (DoW) games right?

#20 Marcjs

Marcjs

Lord Of Change

• Project Team
  • 569 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:40 PM

THq didnt make warhammer 40k games workshop did so its their universe

YE GUILTY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users