Hypocrisy?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

A fetus doesn't have higher brain functions or a personality or consciousness. Higher brain functions don't even begin to manifest themselves until 1-2 years of age anyways.

Edited by MSpencer, 24 December 2005 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#22 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

That's my point though, you don't hit the air and suddenly become a functional human being, so why is abortion any different from simply killing the baby seconds after it's birth?
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#23 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert: ReGeneration

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:32 PM

Your age is counted from the moment you were born. It's just something we all decided long ago.
You cannot compare pissing to thinking
- SoulReaver

#24 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

I am fully in agreement with Hostile that what is done with our bodies is our choice, on the sole basis that it is not to the detriment of another, and nothing is forced upon another.

I don't believe any drug should be illegal. At least if it's legal, you can regulate it and ensure it's safe. You can also tax it, and the British Government loves that. Anyway, I digress.

I more or less agree with Silent_Killa on this. Rape victims are an exception to the rule, but proper preparation prevents problems. There really is no excuse, not even Catholicism.

#25 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:52 AM

To clear something up, I'm not necessarily saying that abortion should be outlawed, I'm just more baffled at the fact that someone would be willing to terminate a pregnancy. I'd say it's sometimes justified, but you can't half ass it here, if we're going to legalize abortion, IMO legalizing things like assisted suicide etc should come way before then.

Your age is counted from the moment you were born. It's just something we all decided long ago.

It was also decided some time ago that the world was flat, just because it's old, doesn't make it right.
My political compass

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#26 ZeroSamuraiX

ZeroSamuraiX

ZSX

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • Projects:Her
  •  The last spam fighter

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

abortion should be outlawed,
I can understand why u guys are against its ban, but it is just wrong
No heat no happiness
Posted Image

#27 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

It was also decided some time ago that the world was flat, just because it's old, doesn't make it right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By changing that, you'd only change the line. Have no abortion possible, is that a good solution? Or would you rather have it so that you can kill your own children if they're younger than, say, 1 or 2 years of age? Or, how about just letting everyone go kill anyone he wants?
- SoulReaver

#28 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

If it's a rape victim, that's different. She didn't ask to be impregnated, it was forced upon her by a vile monster. She should have the right to choose there. However, other than that...

And ComJ makes a good point there heh...easier to count it from birth as being sentient.

Edited by Comrade Jerkov, 28 December 2005 - 08:47 PM.

#29 ZeroSamuraiX

ZeroSamuraiX

ZSX

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  The last spam fighter

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

she doesnt have to have an abortion, Comrade Jerkov
she can put it up for adoption, or something
No heat no happiness
Posted Image

#30 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:44 PM

Let me put this very clear.
What person would even want to carry and give birth to the child of a rapist?
Be reminded every single second of that horrible thing that happened..
Indeed.

#31 ZeroSamuraiX

ZeroSamuraiX

ZSX

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  The last spam fighter

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

a paradox
there can be no solution that will satisfy both sides, unfortunately
No heat no happiness
Posted Image

#32 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:36 AM

By changing that, you'd only change the line. Have no abortion possible, is that a good solution? Or would you rather have it so that you can kill your own children if they're younger than, say, 1 or 2 years of age? Or, how about just letting everyone go kill anyone he wants?

It's easier that way, doesn't make it right... I don't know what the solution is, but IMO at least, the second the sperm hits the egg you've started a person, and it wasn't anyone elses fault other than your own and your partners... with the exception of rape, obviously.
My political compass

#33 ZeroSamuraiX

ZeroSamuraiX

ZSX

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  The last spam fighter

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:05 AM

someone lock this topic, i think the "answer" was found
No heat no happiness
Posted Image

#34 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:56 AM

And I do believe the morning after pill should be possible, as well as abortion in an early stage. Imagine if you're not in a situation in which a child can be raised properly, or if you do not want it, or want to go through the pains of giving birth if you're not keeping it, or if you don't want someone else to have your child, then what? I don't think I could give my child up for adoption ever.
I do think the father should be notified as well, as well as the parents if the child is under 18, unless the parents might want to harm the child, or force her to give birth or things like that. It's the child's body, and if she does not want to give birth to the child, the parents should not force her, because of their own belief. I'm glad my parents never forced their believes (in that way) upon me (that is, if they had believed in the Bible or Koran), it's still my choice whether I'd believe the same or not. It's my body and they cannot force me to do whatever it is they want done.

#35 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

Hmpf. Adoption. How easy do you think that is? Think the child will have a happy youth if he spends half his life in an orphanage?
- SoulReaver

#36 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:27 AM

Adoption could be a good thing, but not in all situations.

#37 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

It's traumatic for the mother and the child. When someone 16-20 years old has a child, it ruins their life and their child's life. They have to deal with rejection by their peers, and the child has to deal with either going through the lackluster government orphanages or being raised by a mother not prepared for motherhood. This applies to rape and consensual sex.
Abortion is simply a medical procedure. I suppose we could say a fetus is "alive" when it has a brain wave, but until then, it's still a fetus. It is not alive. A fetus becomes a baby when it takes a breath, not before.

And no the topic will not be locked because you spread your pro-life views and don't want to defend them.

Edited by MSpencer, 29 December 2005 - 05:59 PM.

Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#38 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it wasn't, it's always, excluding prehistoric times, been the generally held belief that the world is round.
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#39 ZeroSamuraiX

ZeroSamuraiX

ZSX

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  The last spam fighter

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:13 PM

omg Spence, a fetus is a living being, i forgot who said but they posted: once that sperm cell breaches the egg cell there is life,geez

why, are yo pro death?

Edited by ZeroSamuraiX, 29 December 2005 - 08:16 PM.

No heat no happiness
Posted Image

#40 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

Why when the sperm cell reaches the egg? If we follow that path, how many times have you had a wank in your life? So how many billions of deaths does that make you responsible for? And even if you concieved a child, you'd murder all the other sperm!
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users