Photo

When should i leave modding?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: When should i stop modding (read post before vote)

When should i stop modding (read post before vote)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TKelly

TKelly

§§§§§§§§§§§§→↑←§§§§§§§§§§§

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Projects:The Hobbit Expansion Pack

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

Ok, I have realized that i now need to focus on my life, new girlfriend, need to spend more time strengthing my physical attributes, friends from school, etc.

I'm in a predicament though...

I dont quite know when to stop. If I was to stop this second, I would not finish the Hobbit Mod, but give it to the other two leaders of the mod. I would also need someone to take my place as INI coder and Main Skinner.

I would give the replacement coder all the extraordinary codes for our mod, like build anywhere, ally resource trading, naval wars, and all those other ones. We also have one faction done, in which he can base the other factions on.

Thats if I quit before I finish the Hobbit Mod.

If I quit after its no big deal then, I might just end up being more miserable. :)

So please vote, give an opinion, and if you code, please post if you would like to replace me in this (a link to our mods site is HERE)

And I have nothing against modding, it was very fun for the time it lasted. I would also like to 'retire' as a pretty good modder, most definetly better than the n00b i started out as.

(BTW, I'll thank T3a after i decide to actually leave)
Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum
Don't make fun of how low my graphics are, my computer doesn't even meet system requirements

#2 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:54 PM

quit when you don't feel like modding anymore, it's your opinion that's the most important :)
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#3 N19HtmAr3

N19HtmAr3

title available

• Project Team
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:Kicking ass...
  •  "who's that guy, anyways?"

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Exactly... :huh:

But still... :) If you can't make up your mind, please finish the mod first... :) ... :)

#4 |MeMw|Elessar

|MeMw|Elessar

The Hobbit Expansion Pack Modeller/ Co-Leader

• Project Team
  • 399 posts
  • Projects:The Hobbit Expansion Pack, |MeMw|The MOD!, MHD, MME, MHD: The Prelude

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

as your loyal co-mod leader i say PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE!!!!!!! we NEED u on the team!! the mod would suck if u left!! u are a great coder and it would be not so great so please stay!
w00t the mighty leader TKelly has returned!
Eldarion a blessing to The Hobbit Mod
Posted Image

#5 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts
  • Projects:Kings of the West Mod
  •  T3A Chamber Member - Retired

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

I think you'll find it extremely hard to mod if you don't want to do it. So I wouldn't struggle through finishing a mod that you may not want to do just to retire on a high note.

If I was in your shoes...which I was sort of, back in September...I would take a break from modding, hang out with friends and have fun away from bfme. You may find that after awhile you will come back and want to mod. If so, cool; if not, it will be much easier to quit for good.

But in the end it is as ched said "quit when you don't feel like modding anymore, it's your opinion that's the most important"

-GothmogtheOrc

Nine%20rings.jpg
Click on my Sig to go to my BFME Modding site where you can download my mods.
KotW%20Morgul%20In-game.jpg
Kings of the West Mod Leader
*Retired. PM me if you need to get a hold of me as I'll get an email notification and should reply within a day or so*

#6 |MeMw|Elessar

|MeMw|Elessar

• Project Team
  • 399 posts
  • Projects:The Hobbit Expansion Pack, |MeMw|The MOD!, MHD, MME, MHD: The Prelude

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:24 AM

ya thats true but we need him (theres no good crying smiley)
Posted Image

#7 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

you'll come back anyway, I took a 2 months break during the summer holidays and first site I went to when I came back was T3A :)
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:11 PM

noooooooooooo dont go!!!! *grabs Tkelly's legs* dont gooooooooo! *gets dragged cross floor*

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:20 AM

*steps on the guest* Silence! Get up and stand like a....perso-man! OKAY I tried to quit before but got back to it anyways. Here's my advice, stop modding and if you feel like it come back again okay? if not then just stop. Okay? ︿︿

this is LR anyways, got too lazy to log in. 

#10 Tomat

Tomat

title available

• Project Team
  • 485 posts
  • Projects:Nothing(retired)

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:39 AM

I felt like i hate modding but i returned. the only guy i know that i think won't return modding BfME1 is Lord Dragonclaw but everyone else have returned(I think :huh: ) so if you leave i think you will return :lol:

Edited by Tomat, 11 January 2006 - 11:39 AM.

Posted Image

#11 {IP}Gil-Galad

{IP}Gil-Galad

ClickerMonkey

• Hosted
  • 1,122 posts
  • Projects:Too many to name.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

Hahahah you think youll be able to stay away from T3A hehe. So many people have left but some people get this bond to T3A and the people here and youll feel compelled to come back once things with you and you Girlfriend are over. (Sorry to say what you have wont last long, ask anyone) Ive seen prolly 5 people say their leaving from T3A and then at least 4 came back. When i was at MEC about 20 people "left" but they all came back eventually.

So good luck, its up to you, but remember T3A is where you planted your modding roots, never forget that.

#12 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

I think you should stop modding for a while if it doesn't interest you anymore that much, and probably after a while you'll find you're interested in it again. I've spoken to some RA2 and Generals modders who've had it some times, they did return after a period of less activity. I guess it happens to every modder sometime. Just stop for a while if you don't feel like it anymore and start again when you do. This summer I did a bit of modding, yet when summer ended I kind of lost interest (and had to go to uni again as well, so not that much time left), it has not really returned yet, with the present shedule I have, but I know it will return one day (and then I'll learn more about it and hopefully sometime have some great ideas and make a good mod with a team).

EDIT What has his girlfriend got to do with it? As long as he likes being with her and spends enough time with her, but also still spends time doing things he likes on his own, like modding and she lets him, I don't see any problems.

#13 {IP}Gil-Galad

{IP}Gil-Galad

ClickerMonkey

• Hosted
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

(and then I'll learn more about it and hopefully sometime have some great ideas and make a good mod with a team).

You dont need a good team to make a good mod, for example grim was a one man band and he churned out a great mod.

#14 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

I know, but I'd like to work with a team, since I can't model for example, and I do want the mod I'm planning to make once, to have new models and such :lol:. You can get far on your own as well, that's right. But time will tell.. :huh:

#15 Joe

Joe

title available

• Project Team
  • 886 posts
  • Projects:Real Life

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

Ok the question is: are you happy modding, not should i stop, but are you happy modding the game, or has it turned out to be the worse thing in your life and you are unhappy from it. You never know i mean Kelso turned out to be in some magazines with his mod, i guess that gave him some more "boost" and make him want to continue and love it even more. The hobbit mod will be succesful, it just needs somewhat more advertising. BUT it all comes down to you, are you happy modding? Do YOU want to mod? it is up to you, do not let other people lead your life, make your own decisions and show some independance. I found this out the hard way but i am happy and no matter what you do, do it for yourself, do it if it makes you happier.

Your choice

Edited by ned dred, 11 January 2006 - 04:51 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 {IP}Gil-Galad

{IP}Gil-Galad

ClickerMonkey

• Hosted
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:42 PM

That was the cleverest thing ive ever seen you say neddy.... *starts slow clap*

#17 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

Ok the question is: are you happy modding, not should i stop, but are you happy modding the game, or has it turned out to be the worse thing in your life and you are unhappy from it. You never know i mean Kelso turned out to be in some magazines with his mod, i guess that gave him some more "boost" and make him want to continue and love it even more. The hobbit mod will be  succesful, it just needs somewhat more advertising. BUT it all comes down to you, are you happy modding? Do YOU want to mod? it is up to you, do not let other people lead your life, make your own decisions and show some independance. I found this out the hard way but i am happy and no matter what you do, do it for yourself, do it if it makes you happier. 

Your choice

View Post

What he said, great words Ned. Alot of times I want to drop T3A site like a hot potato, than after I come back with a fresh head and I see that it's not just about what I want. It's (for me) is also about keeping up something that "pleases" so many people.

Spreading as much happiness and content to as many people as I can to the best of my ability. For example, look at my site, looks like a 12 year old made it. (no offense 12 year olds) yet it contains the info that is needed without the fancy face.

So in the end I fullfilled my goal while only being a very small player.

#18 {EoW}Tmistro

{EoW}Tmistro
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Projects:Shogun, donating to other mods.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

Well i think it would be a shame to loose you but you do what you thinks best. You can always take a break and come back wich prob most of us our hoping for ;)

#19 TKelly

TKelly

§§§§§§§§§§§§→↑←§§§§§§§§§§§

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Projects:The Hobbit Expansion Pack

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

I have made my decision, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

I have decided to definetly take a very long break. I'll come back probably, i just dont know when, id like to thank t3a for all their help getting me started, and then helping me all the way till now.

Hope to see you all again.

Signing off,
TKelly
Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum
Don't make fun of how low my graphics are, my computer doesn't even meet system requirements

#20 |MeMw|Elessar

|MeMw|Elessar

• Project Team
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

thats sad for us but i do hope you come back and dont do what vapula did cause we need ya man
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users