• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

You get something that looks like this:

Posted Image

You get a barren, lifeless rock. Duh. :blush:

Edited by Comrade Jerkov, 13 January 2006 - 04:56 PM.

#3 anonymous

anonymous
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

Okay, that was easy, I rest my case..... :blush:

#4 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

LOL :dry:

Where was your imagination leading you this time? :blush:

#5 anonymous

anonymous
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

LOL :dry:

Where was your imagination leading you this time? :blush:

View Post

LMAO!!!!!!!

#6 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:26 PM

I was actually asking a serious question there. I'm glad you found it amusing though. Guess there's nothin' else to discuss here :blush:

#7 anonymous

anonymous
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:46 PM

u gave ur answer pretty quick.... so i figured it was hysterical that there was no life in your answer.... LMAO

#8 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

Well, look at it.

We all breathe air. Every organism in the universe must breathe something. We respire oxygen, some other life form might've evolved to respire nitrogen or sulphur dioxide or whatever.

No matter how you look at it, no atmosphere, no life. The moon has no atmosphere. It's a dull, lifeless orb of dust and rock. Nothing to shield it from the elements, from asteroids, nothing to give life, nothing except the bare and barren rock.

So without air, all there is is barren, lifeless rocks. Simple :)

#9 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

The moon has no atmosphere. It's a dull, lifeless orb of dust and rock. Nothing to shield it from the elements, from asteroids, nothing to give life, nothing except the bare and barren rock.

View Post

The moon does have an atmosphere, it's just very weak (10^15 times smaller than Earth's).

But yes, fundamentally it has no atmosphere.

#10 Soulreaver

Soulreaver

I think therefor I piss

• Project Team
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:58 PM

Every organism in the universe must breathe something.

Our organism gets energy by 'burning' organic matter in the cells and you need oxygen for this. There might be an alternative way of getting this energy that doesn't include any gases and there might be other means to get gases into your body than the usual breathing. Don't set our life form as a model for all other life forms :)

Edited by Soulreaver, 13 January 2006 - 11:59 PM.

Posted Image

ComradeJ: "Who could've suspected the New World Order involved whales?"

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

If there's no gas to breathe, it doesn't matter how it enters your cells.

Even plants need an atmosphere of some sort. It doesn't matter how it works, something is required for synthesis of your necessary bodily molecules, or releasing energy by some means to fuel this synthesis, and your otherwise bodily movement.

Doesn't have to be oxygen, doesn't have to be CO2, but it needs to be SOMETHING.

Therefore without any air or atmosphere, no life can exist.

Even if it respires anaerobically, the stuff it respires must come from somewhere. It needs the materials to respire, which must either be in the gas somewhere, or the result of some other organism's existence, living or dead.

Trust me. It makes sense :lol:

#12 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

what about the fact that life on earth started in the waters, and indirectly the life in the waters created the atmosphere for earth so that we could start dragging our slimy bodies onto land?

thats at least the stuff i learned in school, first there was algae and small stuff in the water which turned water into oxygen and other gases, which then went up into the air. then the bacterias and stuff started to evolve to use the new gases created more effectively(basically the "michocondrie"[don't know how its spelled, but its basically that bacterial lifeform which turns oxygen into energy and co2] was the invention of fire for evolution.).

anyway, the definition air can be many things. if you are thinking there was no oxygen, then we probably would have been living off c02 or some other gas. if there was no atmosphere at all we probably would have been some bacterias living under a layer of ice of nothing. etc etc. but usually, where there is water, there is life...

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#13 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

To perform anaerobic respiration (glycolysis, the first stage of cellular respiration which turns 1 glucose into 2 G3Ps or PGAL [phosphoglyceraldehyde]), one must already have glucose or a sugar in the cytosol. That's impossible if you live on a world with no atmosphere, because you can't just create simple 6 carbon sugars from nowhere without life already there.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#14 Shuya-Lee

Shuya-Lee
  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Projects:Documentry on Emo

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:01 AM

Personnally i think the Scientists got it Wrong

Every Organism on Earth requires some form of atmosphere to live. but we are a minor part of universes. there will be other life out there an i reckon that they wont require air/water/weed whatever to live. they just live. our human imaginations are not good enought to think that things can do things that we cant. take for example our mythical creatures

Unicorn = Horse with a Horn
Minotaur= bullman
Centaur= horse man
Aliens= strange representation of a man (the grey figure one)

they are all related to things that are on our planet
the only mythical creature i can believe in is the Dragon

Dragons were around Northen Europe in the 1000's give or take a hundred years and what were they based on?? Dinosaurs maybe, some strange afican lizard.

ok
1) in those days people did not have the technology to dig up dinosaur bones so this crosses this off
2) Dragons breathe fire and fly. i dont think the Europeans or Chinese would have had Flying Lizards in those days due to the climates. any form of flying lizard is Rainforest type from South America and this land was not discovered (on a large scale) until 1462.

thinking that humans are to dumb to create something themselves this great i think dragons were real and people actually fought them.

so whats to say things cant live without air?

#15 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

what about the fact that life on earth started in the waters, and indirectly the life in the waters created the atmosphere for earth so that we could start dragging our slimy bodies onto land?

thats at least the stuff i learned in school, first there was algae and small stuff in the water which turned water into oxygen and other gases, which then went up into the air. then the bacterias and stuff started to evolve to use the new gases created more effectively(basically the "michocondrie"[don't know how its spelled, but its basically that bacterial lifeform which turns oxygen into energy and co2] was the invention of fire for evolution.).

anyway, the definition air can be many things. if you are thinking there was no oxygen, then we probably would have been living off c02 or some other gas. if there was no atmosphere at all we probably would have been some bacterias living under a layer of ice of nothing. etc etc. but usually, where there is water, there is life...

View Post

Yes. In the aquatic instance, the water is the 'biosphere', so to speak. And even if it is not, there is oxygen in the water, which, on this planet and probably others like it, is needed for life.

so whats to say things cant live without air?

View Post

And how are they going to get/make food? They just going to eat themselves? Because I don't think that works.

Plants are required to photosynthesise to create glucose and other molecules for non-photosynthetic organisms to eat. Photosynthesis requires an atmosphere. As Spencer said, you can't make glucose and other stuff without some form of an atmosphere. It doesn't create them from nothing.

Personnally i think the Scientists got it Wrong

Every Organism on Earth requires some form of atmosphere to live. but we are a minor part of universes. there will be other life out there an i reckon that they wont require air/water/weed whatever to live. they just live. our human imaginations are not good enought to think that things can do things that we cant. take for example our mythical creatures

Unicorn = Horse with a Horn
Minotaur= bullman
Centaur= horse man
Aliens= strange representation of a man (the grey figure one)

they are all related to things that are on our planet
the only mythical creature i can believe in is the Dragon

Dragons were around Northen Europe in the 1000's give or take a hundred years and what were they based on?? Dinosaurs maybe, some strange afican lizard.

ok
1) in those days people did not have the technology to dig up dinosaur bones so this crosses this off
2) Dragons breathe fire and fly. i dont think the Europeans or Chinese would have had Flying Lizards in those days due to the climates. any form of flying lizard is Rainforest type from South America and this land was not discovered (on a large scale) until 1462.

thinking that humans are to dumb to create something themselves this great i think dragons were real and people actually fought them.

I suppose you believe the Balrog of Moria is real too. You never heard of people making shit up? I mean, jesus, mankind has been producing fictional stories of epic nature since God was a kid.

People have been frightened of snakes, bats and lizards since they first met them, because they were bitten by, or feared being bitten by them. Man also has a fear of fire, because it burns (but he knows that if he controls it, it is safe). A rampant giant lizard with wings and able to control and wield fire against him must be absolutely terrifying to someone with an imagination.

And for every story that has a villain, there must be a hero. Named Saint George, or whoever the Chinese go with.

If you like, Shuya, I can go into some real detail about this topic. I once did a 50,000 word essay on dragons, their myths and other aspects. They're about as realistic as the unicorn, minotaur or the cockatrice.

And none of those mythical nonexistent beings give any rise to believe that there should be anything that can live without an atmosphere of any sort.

#16 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

No organism currently known can evolve and be productive on a planet with no atmosphere. Yes, they can live, like the bacteria suspected to be on some asteroids, but not be productive, so you're not going to see a bacteria covered asteroid. It's likely they're very simple prokaryotes also, most likely of the Archea domain. Could anything more than an archaic prokaryote live on a spatial body with no atmosphere? Not likely, and it would likely be in a state of dormancy. To perform any type of catabolic biological synthesis process, one must first have CO2, or if we're talking about some other elementally based organism (Which is implausible), some type of gas, maybe methane or nitrogen oxide. In the case of photosynthesis, it is crucial in the Calvin cycle to be converted to phoshpoglyceraldehyde with ATP and NADPH powering the reaction. This is the part that can happen in the dark, just so you know. Chemosynthesis is pretty much the same way, it requires energy, a chemical (normally sulfuric), and carbon dioxide. You can't just say that it's not required, carbon dioxide is what eventually becomes the carbon in the sugar, the final product, which, in case you didn't know, is that thing that's required for life.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

What he said.

You see, you need atmospheric gas of some description. Without that gas, you can't even get these Archea.

#18 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

Of course they could have been there before. You never know. A planet with primitive bacteria might have had a good portion sheared off by an impact of some magnitude, and some of the bacteria might have survived. That was what was suspected to have happened with that asteroid that they supposedly found bacteria on, but it was determined that the people who investigated it contaminated the samples by accident.
However, I can state with 100% certainty that there is absolutely no chance of life evolving and thriving on a celestial body with no atmosphere, regardless of any biological material present.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#19 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

and people also said with certainty that the earth was flat like 500 years ago.

im always careful about saying "never" and "100% impossible" if we don't have alot of knowledge about the topic. and other lifeforms than those that we are used to here on earth is one of those.

we have no clue about whats out there, and how things can have developed differently. a silicon-based rock-creature might exist out there somewhere in the vacuum of space. a creature which lives inside the sun might be possible, there are theories about bacterias living inside liquid ice(don't remember the details about that, but the ice got gelatinious or something when it got really cold.) in meteors after what i can recall.

but if you are just thinking pure bacterial lifeforms based on the elements that we have in our atmosphere, i won't disagree with that. its not like a fish has a easy time living on land.

Edited by duke_Qa, 17 January 2006 - 08:23 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#20 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:15 AM

You need some type of organic material to survive. Everything does. It powers the production of ATP, which powers pretty much everything. Yes, you can digest proteins, and that's what you see happening when during the course of starvation, someone's stomach puffs up. A silicon based rock creature would still need some type of silicon based sugar, and would also need some type of silicon based amino silicate, and would also need some type of gas to take in. It's basic biochemistry.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users