rohan

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ton_*

Guest_Ton_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hey celegrin

First i would like to say great looking mod, cant wait to play it.
I have a suggestion as well,
In the movie the two towers we all saw the helms deep defence with the farmers stableboys and all, altough the women were in the caves.....right? maybe you can loose the women in the peasants battalion and give them a helmet and green cape when toggled the sword and shield option? I dont know if that is a lot of work, its just an idea. Suggestion 2 at the defence of helms deep we saw a lot of spears en spear trowing, so maybe its an idea to reskin the easterlings to rohan spearmen? I'm very bad at mod making so it's just a suggestion maybe you'll like it.
To level the hero range for gondor, maybe you could add damrod and/ or the other guy, whats his name........... who was killed in osgiliath by gothmog. They could just as your hama and gamling figure be as weaker heros to be stronger around faramir (and maybe beregond for boromir)?

just ideas....... no demands

keep up the good work

thanks, from the Netherlands

#2 thursti

thursti

Ruler of No One, Slave of Many

• Project Team
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

you mean madril?

#3 -Glorfindel-

-Glorfindel-
  • New Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:30 PM

good post

#4 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:04 PM

good post

Not quite.

You've missed the point in adding Gamling and Hama, Ton. They're not there to add to the Rohan faction, they're there to make up for the loss of Legolas. So no, I'm not adding Madril or Damrod or Beregond.

You're suggestions for Helm's Deep are interesting, but far too much work for just one campaign mission. Don't forget, this is the Elven Alliance.

However, thanks for your suggestions :dry: . Thanks for taking an interest.

Edited by Celeglin, 15 January 2006 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Guest_ton_*

Guest_ton_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

the rohan spearmen werent meant just for helms deep, but a improvement to rohan tactial defence of castles or anything else you'd like to do with them.
It would just boost rohans karakter realisticly, only eomer and eowyn throw spears, but the rohirrim or the rohan peasants dont, its just a thing i think would be cool to see, a rain of spears on an isengard battering ram. Spears shall be shaken, "Theoden King"
Indeed, its the elven alliance, so maybe you could keep these ideas in your safe for your next mod?

Ton

#6 thursti

thursti

Ruler of No One, Slave of Many

• Project Team
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:47 AM

whats karakter? Most people don't waste their spears by throwing them

#7 The Elven Prince

The Elven Prince
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

There different sort off spears. And men throw spears look to the olympic games throwing spears is a sport
The way is shut (legolas standing at the front of the Dimmholt)

Posted Image

#8 Boy_suicide

Boy_suicide
  • Members
  • 226 posts
  • Projects:Projects of some kind.
  •  Blue Text! YAY!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

What I hate about spear throwing as primary attacks are that they never run out of spears. Sure, the trebuchets and arrows, but it just looks ubur wierd for one person to grab a spear out of nowhere constantly.

#9 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:33 AM

Technically however, No elves were at the Defense of Helms Deep. Peter Jackson just needed a way to explain how 10,000 formidable troops couldn't penetrated the Hornburg agains a horribly prepared defense.

#10 arz

arz
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

it worked though. Loads of people prefere the elves at helms to no elves at helms
"After all, how can a mere dragon expect to tell a man like yourself what to do? In fact, everyone should stand in awe of your brilliance of finding the only dead end."
- Saphira

Posted Image

#11 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

I guess...I just don't like how they decided to kill someone who wasn't even there in the first place. Esspecially how he was a commanding elf (a commander.)

#12 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

Peter Jackson just needed a way to explain how 10,000 formidable troops couldn't penetrated the Hornburg agains a horribly prepared defense.

No, that is not why Peter Jackson put the Elves in Helm's Deep. Let me quote myself:

No, you're wrong. PJ's intent (straight from the horse's mouth) was to continue the development of the theme of death. In the novels, the Elves were used to highlight the power of death, mainly because they couldn't die. We see this most predominantly through Arwen, who gives up her yadada (you know the story). Furthermore, the story ends with (how I see it) the metaphorical death of Elrond and Galadriel. If we move further back in the history of Middle-Earth, it is usually the death of Elves that is given the greater potency (Luthien (her choice of mortality is highlighted, rather than the death of Beren), Thingol (his death was enough to spark age-long hate between Elves and Dwarves), and Beleg (symbolises that Men are the source of the Elven downfall [and, in turn, the loss of the past]) are a few of the major ones).

As death was one of the most powerful themes running through the course of these novels, the film makers wanted to flush this out onto the big screen (in case some of you hadn't noticed, the films are and were meant to be a representation of the themes of LotR, more so than the exact story). One of the most obvious places where this was done is the emphasis placed on Arwen's story: as she embodies the theme itself, this was a no brainer. The next instance is much more subtle and comes just after the Fellowship escapes Moria: everyone in the Fellowship looks incredibly sad and crestfallen, but look at Legolas. If anything, Legolas looks confused, showing that he does not fully understand death (though we know Legolas has seen death as Elves were killed in the rescue of Gollum in Mirkwood, the fact that this could not be shown on film negates it (once again, putting theme higher than tiny details)).

Finally, we come to Haldir. In the film, his thematic role is that of a "mini-Arwen". Those who have not read the books may not have totally understood the severe consequences of Arwen's decision; the consequence for Haldir, immediate death, is (of course) evident. As Haldir has had little screentime and character development - what little development he has had, as can be seen earlier in this thread, makes him seem rather stuck up and unlikeable - up until his death, it would be ridiculous for the film makers to assume that the audience would feel loss when the character dies. However, coupled with the thematic detail covered earlier as well as the images of the dead Elves, it is here where the theme of death in the films hits it's climax (sure, you have the deaths of Denethor and Theoden to come, but they represent other themes (not going into those right now... I've gone off topic too many times as is)). It's not that Haldir dies because he was distracted by Aragorn that makes his death memorable, it's the theme. If at this point the viewer hasn't picked up on it, said viewer needs to look a little deeper than the plot.

That all focuses on Haldir, but it applies to all the Elves at Helm's Deep.

Edited by Celeglin, 19 February 2006 - 10:06 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

I understand what you are saying, I just think it was stretching it a bit. Oh well. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users