#1 user_unknown

user_unknown

Federation Supreme Commander

• Hosted
  • 404 posts
  • Projects:Event Horizon

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

EDIT: This was meant to be a poll, but for some reason it didn't work :w00t:

Anyway, just wondering how many people are intending to start their own mod. I know people may not want to announce what their mod is just yet, but it would be nice to get a rough idea of how many we are going to get.

I'm thinking about making a TC but it will have to wait till the summer as I am going to be far too busy with uni exams and project and other work to do anything before then...

Edited by DJRowley, 28 January 2006 - 10:29 PM.

#2 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Me and Slye fox might be doing at least part of Sigma Invasion (currently in quiet development) in EAW. But it's wait and see, I haven't really looked into modding EAW much yet.

#3 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

The only thought I'd have for a TC would be a Star Trek total conversion. But I don't think Paramount would be too impressed with that seeing as they've recently announced a new Star Trek RTS from the makes of Star Trek Armada.

I'll have a look around at the games coding, but it just doesn't inspire me that much EaW. I would have much prefered an original title than a Star Wars game in all honesty. I just feel they've been too limited by the franchise for what they could have done and what could have been a genre setting game, and instead is a mediocre rehash of late 90s games.

#4 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

The coding doesn't look that bad, but I'd just make something for personal use. :)

#5 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

I have considered it for a beasty project, but I doubt I'd ever find the staff to pull it off, so I likely won't be touching it. I'm tired of Star Wars games; three or five come out every bloody year. It's a shame really, because I thought the concept behind the mod was a damned good one;
http://davidhunter.g...osiaGothica.doc

#6 sam

sam

Brother Captain

• Hosted
  • 386 posts
  • Projects:Only War, Pacific at War
  •  Brother Captain

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

Little bit of a late reply, but never mind

Obviously we'll be making Only War 2, but I recently thought about a second idea, one based in the ww2 era, following the chain of events in the island and naval combat which took place between the US and Japan.

Currently it's just me, if anyone else out there is interested, I'd like to hear from you :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I am the Hammer

#7 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

The real issue at hand is, that mod support is going to be quite poor. Although we have the tools on hand to do it, it seems that there won't be much in terms of support at all; you are even disallowed from posting anything about mods on the official forums - how's that for poor?

#8 crave22

crave22

sup dawg

• Project Team
  • 4,295 posts
  • Projects:Feeding Myself to a Koala
  •  Retired RPG Guild Staff

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

Then apparently you haven't heard the word from Petro:

Hi Guys,

It truly is amazing what the modders have done and hopefully shows the community how easy it is to customize EAW. With that said, I've received e-mails from fans asking "what is left?" There are concerns that much of the game has been revealed.

Our answer:

You've only scratched the surface. The maps used in the demo are just the tutorial maps and do not reflect the designs found in the full product. Also, there are events and story elements in the full product you currently are not experiencing from an altered version of the demo.

I'm not saying "stop playing the mods." I just want to make sure you guys know that there is plenty left to see and experience in the full game.

Thanks guys!

Source: EaW Nexus. There is also a Q&A on their front page.
EaW Nexus

It looks like there's gonna be plenty of support for modders.

Edited by crave22, 10 February 2006 - 10:36 PM.

Posted Image

#9 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

That, does not suggest to me at any real level that there's going to be much support. They've basically said 'yes, we will release an SDK of sorts', but it also suggests to me that their 'Post Launch Support Plan' said to include some form of support is just another way of saying 'we're going to release some tools for the community'.

Their site does not include any information about community modding, and although tools will be available to download, you are not able to discuss modding on their site.

Additionally, when they say that 'they're amazed by what modders etc' have been doing, they're really saying, 'we can't believe so many idiots illegally modified the demo'.

#10 crave22

crave22

sup dawg

• Project Team
  • 4,295 posts
  • Projects:Feeding Myself to a Koala
  •  Retired RPG Guild Staff

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:25 AM

What do you mean their site has no mention of community modding? Hell, they've linked to one of the mod groups on their links page. :)

Lucas Arts is the one who doesn't advocate modding of EaW, but Petroglyph appears to be supportive of it. It's the LA forum that doesn't allow discussion of mods, but Petroglyph doesn't even have an official forum. ;)
Posted Image

#11 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:03 PM

A Freespace 2 conversion would be good, although you'd have to make up a brand new planetside system. Also, Star Trek could be done as GT suggested, and Paramount would be a bit pissed but they can't really stop you...
Also they've got a totally different type of game coming out anyways.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#12 sam

sam

Brother Captain

• Hosted
  • 386 posts
  •  Brother Captain

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

I wouldn't be so sure of that :blink:

People seem to be thinking too inside the box for my liking, too many space game mods, how about something different, like a pure earth based mod with chains of islands to capture and sea battles, or something that takes place in the sky with floating fortresses and air ships and stuff, or even stuff in alternate dimensions. Don't get me wrong, space based mods are cool, but I just think they're too like vanilla EaW.
I am the Hammer

#13 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:05 PM

A Freespace 2 conversion would be good, although you'd have to make up a brand new planetside system. Also, Star Trek could be done as GT suggested, and Paramount would be a bit pissed but they can't really stop you...
Also they've got a totally different type of game coming out anyways.

Paramount can do a LOT to stop you if they so desire - and I wouldn't be surprised if they did - they don't really like seeing Star Trek content in Star Wars games. There have been a few CnDs both ways around with this before.

I wouldn't be so sure of that :D

People seem to be thinking too inside the box for my liking, too many space game mods, how about something different, like a pure earth based mod with chains of islands to capture and sea battles, or something that takes place in the sky with floating fortresses and air ships and stuff, or even stuff in alternate dimensions. Don't get me wrong, space based mods are cool, but I just think they're too like vanilla EaW.

Well, it's the immediate thing that springs to mind for most people. What disappoints me most of the time is 'wouldn't it be cool to put this game into EaW' mod ideas. Get some originality, if you want to play Starcraft, PLAY STARCRAFT.

Oh and you wouldn't be stealing my 'Neo Orthosia Gothica' concepts there would you :blink:? (Sky based islands, flying battleships, cyberspace....) :D

#14 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:28 AM

Looking to start a Battlestar Galactica (Re-imagined) mod if anyone's interested, PM me if you'd be willing to help.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#15 sam

sam

Brother Captain

• Hosted
  • 386 posts
  •  Brother Captain

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:34 PM

Oh and you wouldn't be stealing my 'Neo Orthosia Gothica' concepts there would you ;)? (Sky based islands, flying battleships, cyberspace....) :p

No I was actually thinking more of crimson skies, but never mind :D
I am the Hammer

#16 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:33 PM

Oh and you wouldn't be stealing my 'Neo Orthosia Gothica' concepts there would you ;)? (Sky based islands, flying battleships, cyberspace....) :D

Get over yourself...

#17 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Oh and you wouldn't be stealing my 'Neo Orthosia Gothica' concepts there would you :p? (Sky based islands, flying battleships, cyberspace....) :)

No I was actually thinking more of crimson skies, but never mind :p

From what I recall, Crimson Skies was an awesome board game; although I never played the Pc Game. Visually, it's a great universe to play with.

Oh and you wouldn't be stealing my 'Neo Orthosia Gothica' concepts there would you :p? (Sky based islands, flying battleships, cyberspace....) :p

Get over yourself...

Right back at you, I was being sardonic.

#18 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

Well when you speak like that all the time to everyone it kinda gets draining and annoying after a while.

#19 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

Please can we try and stay on topic.

#20 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted