Beta 5

7 replies to this topic

#1 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

I've sent Thudo the new beta 5. It is now restructured to separate the race AI code from the core AI code. It contains one hell of a lot of fixes for the beta 4 problems (and more), should offer a better fight for map control at the start (but don't expect wonders) and more reliable capturing of listening posts.

Smaller armies (< 2000) now get an 'army leader' when they attack. The purpose of this leader is to keep the attack force together. Separated forces can get killed very easy, therefore it's important to keep them together. Jumping and deep striking is back and should be better than ever.
Allied support is better but still a bit unreliable. As soon as they are attacking it's hard to convince them to support.

I also tried vehicle repair, but it's not possible because the entitygroups are not usable, at least I didn't found out how (and I tried a lot of things).

There are more changes, but I can't remember them all at the moment. This time I made much more test games than in beta 4, therefore you'll probably don't get bad surprises (at least I hope so!).

#2 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

Thank you Arkhan. It is very nice to know that the main coder is listening to us and trying his very best to please us. Thank you once again.

#3 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

Impressive work. Just had a quick look and all I can say is : Both thumps up !

Any idea how to handle code which is matching some squads of different races like I currently do for DoWpro.

Something like chaos_marines squad will CC space_marines, scouts, eldar guardians, ork shootas ...

This will give a matrix with entries for different races all in one file.
Is this core. I don't think so. Is this only one race specific ? Not really.

#4 Excedrin

Excedrin
  • Project Team
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:58 AM

I'll test it when it's up... it sounds good, especially code for keeping stuff together.

#5 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

Any idea how to handle code which is matching some squads of different races like I currently do for DoWpro.

Something like chaos_marines squad will CC space_marines, scouts, eldar guardians, ork shootas ...

This will give a matrix with entries for different races all in one file.
Is this core. I don't think so. Is this only one race specific ? Not really.

Well, provided that this is your dancing table, then it needs to be in the tactics section. Each race has no its own infantry- and vehicletactic, which is inherited from the core infantry- and vehicletactics. Therefore you would have to overwrite the CheckForDancing() methods in the race specific infantry- and vehicletactic files.
The table in the space marine folder would therefore contain all the space marine counters to every other race, the eldar folder all the eldar counters to the other races, etc.
I would only make it core if you can make the calculation based on the unitstats, but I'm not sure if this is usefull or even possible.

I don't know the details about your implementation, therefore that's all I can say at the moment... :p

#6 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:05 AM

I guess this is the new code going to have race folders (which auto-load based on what races are present). Neato.

I'm all for this, and if you do make it so, I'd love to get someone here who knows it indepth to change the wiki (or rather, add to it, if appropriate, since the default AI will not use the system), so people all know how to add new race files.

Will be much cooler, will be adding a copy Ork race probably, which will be made easier by this.

#7 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:46 AM

Everything about DoW/WA AI making changed with Arkhan's new AI Repository! He's designed it to be 100x easier to use then my old Repository. Its incredibly a joke to add/remove mods from it and safeguard other people's mod features from the public. The seperation of CORE vs MOD AI is a god-sent beyond all telling and I believe those who haven't seen it will be floored. Very impressed by this and a tremendous THANKS should go out to Arkhan for beginning the next checkpoint and evolution to this AI project!
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#8 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:11 AM

Just like ThetaOrion I went back with some Beta 3 testing, until Beta 5 is available.

The waiting Thudo argh, it's burning I say, burning ! :p

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users