#21 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:52 AM

<Screams, really really loudly>
Wait, what was the question again? I'm sure someone answered it already...
I think this has gone a tad off topic...

Edited by Jeeves, 16 February 2006 - 07:15 AM.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#22 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

Read the first post.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#23 Eternal2u

Eternal2u
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

Call me greedy..call me selfish...call me whatever you want..

Personally i would no questing asked..

If i could live for hundreads of years being cloned and having my memorys copied over each time that i had to die due to illness etc then i would do it in a minute..

I would hope my son and wife would do the same, but if they didnt, then i would probably stop the clonning at that point because my son and wife mean the world to me and without them there would really be no reason for me to continue to be here in all honesty...

So yes and no, if my wife and kid followed suit yes if not, no.

The reason i would do this is simply because i could bring all the past knowledge of the world and how it is in our day to the new age in such a new way than ever before.....

Imagine the possiblities of teaching people the way it was in our day to allow for there blessing to be extended from what they already are to realize how good they would have it then....

or maybe they would just brush me off like some of us do already with our grand parents...

Its not even about justification of it tho to me, i'm simply greedy enough to take the chance to spend the rest of my time on this world with my wife and kid simply put, and i would do what they would want to be done.

#24 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:39 PM

That will probably never happen for centuries, unfortunately. While I do relish the thought of living forever, I cannot see how it could be done. The human brain stores thousands of terabytes of information, and we still don't completely know how we do it.
Right now, the technology exists to completely eliminate organ wait lists, cure infertility, and allow complete organ replacements (Such as with lung cancer, remove the lung and put in a grown one, makes life easier). Unfortunately, nobody's doing it yet because they think it's "unsafe".
If one of you wants to volunteer and a couple others can raise funds and doctors, I'll do it for you.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#25 i z 3 r

i z 3 r
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  •  Druvianism Supporter

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

The growing process is much like growing a tumor, it happens the same way and there are a couple ways you can do it), and wait two hours and you'll have a fully functioning organ grown totally in a lab. From there, it's just a matter of making sure your body will accept it (Same blood type) and putting it in.
Total cost: No more than $10,000 without insurance.
No clones required.

Spencer if you are right....
Can you please find the articles where you found this information from for me?
Because if kind of thing can happen... I know it won't be allowed in this Presidency, hopefully the next. There are millions of people out there in the world that are on bottom less and timeless waiting lists for organs. This is a matter of saving lifes, we are not playing god, though some may think.

This is actually awsome, imagine a hardcore smoker, has really black and cancerous lungs, he can just have a lab grow them transplant them, and thoes lungs would be good for another..... long time.

Wait....

Think about this. Couldn't this be a temporary cure for cancer? Say you have cancer of the stomache, and only the stomache, you can get a blood sample and have a new stomache grown, remove the old cancerous stomache and transplant the new one... No more cancer? Right?

Am I on the right thinking path?

But as I said before please get me that article information, I will seriously contact my congressmen, and I would march and picket for this.

This issue touches close to home with me as I have a dieing relative in need of numerous transplants.

#26 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

Yes, you are on the right track, very much so. Organ transplants like this can solve a multitude of cancer related problems. Unfortunately, the technology won't be applied for a couple years because of the NIH and FDA getting their claws into it, however, eventually, it will be just that easy.
I remember one article being in Popular Science, I'll see if I can dig that up.

Edit:
The procedure I'm talking about:
http://www.sciam.com...4A9809EC588EF21
The less safe, easier procedure with ethical boundaries and sheep involved:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7631877/
http://www.newscient...le.ns?id=dn4492
The second one is an older idea from the stone age of biotechnology, the first one is cutting edge. You can tell because Scientific American tends to have the best stuff and everyone else interviews the scientists who majored in journalism.

I don't want to give you false hope though, this is five, maybe six years away from being a viable clinical treatment.

Edited by MSpencer, 24 February 2006 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#27 i z 3 r

i z 3 r
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  •  Druvianism Supporter

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

I don't want to give you false hope though, this is five, maybe six years away from being a viable clinical treatment.

It's not false hope. We just need to figure out a way, to convince our president or the next to support stem-cell research, and have him/her realise the importance signifigance and the amount of people we can save with this.

#28 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Its never a false hope.
Science advances at such an icreasing pace whats predicted in ten years may well be brought into existance in two. I think the key is to not set dates, just cross your fingers and never hold your breath.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#29 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

It is a false hope. It will be torn apart by the NIH and FDA for years until it can be used about ten years down the line. It happens with every drug and every medical procedure developed in the United States. Familiarize yourselves with the system and you will see why it is so infuriating.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users