10 replies to this topic

#1 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

OK, so I've finally got round to installing EaW and playing the game. Now, what interest's me most about the game is galactic conquest mode which I quite enjoy, until that is, I get to the combat aspects. I really enjoy RTS' and the combat aspect of this is really the RTS part with the galactic conquest being a second game almost. Unfortunately, the ridiculously fast paced combat for me, is a real turn off for the game.

I was playing today, on medium, as the Empire, assaulting a Pirate planet. Sent down some troops, and within less than a minute of attacking a pirate position, half my troops had died. And soon, after sending Darth Vader to capture a build point, i'd lost everything except Darth Vader and The Emperor. Then I had a space battle, and while I vastly outnumbered my enemy, I literally moved them forward and my few ships had decimated the enemy, without me doing anything. It was like in the tutorial, I selected to attack the shield generator, and by the time I had destroyed that, before I got a click off for another section it had been destroyed.

Now I'm no slow coach when it comes to gaming. I play a lot of FPS' and can react quickly, but in EaW, everything just seems to flash past me. I barely get time to send an attack order before bullets are flying everywhere and half my troops are dead or the enemy is. I know you can turn down the game speed, but that hardly seems to do anything anyway. Does anyone else find the game speed just too fast?

#2 Boy_suicide

Boy_suicide
  • Members
  • 226 posts
  • Projects:Projects of some kind.
  •  Blue Text! YAY!

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, the soldiers die too quick... And it's strictly which unit VS which unit... A Star Destroyer can destroy 25 CP worth of Incom Corporation T-65B or T-65C A1/2 X-Wing Space Superiority Starfighters.

#3 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

All we have to wait for then, is someone to make a mod that makes it last longer.

#4 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

I have a mod on that allows "epic battles" by increasing the unit limit. Unfortunately, for planetary battles it seems the same for me, but the factories keep churning out those awful death-artillery pieces. I ran into twelve of those with four AT-ATs and within twenty seconds, Colonel Veers and his men were dead!
I'm liking space battles, but most of these land battles are crap. Also to stop the rebels from raiding Corellia, I built a Level 4 Space Station, a gravity well generator, and the hypervelocity gun, and I have a Star Destroyer, Interdictor, two Victory's, a Broadside, and four Tartans as my sector forces. Ackbar won't be escaping again.

EDIT:
Another thing that bugs me is the fact that a company of infantry can take down an AT-AT, or at least pretty close. While my AT-ATs are dealing with stupid infantry (Note: "Our blasters have no effect") and Plex soldiers, the enemy is moving Mon Mothma's Bagpipes into position to blow me to hell.

Edited by MSpencer, 21 February 2006 - 05:28 PM.

Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#5 crave22

crave22

sup dawg

• Project Team
  • 4,295 posts
  • Projects:Feeding Myself to a Koala
  •  Retired RPG Guild Staff

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

You do realise you can pause the action and issue orders, don't you? ;) The button is right above the mini-map next to the fast-foward icon.
Posted Image

#6 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:19 PM

If the idea was to keep pausing, why not just make it a Turn Based Combat environment? It's real time, and therefore I like to play it in real time without stopping the action every 5 seconds to issue orders. There's no real fight, it's more, position troops together, issue attack order, resolve. There's no real strategy involved because by the time you've employed any half of the units involved have already died. Compared to the real time battles of Rome: Total War, sieging cities, positions troops, desperately trying to defend a line, Empire at War combat seems to be over in few mere minutes, rather than some tactical encounter.

#7 Boy_suicide

Boy_suicide
  • Members
  • 226 posts
  •  Blue Text! YAY!

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

I dunno how to solve it, really. The tactical part is basically the Galactic Map.

#8 crave22

crave22

sup dawg

• Project Team
  • 4,295 posts
  • Projects:Feeding Myself to a Koala
  •  Retired RPG Guild Staff

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:26 AM

You see, my battles usually last up to an hour, a minimum of forty miniutes. Mostly because I prefer to play defense until I build up my forces enough to push back the enemy. I was playing a skirmish on Endor the other day, and it was near constant fighting for key positions like the abandoned sensor array (which was a god-send when I was calling in my bombing runs) and some of the mining facilities. It was mostly non-stop action, especially when the Imps landed a sizable force just as I was about to capture the reinforcement point they were landing at. Huge firefight.

I don't use the pause that much. Mostly just to pick my units out in the heat of combat, and then I micro-manage them. I usually use the attack move feature, and enjoy turning on cinematic mode and watching it unfold like a movie.
Posted Image

#9 Boy_suicide

Boy_suicide
  • Members
  • 226 posts
  •  Blue Text! YAY!

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:42 AM

Heh. One time, I had a battle on a place where te enemy had alien allies, humans with Platoon X 2 and Plex X 2. My enemy had these forces: TIE Mauler X 2 Stormtrooper X 3 ATST X 1 and some other stuff... I built turrets all around the base, and set 2 platoons to guard a command post, which was somehow bugged so I couldn't capture it << and all else to guard each turret, not thinking my guard units would die. When their 4 ATSTs and lots of stormtroopers came, THEY captured the command post I couldn't capture. I could capture it afterwords, mysteriously. They sent some Maulers, and had all troops soon... Before their attack on my units, I turned them on take cover mode... They killed All stormtroopers, ATSTs, and Maulers O_o *With the help of a anti-infantry turret that was destroyed by some ATSTs......* In the background, my Plexies somehow TRIED to kill all the humans, but most of them fell to the 7 turrets I had. Heh.
Edit: Lasted 27 min. :)

Edited by Boy_suicide, 22 February 2006 - 02:42 AM.

#10 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  • Projects:Making a master plan to destroy the consumerist society.
  •  Revora's Local Forum Whore

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

Try game options for starters guys..

Lurking moar since 2004 2003!

#11 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

Try game options for starters guys..