hard AI---general vs general

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Invalid

Invalid
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:02 AM

I'm starting a "vs." thing, to see which general is supream when the AI is playing them. so far:::
Nuke vs. Super weapons: nuke
Nuke vs. Airforce: nuke
I'm doing these battles by making a barracks, making rocket launcher dudes, and destroying my command center, and barracks. fast defeat, and then I let the AI duke it out on the 3 player map---I think it's called tournament island.what's going to be interesting is infantry vs. tank.
---more coming---

#2 Logical2u

Logical2u
  • Members
  • 58 posts
  • Projects:Chucking random mod ideas around.

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

Or you could just set two AI against each other online and set yourself up as an Observer, couldn't you?

Anyways, so far your work validates the overall message of the Contra game: Nuke is for rushing. Superweapons and Airforce are for turtling. Get used to it.

-Logical2u

#3 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts
  • Projects:Remix Beta 1.0

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

Anyways, so far your work validates the overall message of the Contra game: Nuke is for rushing. Superweapons and Airforce are for turtling. Get used to it.

No... Nuke has proven to be the best rush AND the best Turtle. his defenses are superb, the retaliator is the only defense that EXCELS against every unit type. Powerful air to ground spresses enemy artillery with ease. In the late game he has the strongest superweapon AND he has the super nuke cannon that in large numbers is incredible at supressing an enemies movement. with just 4 of them you can destroy an enemy powerplant every 45 seconds. Imagine 8 of them destroying a powerplant every 23 seconds.

his ground units are extrodinary, especialy when upgraded. An overlord with the NukeRL can easily match an emperor tank in a 1on1. his interceptor is unmatched and can even neutron ground units, his artillery is exceptional, his tanks are well above average, his upgraded red gaurd are stronger than mini-gunners (nuke bullets kill tanks) his nuke_tank hunters are better than even PTRK troopers.

I love nuke general, he's a blast to play, but theres not even resemblence of fair balance. Consider this, his ground attack is more powerful than tank general, his air attack is more powerful than airF general, his superweapons are more powerful than superweapon general... What is there left to ask about that?

Edited by Pendaelose, 12 March 2006 - 04:46 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#4 Hydra

Hydra
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

I tried that and it says you need non ai player to start or something along those lines

#5 Logical2u

Logical2u
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

Well, just as an AI the Nuke general is pretty good, but I agree in the fact that he's extremely unbalanced vs. most generals.

What's the PTRK Trooper, is it not in the game yet or is it a RL unit?

#6 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

What's the PTRK Trooper, is it not in the game yet or is it a RL unit?

The heavy Anti-Tank trooper. In the code he's called PTRK. I code alot more than I play, so someitmes my names for thing are funny ie: Cybr = robot general
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#7 Logical2u

Logical2u
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

You mean the big cannon guy for Infantry General?
Yea, he IS a pushouver compared to the Nuke Crushers.

Isn't the Nuke General getting Nerfed in the next release tho?

Kind of like how Laser got nerfed between ZH and Contra?

#8 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

Isn't the Nuke General getting Nerfed in the next release tho?

He already nerphed apropriately in Remix, I don't know about in Contra.05. Creator hasn't said anything to me about what he's doing with Nuke
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Invalid

Invalid
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:30 AM

CYBER VS. LAZER::: LAZER

#10 Logical2u

Logical2u
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

That's a bit of surprise for me, and yet not.

Cyber lacks the heavy tanks (and the scripting to use them) that Laser uses, I suppose, so Laser probably just Gen leveled and Superweaponed Cyber, right?

#11 Invalid

Invalid
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

yeah, pretty much. the robot general wasn't defending one of the 3 sides of the base good enough, lazer general moved in, flanked, and finished them off with a super weapon...or 2...

#12 Nuka5

Nuka5

Maps- now with hills for her pleasure.

• Project Team
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

Coincidently, I was watching an Inf. Vs. Tank General Battle the Other Day. I didn't quite have time to wait it out, but Infantry gen was definately winning, even if he was useing gattling troops mosltly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it me or is the Cyber general absolutely crap? Try using him vs. Tank general, it's almost impossible. Yes, I'm not brilliant (or terrible) at generals, and I don't turtle.

I just created a force with some of his simple units, and when i Attacked the Enemy, it took 2 Overlords to smash it to bits, without me getting a single kill!

#13 ShadowofaDoubt

ShadowofaDoubt

Psychotic Psion

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  Resident Psychotic Psion

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

Robotics general plays like the GLA, in a sense. Use hit and run tactics, and use leechs to disable the overly strong units like overlords.

You can't gather up a force and charge, that will result in failure. You have to be sneaky. Use leechs to sap away enemy power and advanced tech if applicable, then when the defends go down strike from different angles at the same time to over-run the enemy base.

You just gotta out think your enemy using robotics general, thats all.

#14 Capt.Drake

Capt.Drake

Rangers Lead the Way

• Project Team
  • 1,851 posts
  • Projects:A new map for Remix Mod
  •  Remix Escalation Alpha Tester ,Camo Artist and part-time Mapper

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

But in the beginning I rush, I build two war factories,and produce scout and guardian dronbes and rush, works perfect with 100000$ starting money :sad:

Edited by Capt.Drake, 14 March 2006 - 07:02 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Invalid

Invalid
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Very true. the cyber general is good at rushes. you can get 6 sentinal drones, and 12 guardian drones over to the opponent's base before they can even start building base defences... but if you wait too long, you have to play like the GLA, and put groups of units to guard your base everywhere...

by the way, anyone is welcome to do one of these generals battles on their own, just tell ahead of time

Edited by Invalid, 14 March 2006 - 08:39 PM.

#16 ShadowofaDoubt

ShadowofaDoubt

Psychotic Psion

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  Resident Psychotic Psion

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

I suppose you could rush, but I don't enjoying rushing because I'm too much of a defensive player. :ohmy:

Plus just sending in a few leechs to disable the war factory, barracks, and tech center and waiting for level 5 is fun for me, because I can wait for DAYS if it means I'll win a match.

#17 Invalid

Invalid
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

Infantry vs. tank vs. flame::: infantry (tank was first to die)
Infantry vs. nuke::: (it was a pretty good battle, both seemed to be winning at times) but nuke won
Tank vs. robot::: tank

#18 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hey, Invalid, this tests are made with Contra .004? I suggest you to try Remix 2.75 too, his AI is very different, with some generals beeing much more agressive, like Laser or Tank (he attacks with waves of huge Emperor groups). :-)

#19 Invalid

Invalid
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

I dont have 2.75, and I'm too lazy to uninstall 04 to get it...is the AI better in remix?
Anyway, I'm goanna do toxin vs. demo now.

#20 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

I dont have 2.75, and I'm too lazy to uninstall 04 to get it...is the AI better in remix?
Anyway, I'm goanna do toxin vs. demo now.

I don't like the word "better" its hard to define and is VERY subjective to opinion. I like the 2.75 AI. Its definatly chalanging, especialy certain generals.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users