#1 Gumby22don

Gumby22don
  • Project Team
  • 144 posts
  •  AWD Development Team
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Co-Designer: RoR 1 and 2

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

Ok, so all excited, I load up WorldBuilder and have a go at making a new multiplayer map.

Then a day or so later, I start this thread.

Anyone else beginning their journey on creating maps with the BFME2 engine, this is for you. I'd like to know exactly what we need to include in a basic way to make a skirmish map for BFME2, and what would be good to put in (say AI waypoints?)

I'll begin with what I've found:

BFME1 map-making tutorial for reference: MEVault Tutorial

A mp skirmish map needs a few basic things that the BFME1 maps did. It needs you to:

1.) Open it up, start a new map, with size and a few basic specs.
On size: 200x200 seems a normal sort of size, and 600x600 the maximum.

2.) Select from Edit -> Edit Player List. Within the form that opens, Click 'Add Skirmish Players'. This adds everything required, as far as I can see, for a 4 player MP Skirmish map. Now Close the form, unless you want to make a 5 or more player map, but I'll leave that to someone else to step out - it seems fairly straightforward, just tedious.

3.) You then need to add the basic Waypoints for BFME2 to give players start positions, in the format Player_#_Start - these are already named in the waypoint list.

4.) In Team Builder select 'PlyrCivilian' and add the number of players that you wish to support in the format: Player_#_Inherit - they can be empty Teams, just make sure they are under PlyrCivilian. I think these are used in the Inherit scripts on map startup.

5. *optional*) For Gollum to be in the map, you then need to add Spawn Points from 1-8 in the format:
You also need to bring in the scripts from another mp map for gollum (i think export and then import will be easiest) - basically the scripts choose a random number 1-8, and then activate a series of scripts 1-8 which check if they are the right number and spawn gollum at their waypoint.

And that is as far as I've gotten in the few hours a night while at work bored beyond belief - well, at least I have my laptop :ohmy:

Anyone care to add to the list? As I'm pretty sure a map with just these steps does _not_ actually work. :(

Don
have a great day
Posted Image

#2 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

good instructions. here are my additions:

1. i don't think player_x_inherit teams are actually necessary in bfme 2.

2. to add outposts, inns and other stuff: select the object tool. then go to ByNativeType -> Neutral -> Structures. Place the object you want (e.g. Outpost), and put in on PlyrNeutral/teamPlyrNeutral. Then select ByNativeType -> Neutral -> Misc_Man_Made -> CaptureFlag. Put this flag very near to your Outpost, also on the neutral team.

3. Find an object called FarmTemplate. Spread a lot of these out on the map (once again on teamPlyrNeutral) on places where the AI should to build its resource structures.

4. I haven't really looked at this, but it seems you have to place AI Markers like 'Gate', to let the AI be able to succesfully build a castle
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users