Mech

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 squido

squido
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

Ok well if you think about it there are loads of games out these days that have mechs. Several of which take place in the near future, like metal gear. I know there are mods based around mechs and the like already out there but what I'm really suggesting is a new unit most likely for the U.S. that is some sort of bipedal or quadruped mech. The load out could be different for each general, for example the super weapons general's mech may have EMP missiles where as the laser general's mech has as expected lasers. Just because it’s a mech doesn’t mean it has to be huge it could be just slightly larger then a tank and still be great. Well... that’s my idea, love it or hate it your call.

#2 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

It isn't a bad idea, however, a sister mod of Project Raptor called Blue Fire is based around Mechs. Not released yet, it is coming along well though.

#3 spartan 117

spartan 117

zealot

• Project Team
  • 377 posts
  • Projects:doing maps and missions together with jsmooth13 and 00nobody
  •  mapper

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:49 AM

no no no, plz no mechs into my beloved ccg zh/pr.

they take the fun out, for what reason ever, they just spoil the fun.
even in empire earth i never play the last 2 ages coz there ppl can build mechs and they are annoying
Posted Image

#4 Ace22

Ace22

Commander of all that is toast

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts
  • Projects:War Games, War Games mod
  •  War Games Recruitment officer

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:36 AM

Gee, that's not completely irrational.

I think that it's a good idea.

#5 HeartbreakOne

HeartbreakOne
  • New Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:36 AM

i agree with spartan. no mechs.

Well thats my opinion.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Not really a Hacker...

#6 Karlos Vandango

Karlos Vandango

I Post Every Second Of My Life

• Project Team
  • 2,139 posts
  • Projects:Beta Tester Project Raptor
  •  The Posting Maniac

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:19 PM

still exo skeleten suits for troops wouldnt be a bad idea?
Posted Image

#7 Ace22

Ace22

Commander of all that is toast

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts
  • Projects:War Games, War Games mod
  •  War Games Recruitment officer

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

Karl is right; if we want mechs or not, we still will have Exosuits.

#8 Vanguard

Vanguard

Modding Guru

• Hosted
  • 2,139 posts
  • Projects:Project Raptor
  •  Stand Down Sir!

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

No, but there are exosuits, which come from a small tech factory.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

- Vanguard

#9 Delta24US

Delta24US

The Japanese are attacking

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

well the future force warrior system for the infantry (kinda like the suits from ghost recon: advanced warfighter) wouldnt be a bad idea either.

It would significantly increase the power and versatility of the US ranger, currently I have absolutely no use for the ranger except for basic base security and capture units.

The flashbang grenades really got me pissed because for moving infantry they rarely hit for efficient damage and once the ranger is within firing range it would almost immediately get slaughtered by a couple red guard soldiers or heavy gunner troops.

bottom line, rangers have no place in generals anymore and neither does the comanche.

I am hoping this was not off topic but just incase it is I will get back on topic:

Mech units would be good only if it was pretty well balanced, and that means no death ray laser that decimates a horde of troops or uberrocketpods that can annihalate a base within seconds.

I think the exoskeleton suit would be a good mech modification upgrade to the US ranger.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"Jesus didn't resurrect. He respawned."

"I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals."

#10 Bismarck

Bismarck

Ineficent poster

• Project Team
  • 345 posts
  • Projects:It's dead! Call Dr. House!

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:43 AM

The exoskeleton idea is just fine with me. But it reminds me about the HEV suit from half-life and the Mjolnir armor Mk. something from halo.
Posted Image!
Ruler of the waves!
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

#11 sath

sath

Death is here!

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  runabout boy

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:08 AM

yeah those suits are... well really handy since gordans hev suit can administer an anidote for poison headcrab neuro toxin (hey that might not be too bad for toxin gen: nerve gas) and master chiefs mjolnir suit comes with a recharging energy shield but an exosuit would point closer to battlearmour from mech assault 2 (or 1 if you have to point that out)
When someone opens up a can of kick butt, then the best thing to do is to open up a can of baked beans

Remember! If you smoke weed you’ll get high, if you smoke a reed you would die

Apparently Donkeys kill more people every year than air-plane crashes

#12 Bismarck

Bismarck

Ineficent poster

• Project Team
  • 345 posts
  • Projects:It's dead! Call Dr. House!

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

Dont forget that the HEV suit can also administer morphine if any major injury has been detected. This would increase the battlefield survivability of a soldier for a short time.
Posted Image!
Ruler of the waves!
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

#13 squido

squido
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

To everyone who think mechs would ruin it, just because its a mech doesnt mean it has to be 80 times the size of everything else as well as 80 times more powerful. If it is significantly more powerful it could be a hero vehicle where only one can exist at a time.

Either way exo skeleton suits would kick ass so I'm game for that idea.
Edit: Perhaps for the exoskeleton is could be a unit that once researched it replaces the ranger in the barracks. Just if thats done It needs to be able to capture still. Possibly as a minus side to it you can not give it flash bangs.

Edited by squido, 02 April 2006 - 02:15 PM.

#14 Vanguard

Vanguard

Modding Guru

• Hosted
  • 2,139 posts
  • Projects:Project Raptor
  •  Stand Down Sir!

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

That would actually require an upgrade of which we don't have many. Each exosuit has three weapons, as listed bellow:

Sniper Exosuit -
Anti-infantry and light vehicle sniper cannon, range 500 m
Back Laser Cannon, range 300 m
Back Rail Gun (Less damaging then the Sabre's gun, but longer range), range 300 m
Speed - Fast
Flight mode - Jetpack
Flight Duration - 10 seconds

Panzer Exosuit -
AP Grenade Launcher, range 300 m
Back Grenade Launcher, range 350 m
Back Missile Launcher, range 350 m
Speed - Slow
Flight mode - None
Flight Duration - N/A

Assault Exosuit
Machine Gun, range 250 m
Back Laser Cannon, range 300 m
Back Linear Cannon (not the laser one, this one fires shells, like a gauss cannon, but less damaging), range 200 m
Speed - Medium
Flight mode - None
Flight Duration - N/A
Posted Image
Posted Image

- Vanguard

#15 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts
  • Projects:War Games Moderator (UNSC), Dragon Slayers Moderator (Link)
  •  You want a piece of me boy?

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

Awesome!

How tall are they? Are they like the Mechassault Battlearmor at 12 ft tall or more like Master Chief where it only adds a few inches?
Posted Image

#16 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

LOL, I don't think they're gonna be Elementals, Link :rolleyes:

Why do they all have laser cannons, tho? I don't think a sniper would need one. He'd be built for speed and covertness.

#17 David J. Oates

David J. Oates
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

This will be interesting to see in practice - I'm glad, however, that it will be a tech building production and not side-specific (particularly US specific), as the US is already slightly an overpowered side, thanks in part to owning the only weapon that can sink any command centre or super weapon in one strike (the cluster bomb).

Assigning exo-suits to any specific side would harm the game-balance, I think - particularly the GLA, who are already a side that is probably the least chosen when people play.

David.

ETA: Here's a thought. The tech dozer bay always seems like a bit of an overkill to me, as being able to produce the dozers of any side kind of defeats the object of picking a strategy side in the first place, as the first thing anyone will do is build the "Master side" dozer to get every super weapon.

How about, if it is possible, scaling down the size of the model, to say repair depot / re-inforcement pad size, as it does take up a bit of space on the map, and giving it the option to produce only one type of dozer - one which can build tech buildings. That way, if the delights of the civilian airport or exo-skeleton factory aren't on the current map, then a quick infantry rush can snag you a dozer that can build them (with obvious restrictions, such as making them hideously expensive to do this way). Giving the place high armour / health would ensure that every side has the opportunity to capture it back and get their own tech dozer. You could always incorporate an unlock patch to allow players to play the master side general if they want (I've seen one available that works, but I'm not sure if it works with Raptor).

Edited by David J. Oates, 02 April 2006 - 09:04 PM.

#18 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

I have nothing to say for the rest od your post because I agree with it, however a correction.

The GLA are used frequently online and when having very small amounts of money to start. The reason? Rush.

#19 crave22

crave22

sup dawg

• Project Team
  • 4,295 posts
  • Projects:Feeding Myself to a Koala
  •  Retired RPG Guild Staff

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

@VG

I thought you said some time ago you were including mechs like those in Ghost in the Shell. :) Unless these are modelled off of those.
Posted Image

#20 David J. Oates

David J. Oates
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:29 PM

The GLA are used frequently online and when having very small amounts of money to start. The reason? Rush.

Hmm - never really used them myself - maybe they work well early on, but for me they always seem to fall apart in the long game, as their defences and AA support suck.

I stand by what I said about the US though - the GPS and cluster bomb are what really sets them apart as the side that can kill any other with one strike. Fortunately, Vanguard (bows down with the obligatory "We're not worthy, We're not worthy"), has said that the GPS will be turned into a tech building, which is great news, but on a personal level, I don't think there should be any weapon in the game that should be capable of taking out a command centre or super weapon in one hit - these things are meant to be big and nasty and requiring a serious commitment of resources and firepower to destroy.

Okay if everyone else had this capability then it might be fair, although crazily out of bounds, but the cluster bomb, as it stands, it ridiculously overpowered. A better approach, as the CB is, in current military parlance, an anti-infantry device, would be to give it immense damage potential against infantry and vehicles, but bugger all against buildings. Think about it - it's shrapnel, basically - it rips infantry and undefended vehicles, but what the hell is it going to do against three feet of concrete - nothing! As it is, it rips through bases like paper. which places the US at a significant advantage, as they can just hold the thing until they hear the "Nuclear silo detected" warning, then let it go to remove the problem - there's no "Will it, won't it?" question here - if you set a CB in a particular area, everything is nuked.

Just my pet peeve, but without the CB and GPS, the US would be extremely balanced with the other sides. At the moment, it has a significant advantage.

David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users