Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:41 PM

Posted Image

The original classic concerns commericalism consuming society.

Replace commericalism with noob and society with revora.

Its sad but the smell of noobism is beginning to get strong.

People using multiple accounts, asking stupid questions or acting in an way which just makes us all ¬__¬

So first of could these rules be made plain and simple and KNOW when you register

1. Don't rip other peoples work, i.e. take credit for something you didn't do.
2. Please never ask a. when is this mod released or b. is this mod dead, it is BLOODY annoying
3. Don't ask an question repeately.
4. Use grammar and be direct. Secret/Unknown mod descriptions sound unprofessional.

Otherwise the revorians will arm ourselves with anti-noob shotguns.

I bid you good-nite.

Posted Image

#2 C0|V|R4DE

C0|V|R4DE

"Comrades, this is our time." ~ General Orlov

• Project Team
  • 1,092 posts
  • Projects:Shockwave/Rise of the Reds/WarGames Zero Hour

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Aye its time for us to raise arms and stop this n00bish invasion!

#3 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

To start this campaign, we should start changing ourselves to stop being a n00b basher. Instead, be superior, respect everyone and give a good example to others. Then these people will notice that, if they act nice, people will also respect them and treat them well.

Although I do not delete every n00bish post in the world, I recommend everyone reading the topic below:
http://www.ppmsite.c...opic.php?t=4133
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#4 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

definition of an noob is someone who refuses to learn because they believe they have superior knowledge or talent when in fact they have none or believe thiefing/racial/abusive language is acceptable.

The newbee is someone new to community who is willing to learn and has a brain.

The respect everyone is all good in theory, but some people shit on it to be frank and to be honest I won't tolerate it.
Posted Image

#5 Guest_Guest_Lee_*_*

Guest_Guest_Lee_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:11 PM

You could do it like Facepunch Studios - http://forums.facepu...om/showbans.php
They even have an autoban system for incorrect grammer and spelling.

#6 Lee

Lee

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 2,313 posts
  • Projects:Life
  • Division:Art & Design
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

^ Just so you know, thats not me ^

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:11 AM

LOL. Nah, but really, I do think those are all good things.

#8 Az3r^

Az3r^

Resident Fan Boy/Tester

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Nothing Atm .
  •  Oldbie Slacker since August 03

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:41 AM

hmm i agree with banshee with this mostly, admins staff and even old members should uphold a friendly environment and a respectful attitude towards newbies and people asking ( proper ) questions.

the other side i agree with AG, All Noobs should be stopped in there tracks to stop faithful revorians rising arms and going mental.....
Quotes :
Paradox @ Ali - "And what the fuck would you know? Ever been? Oh no, sorry, your map says 'HERE BE DRAGONS' anywhere outside of your rock"

#9 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:26 AM

Agreed.

#10 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

Yeah it's called T3A. We founded ourselves on helping newbies, and training noobs to be newbies.

#11 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:40 AM

Good for you lol. :p

#12 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:52 AM

I do try and be a bit less condescending, on the whole, but I do get extremely tetchy with guests.

But yes. Newbies who respond and act intelligently and are willing to learn and read around before blindly posting should be helped. N00bs, on the other hand, should be first attempted to get them to drop the attitude, or failing that, slaughtered mercilessly.

I don't care what anybody says, some people just refuse to take the hint and grow up. And while I consider myself to have a lot of patience, I don't suffer fools gladly.

I used to have it in my sig when I was GM, but I think This post should be required reading. Typos and slips of grammar, I can tolerate, but when I have to squeeze my eyes together and read four times to work out where the fullstop should be, I tend to become a tad pissed off. And I'm not the only one. Same goes for l33tsp33k and abbreviations and word-shortenings. OK in joke, but on the whole not really for normal conversation.

#13 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

definition of an noob is someone who refuses to learn because they believe they have superior knowledge or talent when in fact they have none

That pretty much sums you up AG :ninja:

j/k
Posted Image

#14 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

People should be warned if they can't speak properly. Yes, they may not speak english as their first language but that doesn't excuse any flurry of crap that they say. We shouldn't host mods where people seem unable to speak like a human being too. It's not that hard to say what you want with a simple full stop here and a capital letter there, in all seriousness.

It stems from guest posting really, most people who ask ridiculous things and are generally idiots are usually guests. But once again, I bring up a point that only a few (Ash, and some others) would actually care about.

The general feeling here is that people who are new, don't know much but can speak properly and ask questions in a thoughtful manner should be welcomed with open arms. But morons that can't speak properly and just spam crap all day about asking when mods are gonna be released should be chucked out, sharpish.

Edited by tornado2099, 11 April 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#15 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

People should be warned if they can't speak properly. Yes, they may not speak english as their first language but that doesn't excuse any flurry of crap that they say. We shouldn't host mods where people seem unable to speak like a human being too. It's not that hard to say what you want with a simple full stop here and a capital letter there, in all seriousness.

It stems from guest posting really, most people who ask ridiculous things and are generally idiots are usually guests. But once again, I bring up a point that only a few (Ash, and some others) would actually care about.

The general feeling here is that people who are new, don't know much but can speak properly and ask questions in a thoughtful manner should be welcomed with open arms. But morons that can't speak properly and just spam crap all day about asking when mods are gonna be released should be chucked out, sharpish.

Exactly my viewpoint, its an general feeling supported by a lot of people, its just that they choose to quietly support.

Sometimes we revorians need to take a stand for common old school decent values like correct english, good manners and sounding intelligent. There is also an different between sarcasm and plain insults which unfortuantly the not so intelligent people don't seem to understand.
Posted Image

#16 C0|V|R4DE

C0|V|R4DE

"Comrades, this is our time." ~ General Orlov

• Project Team
  • 1,092 posts
  • Projects:Shockwave/Rise of the Reds/WarGames Zero Hour

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

I have to agree with the definition of Newbie and N00b, but when a n00b gets out of control then that should be taken care of justly and with ease. We have to make them learn one way or another. I only respond to people(a n00b) who continually make the same posts over and over again, I wont name anyone but recently we've been getting a lot of these type of useless posts at our forum and others as far as I've seen, so we have to take some action, however I do beleive we can forgive them its not that their not people too, they just need to be shown the right way of things. :ninja:

The only best way to do this is by placing Forum rules thats all.

Edited by C0|V|R4DE, 11 April 2006 - 02:39 PM.

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

Exactly my viewpoint, its an general feeling supported by a lot of people, its just that they choose to quietly support.

Oh no, we're loud, proud and very vocal about it. It just seems like quietly supported because those who need to be told don't seem to listen :ninja:

Sometimes we revorians need to take a stand for common old school decent values like correct english, good manners and sounding intelligent. There is also an different between sarcasm and plain insults which unfortuantly the not so intelligent people don't seem to understand.

Quite.

I don't mind wrong grammar or spelling from foreigners, or even from some where English is the first language, so much as I mind an obvious and complete flouting of such rules of written grammar. If you can't, that's fine. If you blatantly won't, I get annoyed. An example of this is when Lurker first started...he's grown up a bit since then, I'm more than happy to admit, but reading his posts was like walking into a cube of letters and being asked to decipher what it was supposed to say, without any inkling as to where a sentence finished and another began :)

And yes, I too dislike the idea that even the tiniest disagreement must be taken as a fullbore flamewar. Yes, some individuals do (and have) taken it too far. But even disciplinarians such as myself can see a boundary between posts which were posted with intent to cause offence and posts which were intended to be taking the piss in a lighthearted manner.

#18 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:05 PM

4. Use grammar and be direct. Secret/Unknown mod descriptions sound unprofessional.

Ahum, You havent, as you said an question when its a. :p Ive told you before. :laugh:

Edited by OmegaBolt, 11 April 2006 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#19 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

Ahum, You havent, as you said an question when its a. :) Ive told you before. :p

that isn't the point :laugh:

:)
Posted Image

#20 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:44 AM

Oh no, we're loud, proud and very vocal about it. It just seems like quietly supported because those who need to be told don't seem to listen :laugh:

We listen and keep disagreeing with you, as guest posting is a useful thing.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users