#1 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

Karmacode is Lacuna Coil's latest offering to the world of metal. Unlike the usual style employed by the band, Karmacode has gone for a 'more guitar, less Christina Scabbia approach. I've read somewhere she's also decided to employ some sort of Muslim wailing cry, which appears in a couple of songs on the album and sounds pretty decent, IMO.

Fragile

Beginning with an example of the wailing, Fragile suffers from being a bit too busy with lyrics...two people singing two completely different things doesn't help it, nor does the constant guitar. It has a fairly nice rhythm, but the lyrics get a bit indecipherable, and it's certainly not the best on the album.

To The Edge

An odd start, taking a fairly usual Coil style but using a rather warpy guitar. It would almost remind me of a hoedown were it done in a banjo! ;) But the rhythm is again very good, and the lyrics sound much less busy than Fragile. Scabbia does sound much better here than in Fragile. Has a nice pace and the rhythm gets the foot tapping, unusual for a metal song.

Our Truth

A fairly emotive start, and a great kick-in intro by both the guitarist and Scabbia's wails. Her vocals are also good in this song. The chorus really is one of the highlights of the album. Whoever is on the guitar has been much heavier throughout the whole album.

Within Me

A respite from the guitar work, Within Me seems most akin to the old Coil style up to this point. Slightly mournful, Scabbia's vocals are most prominent feature here. The guitar is much less than in any other song so far on the album, and even the male's vocals are welcome. Quite a nice accompaniment for her lead. While To The Edge gets your foot tapping, Within Me gets your head (or Zippo) swaying from side to side with the rhythm. Her voice goes in time with the music, which really does supplement her here better than in a couple of other songs.

Devoted

The guitar's back, but a fairly standard tune, which actually seems a little bit like a mellowed-down Fragile, but in fact isn't. Once again, the male vocalist actually displays a bit of talent (you'll learn fast I'm not a fan of male vocalists on the whole, but this one here is good), and for once it's Scabbia doing the supporting on the verse. Devoted's chorus is another highlight. A bit more variety in the tune...though that can be said for a number of the songs. One of the main criticisms of the album is it does sound a bit samey; something that couldn't be levelled at much of Coil's past work.

You Create

A great first ten seconds followed by a nice beat kicking in. They could've made a proper song out of this, but instead kept Scabbia 'aah-ing'. A nice interlude, if nothing else. This really reminds you that it's Coil, to be honest, keeping it simple to remind you just who the singer is.

What I See

The 'aah' continues from You Create, but a heavy guitar's come out of nowhere. It's not all bad, though. Scabbia's vocals make a nice impact throughout. I'd like to hear an acoustic version of this song. The guitar takes a back in all the right places, but it still feels overpowering.

Fragments of Faith

A start which seems a hybrid of To The Edge and Fragile, but works. Then the guy starts singing, and it's all downhill from there, I'm afraid. Scabbia's chorus is the only redeeming feature, but it doesn't redeem this song. Worst on the album in my opinion, because of the guy. Not only that, but he's going off-tune because he's trying to sing over the guitar, when infact the guitar should be complementing the singing.

Closer

Now this feels like Coil as we know it from the start. Different use of the synth, but you feel the Coil in it. Some of it seems a bit industro-punk, but it's really refreshing. The guitar is MUCH better than just about any other song on the album, and the male backing is back to how it always used to be. The greatest fans of the old Coil style will probably have Closer as a favourite track of the album.

In Visible Light

And more Coil-as-we-know it. A mournful start by both music and lyrics. Slower-paced than Coil usually do, but certainly recognisable as Coil. Maybe the guitarist learned his lesson after Fragments, and Closer and IVL were performed after that.

The Game

Very strange use of the guitar, faster paced, but definitely, I'm convinced the guitarist's either been schooled or replaced. Scabbia's a bit off this time, though. Her 'aah's and held notes remind us who she is, and Coil fans will feel a bit reassured by the sounds, but they'll feel she's not at her best in terms of the singing. In a band such as Coil where the singer makes the song, it is to the detriment of the song that she doesn't shine as brightly as she otherwise would.

Without Fear

A lovely placid introductory twenty seconds builds nicely into the song. Calm and easy on the ears with no sign of heavy guitar allows Scabbia to sing rather mournfully and in perhaps one of the more emotive renditions on the album. Some good backing vocals also assist, and while the song itself may be sung mournfully, it is uplifting. The voice probably rather than the lyrics is what counts. The guitarist almost got the day off, with only a mellow backing sound to accompany the vocals. Very nice and listenable track.

Enjoy the Silence

A rendition of Depeche Mode's song, Enjoy the Silence is without a doubt one of the better on the album, if not the best. Scabbia does a great job with the mournful voice which does capture emotion, and even the male vocal's tolerable in the chorus. It catches the imagination and emotion, and feels well enough done that Lacuna Coil have made it their own. There have been a few renditions of the song, and one day I'll get around to comparing them all. Two minutes and twenty in, and you reach the best bit. No backing music, just the chorus lyrics. And it works. And from then on you feel fulfilled hearing the rest of the song. That section makes the rest of the song so much better.

To sum up, the album could really have done with a lot less heavy guitar, which overpower the vocals where in fact they should work to support them. While definitely not Coil's best (probably being down the lower end of preference), and many Coil fans won't have liked it, the second half of the songs make up for the first half, and they saved the best for last. I'd like to hear much more of how Coil used to be, as what they did, they did well. I feel that the first half should've been re-recorded after the guitarist learned to play without being overpowering, and Scabbia given more of a chance to sing to her strengths. While I've said her choruses through a lot of the album are good, and she does try her best, she really is just making the best of things.

Future releases ought to be more like past releases. Kudos to them for trying out a new style, but sticking to what one knows is what pays off in this album; hence the latter half were most impressive. :p

And sorry this post's probably a load of garbled crap for anyone who reads it, and I expect a number to disagree (not least Robin :p )

EDIT: edited threadtitle.

Edited by Paradox, 19 April 2006 - 06:27 PM.

#2 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Shame my buddy from school doesn't like this album even when he is a great LC fan. I enjoyed this album a lot despite the fact that I was discouraged by Holly to it. :p Enjoy the Silence is indeed nice cover work - at first it sounded wierd as I was used to the original DM version but hey. Still my favourites on this are Devoted, Within Me, Fragile and Our Truth.

Shhh, I must admit that I hum the beginning of Our Truth in school ;)

Edited by Speeder, 19 April 2006 - 07:38 PM.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#3 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  • Projects:Making a master plan to destroy the consumerist society.
  •  Revora's Local Forum Whore

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Treacherous Heathens! ;)

I so love the old Lacuna Coil albums.. over this Karma Crap... ~_~

Lurking moar since 2004 2003!

#4 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

I will agree that older Lacuna Coil stuff is better than the Karmacode album, but I disagree that it's all as bad as you claim. :p

#5 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:05 AM

BUMP!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't What I See the heaviest song of LC?

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#6 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

Probably. Though this album was a lot heavier than any other they've done. It seemed to be a bit more true 'metal' or machinised than their other stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users