#1 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

This is rather my opinion review on this album, as my English is not good enough to write decent review and I just know what I feel and like in Rammstein music - I am not an expert in music, eh?

Anyway, here we go - Rammstein appearing once again after so-called success of their new full-studio album "Reise Reise" which I mark as a a good album, but as we all know - there is very small chance for any album without any black sheep in it (Amerika, Moskau - no, no, no!). Rosenrot was supposed to be only an EP, but it has been decided to release about 7-8 songs recorded during Reise Reise session along with few whole new (or made from basics, like Benzin) tracks. The promotion has started with Benzin and it's pretty wierd videoclip with a fire truck destroying everything on it's way but who cares? We all do - the entrance for Rosenrot wasn't good from what I have seen, but the album itself turned out to be a nice success - not as big as "Reise Reise" or "Mutter" (which is sadly the album that attracted me least!) but still - Rammstein appeared in a different way than before - more melodic, less industrial and less electronic (compared to "Herzeleid" or "Sehnsucht" - it is something totally new in R+ music).

Benzin (3:47) - There you go, Rosenrot starts with Benzin just after you put it's CD in your player or when you play it at the PC.. Whatever, anyways - opening track, single and such - Benzin released alone as a promo of the upcoming album was welcomed by Rammstein fans warmly at first. It was nice and very typical Rammstein song with some exclusive tweaks and features, as well as rather fast and more rock-like guitars. Claimed to be harder than "Mein Teil" from Reise Reise, I enjoyed this track a lot and used to listen this repeatedly even hundred times a day till I got the whole album. Energic, with lyrics which you get quickly due to rhymes appearing in the song and with a chorus (don't know wheter this is correct word) with only one word but how persvasive - "Benzin!". I must say that it is one of coolest titles Rammstein ever came with in my opinion. ;) Unluckily, after getting whole Rosenrot album I got a feeling that this track just doesn't match the album itself and at first I have often skipped this track - I couldn't stand listening to this any longer. It bored me! Luckily, once upon a time it has returned to my playlist.

Mann gegen Mann (3:50) - Definitely, one of the best songs Rammstein ever made. Of course in my opinion, this is my review, isn't it? I am clearly not saying what mevitar thinks as he doesn't like this one for instance, while I love it. ^_^ Let's speak about gayness, should we? When I've first seen this title I thought that this song is going to be about the war but well - it isn't. Not controversial as older Rammstein songs but still - it's videoclips with band members naked, hiding their genitalias only with guitar definitely is - let's spicy the subject up, eh? The videoclip didn't make this song prettier, maybe worse, maybe didn't change it's appearrance at all. Entering with drums and keyboard introduction, the one is pretty unusual for Rammstein I think, felt wierd when heard it for the first time. Let's keep it going - there we go, guitars on the roll, the riff I just love and the riff I sometimes hate the song for, because the sample of MGM began straightly with the guitar part - I had a hope that whole song is going to be like that! Oh well, maybe it's better that it is not. When Till (vocalist) finally shuts up for a while, we can hear yet another energic play of guitars which for fans of R+ can sound similar to Rosenrot one or Stein Um Stein. Yet another new element of Rammstein play appears, which combined with the guitars gives seriously stunning effect. While the Benzin appears to be monotonic sometimes, MGM never does.

Rosenrot (3:54) - I was always wondering, why do the tracks which later appear as singles are listed first on the albums. Maybe Stirb Nicht is not one, but mostly you will find out that singles of Rammstein are songs from the first half of any album. Or am I wrong? The title song was supposed to make an appearrance on "Reise Reise" as first single, but it wasn't even included there! Shame, because it could replace Amerika or Moskau for instance and improve the quality of previous album. Rosenrot is perfect example of Rammstein's music - it's unusual one, telling about the damnation of love (at least I interpretate it in that way) and R+ has done it well. Light song with harder riffs breaking up between Till's lines, Rosenrot shows how the industrial ballad or so should look like, or should I say - should be recorded like. One of most interesting and attractive elements of this song is Till's basses in the chorus while he sings "Rosenrot, oh Rosenrot" - yet another uncommon thing, actually - a thing which has never appeared before in Rammstein's creation. They go perfectly with the guitars and the electronically-made wibes of the wind which helped me to create my own imagination of Rosenrot. You have such feeling of each song, don't you?

Now listen to Stein Um Stein, then to Rosenrot. And again. Noticed anything?

Spring (5:37, oh sorry, I have extended my version :)) - This is one of my favourites on the album. After Stein Um Stein and Nebel, it is my third emotional song I love to listen when I am in a meditating mode (:p). The first minute of the song is VERY calm - Till is introducing listeners to the story of a tragedy which is going to happen. Suddenly the guitars just "roar" the hard riff of this song which is going to follow in the wake of us. Till continues with his story, again acompanied by the calm, though now bit stronger beat in the background. When the hopeless walker staying on the bridge who this song is about lives through depressio crisis, the crowd gathered around him starts to shout - or does Till - "Spring!". This is definitely one of most influencing part of the song - the chorus made of one word, but in what way! When you are listening to this, you just feel full glory or something similar, at least for the first few times while listening to this. JUST SPRING! And then the crisis fades away, someone kicks the depressed man in his back and opens the door to heaven or hell for him, while the crowd is just watching. "Jump into the light" - "Attention everyone, attention! That man is jumping! This is just so kewl!!" Astonishing ballad, astonishing subject narrated in the astonishining way.

Wo Bist Du? (3:55) - This is the one of the most unusual songs Rammstein made. After Reise Reise, it is another song which introduces elements of Rammstein metamorphosis into the life - german industrial band trying to play some gothic-likeys. And I must say that they turned out pretty well with this! While I don't find Reise Reise dark enough (song about sailors, wtf?), Wo Bist Du? is just the one. While the lyrics can be interpretated in many ways (betrayal? death of beloved person?), even when you don't understand what the hell Till is singing, combined with the mysterious eletronical theme in the background and mid-guitars, Wo Bist Du? is just cute and pleasant to listen, even with Till as the one who is singing (oh, no, you got it in wrong way :p). Shame they did not make a single of it! Instead, they are going to make fourth single from..

Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (4:05) - While the first five tracks on the Rosenrot are something excellent, and listening continuosly to the album I am pulled to the music as hell - SNVM wakes me up from the industrial dream. Till sings with the support of Sharleen Shiperi (don't know how to spell it correctly, sorry) and the result is a pop song which doesn't Rammstein at all.. Indeed, the guitars are very nice but this song just doesn't fit here! And neither the english vocals do, right - Amerika was the exclusive, Stripped and some of English R+ covers too but no! Those covers were NOT released on any album! If this was released as a b-side single or something I would not mind but now, I am just waiting for SNVM single only to record up another version of Rosenrot album with the original and 'rammstein' version of this song feat. Bobolina (who acompanied Till in Engel and Nebel for example). I don't want this here!

Zerstören (5:28) - There you go, while I thought that SNVM is just the beginning of the end, and Rosenrot ends up with five good songs broken down with that pop balladey, Rammstein strikes back again and again proves that Rosenrot has special meaning - "it's sweet but also brutal". While this is discussable, Zerstören appears to be the hardest of songs on Rosenrot, even when the guitars are often not clear enough like in Mein Teil or Du Hast for example. Noneless, Zerstören is my number one on the album :). Energic as hell, lyrics as hell, everything as hell - wait, you have just been called to zerstören! Perfect position for someone who has bit too much of vigor and has nothing to do with all of it. Go, listen to Zerstören and do some freaking movements. And while you are tranced into chaos, suddenly the game stops - for the first time Rammstein bashes their instruments to maximum without any sense of play (or is there) and everything calms down.. Just to turn the radio on and listen the ending of the story about a man who wanted to destroy everything, followed with the gentle pulse of keyboard.

Hilf Mir (4:43) - Yet another emotional song, and luckily - not the last. This time Rammstein acts with the listeners in different way - they presume their guitars to the maximum in the chorus part and still keeps characteristic for ballads elements - quiet parts with Till telling you another story - this time about a boy who left alone at home by his parents found a matchbox. And so, burn baby, burn! As we all know it is not safe to play with fire and so the boy calls for help - the fire got him, and this IS expressed in the song - despair of being burnt and whiles after burning to death. I noticed many people find this song indistinct, but hell - I find it not! Indeed, something is not matching Rammstein here but the song is great!

Te Quiero Puta! (3:55) - HEY AMIGOS! Rammstein pumping up the spanish rhymes in! Even with Till singing in spanish! Aye! SI SI, we want more! :p Just joking, I really don't want Rammstein to make the rumours about spanish album true. I think this is song was made just for fun, it has some nice things in it, like.. trumpets and it's originality and uniqueness but still - it doesn't fit everything Rammstein did till now. While the guitars and trumpets don't seem to fit each other - Rammstein made them so! Till accompanied by spanish seniorita shows how to ramm in a hot language. Anyone wants the lyrics? This song can't be expressed, you just must hear it! It is not like any of Rammstein older ones.

Feuer und Wasser (5:17) - Girls, an erotic ballad here, please don't come too close. Okay, I was just joking. After TQP, listeners must realize finally that the Rosenrot album is coming to the end. Feuer und Wasser and the song afterby are excellent parts of the epilogue for such melodical (shh with Benzin and Zerstören!) album. Another ballad slowly heating up listeners for the first two minutes, perfectly introduces the dismatch between fire and water. While the song itself after guitar appearrance is not 'just-another-ramm-you-want-to-listen-to-and-scream', they seriously heat the song up after even more seriously ensleeping beginning. And who said that german doesn't fit erotic songs? I didn't - I enjoyed Feuer und Wasser very much and I often play it, especially when I am in specific feel/humour.

Ein Lied (3:43) - The most silent song Rammstein ever created with which you could've just put your baby (oh, you don't have one?) to sleep. Not Rammstein style in any way, but still it's just bingo for outro of such album Rosenrot is. A typical play of unplugged guitars and standard stuff Rammstein uses during the play i.e. drum and keyboard which plays some slightly wierd sounds which remind me of violin or something? Sorry, I don't know how is it called in your language, tut mir Leid. I must admit though, that I skip this track -but I don't mark it as a bad song! I just rarely feel like listening to it - maybe when I am exhausted of something or such.. Still, after all those tracks you have excellent thing to calm down with.

Suming up, Rosenrot is another step for Rammstein imo. Something totally new, and thank goodness that those unreleased tracks were ever released! That german industrial band would be farther away in the back on their evolution way from Herzeleid, through Sehnsucht, Mutter and Reise Reise till the future albums. If you like calmed industrial, or plugged guitar play, or german or anything - I would suggest this album, even to be the first one of Rammstein you ever hear. This should be a good start, though older albums could sound simple to you after listening to Rosenrot, which definitely is NOT.

Okay, enough of blabla, I want the next Rammstein album. RAMM BABY! :p*

* the next Rammstein album is supposed to be hard, aye!

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

(Amerika, Moskau - no, no, no!).

I like Moscow, the lyrics suck but the music is nice.

#3 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

As for me it is vice versa. :p

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#4 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:45 PM

From what I've heard of Rammstein, most of their lyrics don't really make sense (haven't heard every song of course, just some). I prefer a song with good lyrics, with a meaning behind it. If the music's good enough, I'll like the song even though the lyrics aren't that good (this excludes songs with little to no lyrics, as there is only music then, as well as funny songs, those you can use your own mind with to imagine and some other things).

#5 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

That's the point. Rammstein lyrics have deeper sense (take a look at Wo Bist Du translation, or Tier - tell me what is it about?). True, some of them don't have sense but oh well - you can find out over the net how many times their lyrics have been called more difficult version of poems, or whatever you call it.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#6 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

Maybe I've heard the wrong songs then. I've had German at secondary school for some years, so I think I'll be able to at least partly get what the song is about when I read the lyrics.

#7 Daeda

Daeda

Piñata

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:CNC3.net News & Freedom Studios admin
  •  This text is actually purple

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

Rammstein usually sings about shocking things. But it isnt so hard to understand because they often keep it simple. Great live Shows btw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users