What are AS levels? :ermm:

#2 user_unknown

user_unknown

Federation Supreme Commander

• Hosted
  • 404 posts
  • Projects:Event Horizon

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

First, you have to know about the english school system. You go to Infant school in Years 1 to 2, Junior school in Years 3 to 6, Secondary School in Years 7 to 11, and Sixth Form in Years 12 and 13. Some secondary schools have their own Sixth Form departments however.

Basically, the English system is that you take SATS exams in years 2, 6 and 9 (about age 6/7, 10/11 and 13/14) You then take GCSEs in year 11 (age 15/16) and then AS (Advanced Subsidiary) in Year 12 (16/17) and A2 (Advanced) in Year 13 (17/18)

Your marks for SATS are pointless, as they are just used by the government to determine how well the school is doing. Your marks for GCSE are important however, as they are what employers look at if you leave school at 16 (earliest legal age), and are also used to determine whether you can enter the 'Sixth Form' or not. A Level marks are used to determine university places, and your overall A-level mark is your AS plus your A2 mark.

See, not complicated at all... :ermm:

#3 user_unknown

user_unknown

• Hosted
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

Not complicated, yeah right. Here in the Netherlands it's years 1-8 primary school, 9 to 12-14 secondary school. At the end of primary is the first CITO-test (so they know what level of secondary school to send you to), and then there's Central Exams at the end of secondary school. I'm having those in a week.

I was being sarcastic about the complicated bit :ermm:

That CITO test sounds like the 11-Plus test here. That is an optional test taken at....11, and allows you to enter a grammar school if you do well enough. However, there also exists a 'catchment area' for each school. This basically means that if you live close to the grammar school you wish to enter, then you do not have to get as high a mark as someone living a long way away.

#4 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:52 PM

A2's seem like a waste of time, might as well do a plain A level.

I was being sarcastic about the complicated bit :ermm:

The UK is the most sarcastic place in the world.

#5 user_unknown

user_unknown

• Hosted
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:34 PM

Plus our school reaches the pinnacles of lameness by making everyone take the AS and A2 general studies in the same sodding year... Ive got about 15 exams in the next 2 months! 15!  <_<

Heh. I thought that was just my school did that :ermm: Is General Studies compulsory at your school too? It is at mine, but everyone gets around that by not turning up... sometimes including the teachers, as they think it's a waste of time too. This could have something to do with the teacher who is actually in charge of organising it at my school telling his class that it was a pointless subject and that the only reason the school did it was that the government gave the school money for every pupil doing it, even though you don't actually need any equipment or anyhting for General Studies <_<

#6 the high dude

the high dude
  • New Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

we good here no tests but the SAT and ACT for collages and some states have a test for arts for funding and no kid left behind
and i took the sat at 12 and goes to colladge

#7 Natus

Natus

i maid a telescope with my smarties toob

• Project Team
  • 2,005 posts
  • Projects:Ex mapper, GCII Fanatic and sound tech.
  •  "Go fudge yourself you smarmy overly-camp handsome barstard" - Neil Faz

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:38 PM

I got some AS levels. I aint even started revision yet... im bricking it completely.
Natus 3.4

Corrupt program now requires constant reboots and does not function at all in majority of instances. Designed with a web browser component to replace AOL, it has exceeded our expectations by being more crashy and unreliable and with worse tech support. We didn't think it was physically possible! A general product recall is advised; when it does function it seems to require background processes Girl 0.1Beta to stave off further crashes. Will someone PLEASE remove that code, and insert Backbone 1.9 in its place? That's assuming we even bother to continue this prog.

#8 technobreakit

technobreakit
  • New Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

Yeah General studies is compulsory and its the same here, noone turns up to 'em. You can hardly blame people though, the teachers just do whatever they want in, be it ancient european politics or the art of dance.

My first GS exam is tomorrow!!!11 schweet. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users