196 replies to this topic

#141 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

I think someone above mentioned that a good admin type person, is hardly noticed and stays in the background. I have had my brief moments at stepping out into the limelight, but I am also just as happy to watch, read, and talk with the people I choose to speak with.

Whether or not you personally want me to help run Revora is irrelevant at the end of the day, because I do. Perhaps you've been out of the loop for too long Comrade, but when active, I feel I contribute a hell of a lot behind the scenes and I can assure you, that were that not the case, I wouldn't be in this position.
Dan

#142 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert: ReGeneration

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:58 PM

I think someone above mentioned that a good admin type person, is hardly noticed and stays in the background. I have had my brief moments at stepping out into the limelight, but I am also just as happy to watch, read, and talk with the people I choose to speak with.

Making such a bitter announcement on the Front Page is hardly what I would call staying in the background. And it's in fact this topic that ruined whatever good reputation you had.

Whether or not you personally want me to help run Revora is irrelevant at the end of the day, because I do. Perhaps you've been out of the loop for too long Comrade, but when active, I feel I contribute a hell of a lot behind the scenes and I can assure you, that were that not the case, I wouldn't be in this position.

Dan, I don't know what you contribute, but it's either not enough or completely wrong. Because the whole time you've been here, the place has gone downhill.
You cannot compare pissing to thinking
- SoulReaver

#143 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

Well, considering I joined the Guild I believe within a month of it even being kicked around as an idea, I fail to see how I could ruin Revora when I was an admin at the Guild, and at the very least partially responsible for that place starting to really come together back in the day.
Dan

#144 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

Well, considering I joined the Guild I believe within a month of it even being kicked around as an idea, I fail to see how I could ruin Revora when I was an admin at the Guild, and at the very least partially responsible for that place starting to really come together back in the day.

I can't remember you doing any more than sending people tons of email about the writing competition. My impression was that Des08or held the site together, and fun. And that made him a good admin, even if he may not have done as much behind screens as you might have done.

Fancy argument or not, you are a Network Leader and the Network is being led badly. No attempt to change this has been undertaken, and therefore you Leadership is flawed.
- SoulReaver

#145 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:11 PM

Why is the network being run badly?

How would you know if any changes were in the pipeline, when you have no access to any of the forums in which discussion takes place regarding ways of improving the network?

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that this place still exists, and the fact that you and many other members still choose to come here and post, regardless of the content proves that this community is a success.

I feel we should ALL be proud of what we have achieved at Revora. Whilst there is a lot of negativity floating around, particularly at the moment, I think it is misplaced by people who perhaps are just negative in their nature. I am not sure.

What I am sure of, is that we have continued to release projects, we continue to gain new members, and we continue to spend time in a community that we should all spend a bit more time appreciating and a bit less time complaining about.

You might even find you enjoy your stay more.
Dan

#146 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:15 PM

Wat's the point of this Topic anyway?

Edited by Forgotten_Soul, 03 May 2006 - 11:58 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#147 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

I continue to feel that having T3A at Revora is causing at least a percentage of problems here. I only started alittle silly site and wanted to post some tutorials like Gendev. My goal was not to become the object of hatred and ridicule.

I never knew it was gonna turn people against my project. I never knew so many people simply just hated T3A outside of our forum. I even removed myself from it to hope it helps. Seems nothing I do can remove the animosity you all have for T3A.

If it will help I can move T3A to another host and step down as NL. I'm not here to hurt Revora only help it. I'm not here to create an empire or try to tell people what to do. I thought we were all here becuase of our interest in video games and computers.

I fully support any project Tom and his friends are building. Hope I can come post there as well when it's ready. But the knive weilding I see is disgraceful. I love you all, even the ones I don't see eye to eye with. The diversity is what makes this place wholesome.

But down right civil war only results in a splitting of Revora and not a break off growth of Revora. T3A should really be on it's own network. But I can't be a part of both. Not enough time. And T3A is opening the door for coding and modeling for cnc3.

The NL aren't going to change somthing based on intimidation and bully tactics. So once agiain, what is your objective in these statements? And where do you positively want this to go.

NL, can't give the admins the majority rule over Revora. Who in there right mind would spend money and man hours to keep a machine moving that can/will be changed without our say. No one would. Admins need to work with NL's or not be admins.

To assume the admin or staff post means you work with what you have, suggest great. Attempt to assume control or bully no.

Out right flaming at this point is not gonna go anything. This isn't a rebelion where rebels fight the monarchy. This is a forum, people need to remember that. You are a user not a citizen. It is your privilage to come here, not your right.

What you do have...the the right to not come here.

"There is only one person who can fire everyone in the company from the CEO on down, that is the consumer by taking thier business elsewhere" ~ Founder of Walmart

If you don't like it, than take your business elseware and let us deal with that reality.

#148 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:28 PM

Isn't the fact that this network still stands associated with Mastermind providing a server with unlimited bandwidth and virtually unlimited hosting space? If we were to suddenly land in paid hosting, the fees would eat everything alive, and afaik being realistic (maybe slightly pessimist even) on the matter there wont be a sponsor - not in the current state of this network. We'd need to get our shit together first and maybe start working on one thing. So far petrolution was launched, that's good.

So let's get another thing done, in the meantime why not actually listen to matter that are of concern to everyone? It doesn't matter whether this network always had guest posting enabled, a network this big makes guest posting a problem. And the argument that the network always had guest posting on is practically useless nad null.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#149 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

How would you know if any changes were in the pipeline, when you have no access to any of the forums in which discussion takes place regarding ways of improving the network?

I have seen no improvement for the last half year. Where is the improvement? Rather than telling me that I don't know, tell me what I don't know.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that this place still exists, and the fact that you and many other members still choose to come here and post, regardless of the content proves that this community is a success.

About the rest I don't know, but I hardly post here anymore.

I feel we should ALL be proud of what we have achieved at Revora. Whilst there is a lot of negativity floating around, particularly at the moment, I think it is misplaced by people who perhaps are just negative in their nature. I am not sure.

It has been for ages. You can chose to ignore it as negative nature, and I wouldn't imagine otherwise from someone who doesn't even contribute in the forums. But it's not the place it used to be. Forge should say enough.

What I am sure of, is that we have continued to release projects, we continue to gain new members, and we continue to spend time in a community that we should all spend a bit more time appreciating and a bit less time complaining about.

Yes, that's what it is about, power. More projects, more members. Less fun, but who cares, more power!

You might even find you enjoy your stay more.

Were this the only to forum that I visited, you might have a point. But I visit 6 other forums besides this one, and used to visit three others, and this one is led worst, by far. Even if my regards for FS aren't that high either.

Here's an analogy:
Revora is a posh, expensive restaurant, with michelin stars and what-not.
Revolution was the pub around the corner.
If you would go to the pub around the corner, where you would meet your friends, and where the owner would come and sit with you when he was not serving the few customers that he had. If you'd ask 'hey, what about that new brand of beer?', the owner would've said 'maybe I should try selling that here sometimes'.
Revora, the posh restaurant, is different. Were you to ask 'hey, what about that new brand of beer?', the waiter would respond 'Zee chef knows vat hee ies doing!'. That same chef goes to the pub around his corner everynight. Yes, MM, you're the chef.
The utmost irony is that in this case, the cheap beer from the pub was at least as good as the restaurant chique wines on a hugeass winechart.
- SoulReaver

#150 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:34 PM

I continue to feel that having T3A at Revora is causing at least a percentage of problems here. I only started alittle silly site and wanted to post some tutorials like Gendev. My goal was not to become the object of hatred and ridicule.

I never knew it was gonna turn people against my project. I never knew so many people simply just hated T3A outside of our forum. I even removed myself from it to hope it helps. Seems nothing I do can remove the animosity you all have for T3A.

Did anyone say "hate"? You're just too isolated, it's a concern in this network which by definition should promote unity.

You're percieving my thoughts wrong. I don't hate T3A, i'd just like to see the lot of you actually start behaving like part of this community.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#151 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts
  •  Drifting Gun-Toting Liberal, Forum Lurker

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:39 PM

How come I never see any T3A people here but you, Hostile? Some of you guys should come out of your shells, and join in the Open Topic, at least.

OLD SIG
When history witnesses a great change Razgriz reveals itself,
first as a dark demon. As a demon it uses it power to rain death upon the land,
and then it dies. However after a period of slumber Razgriz returns
As the demon sleeps, man turns on man.
Its own blood, and madness soon cover the earth.
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz.
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light.
Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
The demon soars through the dark skies
Fear and Death trail its shadow beneath
Until Men united wield a hallowed sabre
In Final Reckoning, the beast is slain.
Razgriz intrerpretation

Posted Image <-This stays up there for you, buddy!

#152 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:56 PM

Milbot, ched, Hostile and some others post here and on other community forums. You should look more carefully.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#153 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts
  •  Drifting Gun-Toting Liberal, Forum Lurker

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:04 AM

I've only seen ched post once in my tenure here, and yes, milbot posts sometimes (in tenure, approximately 25), but if you gave some more names, then I might realize the error in my ways.

OLD SIG
When history witnesses a great change Razgriz reveals itself,
first as a dark demon. As a demon it uses it power to rain death upon the land,
and then it dies. However after a period of slumber Razgriz returns
As the demon sleeps, man turns on man.
Its own blood, and madness soon cover the earth.
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz.
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light.
Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
The demon soars through the dark skies
Fear and Death trail its shadow beneath
Until Men united wield a hallowed sabre
In Final Reckoning, the beast is slain.
Razgriz intrerpretation

Posted Image <-This stays up there for you, buddy!

#154 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:24 AM

ched post once, you need to look deeper, he posts quite abit.

#155 Guest_Comrade CodeCat_*

Guest_Comrade CodeCat_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:26 AM

Contrary to what some of you might think, I don't seek to destroy or disrupt Revora. I like this place immensely, and it hurts me all the more to see it go down like this. I wouldn't be so vicious in my ways sometimes if it wasn't something I truly believed in and cared for. However it is not easy trying to do any good when my pleas for improvement are met with stubborn resistance. ComradeJ summed it up incredibly well in his post:

Revora is a posh, expensive restaurant, with michelin stars and what-not.
Revolution was the pub around the corner.
If you would go to the pub around the corner, where you would meet your friends, and where the owner would come and sit with you when he was not serving the few customers that he had. If you'd ask 'hey, what about that new brand of beer?', the owner would've said 'maybe I should try selling that here sometimes'.
Revora, the posh restaurant, is different. Were you to ask 'hey, what about that new brand of beer?', the waiter would respond 'Zee chef knows vat hee ies doing!'. That same chef goes to the pub around his corner everynight. Yes, MM, you're the chef.
The utmost irony is that in this case, the cheap beer from the pub was at least as good as the restaurant chique wines on a hugeass winechart.

So why don't we all work together, listen to what each of us has to say, improve what can be improved, make this place better, so we could all proudly say:
Hey, Revora might not look the fanciest, but it's the best damn community forum I've ever seen and I'm proud to be a part of it!

#156 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:21 AM

I have seen no improvement for the last half year. Where is the improvement? Rather than telling me that I don't know, tell me what I don't know.

- You are blind. You must be blind! And you blindly insult everything and everyone here! I'm getting tired of people like you! Look at your side and check the crap you are talking in this whole topic! If you ever visited the Revora FrontPage News, you would see a lot of improvements and changes that happened in this network for half an year, including a new network site (Petrolution), new good hostees like Art of Ascension and other cool projects. Of course, we have a lot of things we can't show yet because they are not finished.

You also complain about projects being n00bish and lack inovation while you don't know the vast majority of them. You insult what you don't know! We host a lot of projects not to get power, but to create and motivate a creative and fun modding community! Seeking for power in the internet is ridiculous and we really don't need that. If you want power, create one of these forumer forums, get your uber admin status and make mockery of the visitors! There you have the whole power!

You and some people also complain that The 3rd Age is isolated from the rest of the network, but, is it really true? People say that no one from there visits the community forums. Do they have any alert, message or any kind of text saying "Do not visit Revora Community forums, instead, visit our spam forums!" ? NO! There are visitors from The 3rd Age who visit this place, but you don't know who they are because you do not visit The 3rd Age forums. And also, one thing must be clear: we do not obligate visitors from gaming forums to visit community forums. It's up to them, although we would appreciate their participation here.

Next blind point Revora is getting a fully professional approach and giving a shit to its community! This is not true either. We are actually trying to bring more people here by making our sites more clear, more active and more attractive. Of course this demands a less amateur approach, however, we are fans making sites and hosting fans. This never changed! This unpredictable future of Icetex might push us a bit more to the advertisement side to fund a dedicated server, and therefore, we need a more professional approach to attract sponsors. If this annoys you, I'm trully sorry, but we need to survive. Anyway, we still have a big group of friends here in our community forums and this group is always growing and envolving.

As for guest posting, I know it's a polemic issue. We want guest posting to bring more people to join this community, however, it's a bit harder to stop problematic people. However, if the person wants to annoy a forum, this person won't necessarily be a guest and won't avoid registering and creating multiples accounts. So, blaming guest posting is ridiculous, since we also had many registered members who were problematic (or still are). Instead of crushing this kind of people, we prefer to convert them into better people. It worked with many people, but failed with others. I personally prefer a matured community than a n00b bashing one. It's more attractive and more friendly.

And we are not Hitlers or evil dictators, etc. We work with a division system where admins take care of their section and leaders oversee the whole. We are open for suggestions on any area, although the final decision is done by the person (or group of people) responsible for that area. It's easy to get a perfect democratic system on a small place. On Revora, it's impossible. Revora is extremely big! One person can't take care of the whole network and we can't make a group of people focus in the whole network. It's inneficient and bureaucratic. The main example of it was the senate. Senators had to bring ammendements that would affect the whole network. Clearly the network sites were forgotten and most of the efforts were placed in the community area, and to be honest, most of the fights were made over ridiculous issues, specially you, who made a big noise, conspired against everyone there... for what? to remove a stupid "Rank:" text before the custom title. Mate, give me a break! Do you remember what senators used to do all the time? "Ban Prime! Ban Koma!!". Then, we suddenly get acused of ruining all ammendements from senators (which is not true, since many were aproven although we didn't had workforce to implement all of them). You were senator twice and you did nearly nothing. Now, don't go complaining that we vetoed most of your suggestions because this wasn't true either! One year has passed since you (ComradeJ) were senator, but this doesn't mean that you simply have to forget everything. Look, our priorities are not these minor issues. We want to expand Revora and make of it a better hosting place, improve our network sites, have a more creative place and a better community, instead of conspiring to ban people or removing ridiculous texts before custom ranks. Note that other senators who were more productive, like Blaat, were recognized for their efforts and received higher positions. Today Blaat is an admin.

Also, another myth is about Network Leaders like me, Dancam, Hostile and Mastermind being arrogant bastards who thinks that they are Gods or so high that don't listen to your pray.... For Gods Sake! We are humans like anyone else here!. And like most of people here, we want the best for this place and we are working our asses off to make it better. As humans, we are entitled to commit mistakes. Now, do you think that, after reading all these flames at us, we'll reply like "Hey, thanks you for your kind insult. We'll obey to your orders because you own the truth and we suck!" ??? Again, we are humans and we are completely entitled to get pissed off at people who constantly attack us with blind acusations and/or repetitive points of desconstructive criticism. We welcome constructive criticism with open arms, but the way you and some others are criticizing us, demands a cup of shut the fuck up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, before complaining about a doom and apocalyptica Revora, please research at the things you think that are wrong in the network, provide us solutions for it and be kind when writting, instead of bashing us to death!

No one gets motivated to work on a community that just bashes them all the time, even with all their efforts.

And understand: we are humans like anyone else here. We are not perfect machines or monsters!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you fail to understand the terms above:

Posted Image
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#157 Cobra

Cobra

The Renegade

• Banned
  • 1,048 posts
  • Projects:Quite a Few
  •  Resident Kiwi

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:45 AM

couldnt agree more, just drop it. If things go bad the nl's will sort it out, eventually :p but hey it does happen eventually. so yea just shut up and drop it.

I just read this topic and am discusted....

i mean seriously, if someone wants to start there own site then go away and do it, but there is no need to make comments like "your welcome to come and be a member when revora has colapsed" i mean what kind of a thing to say is that, dont dis the site u leave to create your own site. And comments about mm, that is not on ok, mm is the reason we are here to day and the reason that revora has been succesful.

However immoman does have one point. He didnt really say this but its kinda expanding on what he did say.

people are indecisive and apathic about rule enforcement, and the whole place is just a mess where nothing can be found. I tried to make a difference every time, and this is the reward I get from no less than a Network Leader. Some appreciation that is.

I think alot of the admins seem to scared to use their powers. Same for the nl's. People seem afraid to do what needs to be done to make stuff happen. Im not dissing anyone or putting anyone down or anything, im just saying that people in positions of power should be faster to act on certain issues, thats all.

a good example is to close/delete this topic, that is one thing that never seems to happen much. Threads like this dont need to be there or at least under a hidden forum like the projects and hostees,

Just a few thoughts

Doc

Edited by The Doctor, 04 May 2006 - 06:59 AM.

Dmain | I-Cold | earthWhois
Dmain Now offers .mobi extensions....why? Because we can :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Update: EAW Galaxy is almost ready for launch. We're currently in need of forum staff and content writers for the main site. Please PM or Email me ASAP.

BFME Fans if you think you have what it takes, bfmeworld.com would love to be built. I have neither the time, nor the motivation any longer...

#158 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

- You are blind. You must be blind! And you blindly insult everything and everyone here! I'm getting tired of people like you! Look at your side and check the crap you are talking in this whole topic! If you ever visited the Revora FrontPage News, you would see a lot of improvements and changes that happened in this network for half an year, including a new network site (Petrolution), new good hostees like Art of Ascension and other cool projects. Of course, we have a lot of things we can't show yet because they are not finished.

If growing is your idea of improving, than I guess you are entirely right. So, it is growing, but I'm not having nearly as much fun here as I used to, and apparently a lot of other people are displeased about the way things are going too. Nobody ever said that Revora didn't haul in enough new projects. Either way, if the new stuff works out as well as the great HL2 project, it's hardly something to boast about. But we'll see.

You also complain about projects being n00bish and lack inovation while you don't know the vast majority of them. You insult what you don't know! We host a lot of projects not to get power, but to create and motivate a creative and fun modding community! Seeking for power in the internet is ridiculous and we really don't need that. If you want power, create one of these forumer forums, get your uber admin status and make mockery of the visitors! There you have the whole power!

If a project doesn't even catch my attention, how good can it be? I don't know where your statement about me not knowing the vast majority of them comes from. 'Tis true that I don't know what the HL-related projects are about, but they don't seem to bring much anyway. And have no contact with the rest of the forum, which was another point.

You and some people also complain that The 3rd Age is isolated from the rest of the network, but, is it really true? People say that no one from there visits the community forums. Do they have any alert, message or any kind of text saying "Do not visit Revora Community forums, instead, visit our spam forums!" ? NO! There are visitors from The 3rd Age who visit this place, but you don't know who they are because you do not visit The 3rd Age forums. And also, one thing must be clear: we do not obligate visitors from gaming forums to visit community forums. It's up to them, although we would appreciate their participation here.

But, if Revora doesn't contribute to T3A, and T3A doesn't contribute to Revora, why keep them both on the same forums? Wouldn't it be much easier for Hostile if he had direct control over his forums, wouldn't it be much easier for the T3A visitors to have a Network Bar solely dedicated to their interests, rather than Revora's other clutter?

Next blind point Revora is getting a fully professional approach and giving a shit to its community! This is not true either. We are actually trying to bring more people here by making our sites more clear, more active and more attractive. Of course this demands a less amateur approach, however, we are fans making sites and hosting fans. This never changed! This unpredictable future of Icetex might push us a bit more to the advertisement side to fund a dedicated server, and therefore, we need a more professional approach to attract sponsors. If this annoys you, I'm trully sorry, but we need to survive. Anyway, we still have a big group of friends here in our community forums and this group is always growing and envolving.

I'm sure you're doing what you think is in the best interest of your community, but your approach isn't always the right one. While you claim that you want the sites more active and attractive, the ReGen front page doesn't work, and nobody has mentioned that, as far as I know. Granted, Immo should've updated them himself, but the Network is also responsible for the content of the sites.
Furthermore, I see no reason why blending in with the people would hurt funding. Would the Google ads bring in less money if you visited the Spam Factory? The image I get of the NLs is that they're just skulking about in their private forums.

As for guest posting, I know it's a polemic issue. We want guest posting to bring more people to join this community, however, it's a bit harder to stop problematic people. However, if the person wants to annoy a forum, this person won't necessarily be a guest and won't avoid registering and creating multiples accounts. So, blaming guest posting is ridiculous, since we also had many registered members who were problematic (or still are). Instead of crushing this kind of people, we prefer to convert them into better people. It worked with many people, but failed with others. I personally prefer a matured community than a n00b bashing one. It's more attractive and more friendly.

The majority of the people apparently prefers no guest posting. What you may think on the subject is, by now, obvious, but it's after all this time hardly a sign of goodwill towards the members, who have been eager in their crusade against guest posting. So far, only the NLs and a few Admins agree to guest posting, but you'd rather insist on keeping things your way, even if that does mean we don't get along. I find the constant denial of that which the majority has been asking for for so long, hardly attractive and friendly, but it seems you prefer rules over getting along.

And we are not Hitlers or evil dictators, etc. We work with a division system where admins take care of their section and leaders oversee the whole. We are open for suggestions on any area, although the final decision is done by the person (or group of people) responsible for that area. It's easy to get a perfect democratic system on a small place. On Revora, it's impossible. Revora is extremely big! One person can't take care of the whole network and we can't make a group of people focus in the whole network. It's inneficient and bureaucratic. The main example of it was the senate. Senators had to bring ammendements that would affect the whole network. Clearly the network sites were forgotten and most of the efforts were placed in the community area, and to be honest, most of the fights were made over ridiculous issues, specially you, who made a big noise, conspired against everyone there... for what? to remove a stupid "Rank:" text before the custom title. Mate, give me a break! Do you remember what senators used to do all the time? "Ban Prime! Ban Koma!!". Then, we suddenly get acused of ruining all ammendements from senators (which is not true, since many were aproven although we didn't had workforce to implement all of them). You were senator twice and you did nearly nothing. Now, don't go complaining that we vetoed most of your suggestions because this wasn't true either! One year has passed since you (ComradeJ) were senator, but this doesn't mean that you simply have to forget everything. Look, our priorities are not these minor issues. We want to expand Revora and make of it a better hosting place, improve our network sites, have a more creative place and a better community, instead of conspiring to ban people or removing ridiculous texts before custom ranks. Note that other senators who were more productive, like Blaat, were recognized for their efforts and received higher positions. Today Blaat is an admin.

I'll fully agree with you that the Senate was a disaster - albeit an interesting one. Though, rather than a real senate, with debates, the 'battles' were most often between me, the other CJ, and you. If a senate has no power, it will ultimately have no success. Which it showed. Though a democracy probably won't work on a forum, I'll grant you that much. The issues were, indeed, lousy, but only because we were under a constant threat of "come up with suggestions, or we'll remove the Senate". As a result, the suggestions got ever more stupid, but only to show that we weren't just being unactive, lazy bastards. And you must admit, the other CJ and I took plenty of time posting, argumenting, defending and even bitching against you, even if the ideas weren't all that great. Simply said: when you have to come up with an x number of ideas per month to show your activity, yet you can't influence such a thing as guest posting, than this kind of stuff, like the text, comes up.
Your priorities may not have been the minor issues, but our only power lay in the minor issues. We couldn't do shit. Ask the other CJ, he's the better one at ranting about that. That said, we thought that disabling guest posting would make the community better, and I believe I suggested something along the lines of a stricter hosting policy, in order to ensure creativity, but getting bigger is all Revora seems to care about.
As far as I know, Blaat was appointed a Staff position to moderate the writing forums, an opportunistic job that even a monkey could do. There was no need for a special Staff person for that, and there certainly isn't one now. One thing I did refuse to do was creative a stupid position to keep myself into the Staff. I could easily have asked to moderate some forums, but didn't, because I didn't think it was necessary. More admins is not (always) a good thing.

Also, another myth is about Network Leaders like me, Dancam, Hostile and Mastermind being arrogant bastards who thinks that they are Gods or so high that don't listen to your pray.... For Gods Sake! We are humans like anyone else here!. And like most of people here, we want the best for this place and we are working our asses off to make it better. As humans, we are entitled to commit mistakes. Now, do you think that, after reading all these flames at us, we'll reply like "Hey, thanks you for your kind insult. We'll obey to your orders because you own the truth and we suck!" ??? Again, we are humans and we are completely entitled to get pissed off at people who constantly attack us with blind acusations and/or repetitive points of desconstructive criticism. We welcome constructive criticism with open arms, but the way you and some others are criticizing us, demands a cup of shut the fuck up.

I have plead my points in the Senate, and they did not work. What is there left to do? After the Great Inflation (when my 2 cents became worthless), the Network has been in a social decline. I made these points during the Senatorial period, and I do so again. Just a little louder, since saying it normally didn't seem to work the first time around.
Now, I understand that you're all human beings and that you make mistakes. And a mistake is all right, but this is turning into a crash-course. I am not aware of what happened inside Staff forums, but the post that started this topic looked, to me, inflammatory, arrogant and immature. Therefore, it's only the right of the other people to counter-attack. And I, oh, I just restate what I did in the senatorial period, with adjustments.

Now, as for suggestions. Firstly, I'd at least suggest to kick off mods that show no update. They're cluttering the forums, and overall give the place a hopeless atmosphere. I'd also say to be more strict in accepting them in the first place, but you'll not listen to that anyway.
Furthermore, why not a split? I'm not aware of what's going on, but why can't Forge take (parts of) CnCGuild with it? Why should all these things be connected, why should Revora be big, if it goes at the cost of fun?
- SoulReaver

#159 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

I actually daren't make my points mostly because I'll get flamed to death by Banshee while I'm at college, however ComradeJ is right about the fun aspect. Look at my contributions to the forum. Since I jacked my staff position in due to lack of a blind bit of attention being paid (or, if it was, lack of action upon even the points that were agreed), all I've ever done has been to spam. Why? Because the only reason I come here now is for the other members. If all those members were to up and go to C-Gen, you probably wouldn't see me here anymore, as I'd go there.

Revora isn't as people-oriented as it likes to think it is. It's not as community-oriented as it likes to think it is. If it did, it would give much more freedom of choice and of influence and heed to those people, and to that community. Yes, even if, at the end of it all, they happen to be wrong.

Banshee, you know what your problem is? You don't trust any of us. You never trusted me with even the lock button I had as a GM, whereas you'll notice that it was actually on a very rare occasion I would use it. You therefore insisted that moderators had to ask for your permission to do their job. If you want to run Revora as a business (and you NLs do), run it like one. If you want to run it as a kindergarten (and you seem to in some respects), run it like one. You can't have both. Notice that people are growing up. Most of them who might've believed in D's ways once upon a time no longer do. D's immaturity still has its hold in Revora's ideals, and there are areas where that is to its advantage, but there are others where it is to Revora's detriment.

I suggest a SERIOUS rethink of not only Revora's management and infrastructure, but also of its objectives, goals and ideals. A jack of all trades is a master of none, and frankly, Revora's jacking up on getting fat, not on providing the best service. It's like a bank atm. And everyone hates banks. They're full of bankers with a W.

#160 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

Isn't the fact that this network still stands associated with Mastermind providing a server with unlimited bandwidth and virtually unlimited hosting space? If we were to suddenly land in paid hosting, the fees would eat everything alive, and afaik being realistic (maybe slightly pessimist even) on the matter there wont be a sponsor - not in the current state of this network.

This is exactly why i was moving away.

Problems with this network are not guest posting, i wish people would just STFU and stop using it as a scapegoat because they have nothing better to do. The problem is peoples inability to focus and get anything done, expecting the higher leadership to take responsibility for that and tell them what to do, ignoring the fact that when we do tell people what to do things still do not get done. What are people expecting?

"your welcome to come and be a member when revora has colapsed"

LOL thats just ali man, no one should ever take ali seriously 100%, most people don't. He just gets carried away in ideas and believing that it changes the position of something.

The problem with revora is not down to these small issues, its down to the belief we have to get something done and in doing so we forget what we already have therefore we ignore it. If the so called admins for CNC actually did their job they might have removed all the inactive projects by now. Speeder did it yet everyone in the higher leadership attacked him for no reason what so ever. He was the best admin we had by far, no offense to anyone else, because he got shit done. No one seemed to recognise that, only me. Stop thinking about issues such as "guest posting" or "politics" its all down to "laziness" and "immaturity" and then most importantly "ignorance." We are ignoring what we have because we are focusing on a new image and forgetting the old. Detail predicted all this would happen before he resigned and amazingly its come true. I wonder what he knew that we don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users