#1 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

Why are there so many unoriginal mods around, especially here.

Every mod I seem to come across, mostly in The 3rd Age, is to do with adding elves to BFME or adding extra heroes or something rubbish like that... where's the originality, the vision? What's more, everyone seems to lap it up, it's crazy. Everyone around doesn't seem to want to do anything creative or simply good, they are more focused on adding some random character in and posting reams of code expecting the 'elite' people in the forum who are just as uninventive to post about why it doesn't work.

And also, why do so many mods have rubbish artwork, but think it's really amazing? People are so quick to praise a rubbish infantry model or rubbish website but when someone does something decent, no one could care less. Once again, it's crazy.

Someone please explain this pure stupidness. :lol:

#2 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

1) I disagree. I think there's a lot of good mods around, be it on T3A, the Guild or another network hub here.

2) Make your own mod if you're so unsatisfied :lol:

(thread moved into the right subforum)

#3 ZeroSamuraiX

ZeroSamuraiX

ZSX

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • Projects:Her
  •  The last spam fighter

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

yo dont knock other people's mods
thats not kewl!
yea what blaat said dont like other people's mods make your own
that is probably the reason why there are many mods-because they want to use their ideas...
No heat no happiness
Posted Image

#4 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

2) Make your own mod if you're so unsatisfied

I am.

yo dont knock other people's mods
thats not kewl!

I'm not knocking people's mods, I'm just stating my opinions on a general basis.

#5 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

If you really think "a lot of mods around" suck, then feel free to tell them and state why you think so and give tips for improvement. That's more helping them than you saying they suck. Last but not least, art is an opinion.

#6 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

What? I never said a lot of mods around suck, I said I thought they were unoriginal, don't have good artwork but people still think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Jesus, what has the world come to, I can't even post my opinions without getting attacked and suggesting I should be nice and 'give advice'.

#7 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

You stated some negative opinions there, surely your opinion on them isn't that they rock, is it? Sure you can state your opinion, I'm just saying that if you want to see more in your eyes better mods, then do suggest what you think is a 'better', more original mod or how they can improve.

#8 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:04 PM

To be honest, it could be argued that Only War isn't really particularly original...it's not your idea.

But I do know what you mean. There's a lot less variation than there could be...there are engines here that make almost anything possible, yet everyone makes mods depicting stuff they already know.

And Blaat, please do lay off him. He's free to express an opinion, is he not? And it's not particularly negative. He never said the mods were bad...just that they were samey. Lots of RA2 mods fall into the same trap. Besides, pragmatics dictate what he thinks could be improved...he'd like to see more originality. There's no need to cut him to pieces...:lol:

Edited by Paradox, 06 May 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#9 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:06 PM

I visit about half of the RA2 mods here and that's not because I don't like them. But we're all entitled to our own opinion.

EDIT I wasn't cutting him to pieces. If you call that cutting to pieces, you should meet me when I'm really angry :lol:.

#10 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

More originality speaks for itself. Less adding extra units into generals, more completely changing the game and introducing something new: some new way to play, some new way to fight, some new way to look upon the game, changing the game so it doesn't feel like the game it used to be. And no adding new units in without changing anything else because its so boring.

EDIT: Didn't see Ash's post before I wrote this :lol:. While the principle of Only War isn't original, it's something different to the existing game and it feels and looks totally different to generals, which I can't say for other mods. If you know what I mean.

Edited by tornado2099, 06 May 2006 - 02:11 PM.

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

Yeah I get your point, but originality of concept is also originality :lol:

What you're basically saying is 'more TCs!' :p

#12 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

Well yeah, kinda. People say making a TC is a whole ton of work but you don't have to make a massive TC. it's just tiring seeing a post in T3A about someone making a new mod that will add so and so heroes into it, if you know what I mean. There is so much more that could be done.

#13 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

Who would have thought, me agreeing with tornado. I can understand the point of people being unoriginal, but I don't always think modding is necessarily about doing something new, unseen, and never heard of. I think, at the end of the day, you have to give praise to anyone who works on a mod, and particularly, anyone who releases a mod. Also, not everyone may want to create something new, they may simply want to improve upon something, offer something extra, while maintaining the game they love and share their work with someone else.

But are we really so shocked to see unoriginal modding, when we see unoriginal games? Just look around at the number of sequels out there, a rehash of an idea, updated graphics and some slight improvements. How many connotations of The Sims do we have and how popular is it?

I remember from working on my mod project, an entire concept I came up with. Was it popular? Not really. Why? I don't know. Was it the concept, or the team? Who knows, but it didn't work. At the end of the day, I think people want something they can associate with, can compare, and ultimately, judge against something else.

I think, in the end, you have to support anyone on their mod project. Because more modding, will always bring about more creativity, and ultimately more originality. People will be inspired. I'm sure most people got into modding through playing a mod, or a custom map, gaining the inspiration from someone else, to make something yourself.

#14 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:01 PM

I agree with you all, I'm tired of seeing orcs, dorks, swords and shields, and I still think elves are faires. I can't wait for cnc3.

I'm tired of recycled shit I see see on EVERY modding section. TC's yes...more TC's please.

#15 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

I always believed the number one reason for most modders to make a mod, is because they enjoy making it, not just to satisfy the public. Whether to release the mod in public or ask for hosting is a second thing, but the mod itself is made usually because the modder or the mod team enjoys making it, I think. I usually also enjoy TC's more, but that doesn't mean other non TC mods can't be fun to play.

#16 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 06 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

We all started somewhere. By editing gamedata so that this unit you love does crazy damage, or by changing a few things around. This is all part of the process of learning. The guy that comes with no experience at all, and expects to do a TC is doomed.

And so, we all learn by editing a few things here and there, encounter problems and ask the experienced ones hanging on the forums. We fix, we learn from our mistakes and move on to something harder.

It's not like we should start refusing hosting to small mods, just because they lack creativity. They might as well learn from their small "w00t <insert unit name> does more damage now" mod, and become excellent modders. Hosting crappy mods may well be an investment for the future :D

So while they learn, just ignore them and let them grow :p
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#17 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

We all started somewhere. By editing gamedata so that this unit you love does crazy damage, or by changing a few things around. This is all part of the process of learning. The guy that comes with no experience at all, and expects to do a TC is doomed.

And so, we all learn by editing a few things here and there, encounter problems and ask the experienced ones hanging on the forums. We fix, we learn from our mistakes and move on to something harder.

It's not like we should start refusing hosting to small mods, just because they lack creativity. They might as well learn from their small "w00t <insert unit name> does more damage now" mod, and become excellent modders. Hosting crappy mods may well be an investment for the future :D

So while they learn, just ignore them and let them grow :p

Words of the wise, I'll choose his opinion...

#18 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

But even among those mods, I feel one needs to be selective. The modders have to hold some sort of skill, as nobody out there wants to join a team. I don't blame them, but no modder can get away with being unskilled in one department, as that'll be the one department they need a second person for, and the one department nobody's willing to help with. Such is the way of modding.

#19 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

It's not like we should start refusing hosting to small mods, just because they lack creativity. They might as well learn from their small "w00t <insert unit name> does more damage now" mod, and become excellent modders. Hosting crappy mods may well be an investment for the future :p

So while they learn, just ignore them and let them grow ;)

While agree with most of what you said, there's a difference between a) starting out with editing small things privately and asking for help for required, and b) starting out with editing small things and hosting it on the internet for all to see how rubbish you are. If you know what I mean.

By all means, everyone has to start somewhere. But do people really need to post threads about how cool their super damage mod is and what's coming in the next 'version', when they can just move on and make something more creative, now they have developed their skills by trying things out.

#20 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Well it's part of the fun of modding. You achieve a few things, and you expect people to congratulate you.

Also, I find it regrettable that only a few of them actually get in teams to form bigger projects. Most of the modders just add a thing or two to share online with their friends, when their combined talents could lead to greater projects.

Something to try and solve for the newbies that'll arrive for CnC 3 ?
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users