help with modding

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 nemesis19810

nemesis19810
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

Hi i was just wanting to know if anyone can help i have downloaded the contra mod for zero hour i think its great and i have also got final big and i have changed things like the speed the way tanks fire the detonation type small things i know but a start its good but can anyone tell me how i make new tanks this is all new to me so can anyone tell me in depth

thanks kexy xx :p

#2 killakanz

killakanz

Infamy!

• Hosted
  • 1,369 posts
  • Projects:Infamy!
  •  They've all got it infamy!

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

It's pretty simple.
First grab gmax and Westwood's RenX pack, links can be found here: http://forums.revora...showtopic=15832

Then head here and follow the tutorial. :dry:
Everything you need to start making your own tanks and getting them into the game :lol:
Posted Image
New Tutorial Online Now!! Check it out!!

#3 nemesis19810

nemesis19810
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

It's pretty simple.
First grab gmax and Westwood's RenX pack, links can be found here: http://forums.revora...showtopic=15832

Then head here and follow the tutorial. :lol:
Everything you need to start making your own tanks and getting them into the game :lol:

Thanks sweety xx :dry:

#4 killakanz

killakanz

Infamy!

• Hosted
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

No probs :p

Any problems, just ask.
Posted Image

#5 nemesis19810

nemesis19810
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

No probs :p

Any problems, just ask.

LOL ok sweety you said ask so can you tell me how to change the way the blast looks of chinas Nuclear Missile ???

Thanks Kexy xx :p

#6 killakanz

killakanz

Infamy!

• Hosted
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

erm... ah... That would be particle effects stuff... in other words I have no idea...

Ok, to rephrase:
Any problems on the 3D modelling or animating front, just ask! :p

EDIT= thinking about it I know someone who would know. I'll see if I can contact him and get back to you on this...

Edited by killakanz, 19 May 2006 - 09:02 AM.

Posted Image

#7 nemesis19810

nemesis19810
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

erm... ah... That would be particle effects stuff... in other words I have no idea...

Ok, to rephrase:
Any problems on the 3D modelling or animating front, just ask! :p

EDIT= thinking about it I know someone who would know. I'll see if I can contact him and get back to you on this...

LOL It seems like av got you running all round sweety LOL

Lots of Thanks Kexy xxx :rolleyes:

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

Well I also got a question for some personal use modding, and since this thread was only 2 days old I mind as well post in here.

I imported a Hummer model into RenX, did some editing, and export the model back as W3D. Now the model shows in game but there is two problem. One the firebone(?), ie. MUZZLE01, doesn't follow the turret (although MUZZLEFX01 does), and the same case for MUZZLEUP01 and MUZZLEFXUP01. And the second thing is that for both MUZZLEFX01 and MUZZLEFXUP01, when it is displayed ingame it is shown as a flare with black around it (the game is displaying all of EXTnkMzl01.tga?). Some help would be appreicated.

Also I seem to have trouble trying to edit textures in RenX. I can add new textures to an object, but I can't seem to edit/delete existing textures in gmax material editor.

#9 killakanz

killakanz

Infamy!

• Hosted
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:00 AM

Gmax/RenX doesn't support .DDS textures, which might be why they don't show in gmax. Convert them to tga first, you can then see them in gmax and the game will use the .dds file of the same name. Usually you can just select an object and hit M to edit the texture settings applied to it.
The problem with the muzzle flash is the texture setting in gmax/renx. You need to change blend mode to Add in the Shader tab.
Make sure your muzzle bones are linked to the correct turrets before exporting, if that fails link them to the muzzlefx.

@ Kexy, the nuke blast has an entry in the ParticleSystem.ini file, don't remember where that is offhand, but I looked at it over the weekend and, well, I haven't figured it out. You've got RGB and Alpha values for the particles but I'm not sure what the rest of the code is for. There's also an FXList.ini with entries in there too. I can't be of much more help than that untill I can figure it out myself though...
Posted Image

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:54 AM

Ok, I got the textures things working, except the material editor sometimes crashes gamx when I open it but I'll work around it. But thanks anyways.

As for the bone part, it still doesn't work. I tried linking them on to the FX and even alternating the bones to link to the other turret. Still can't get it right.

#11 killakanz

killakanz

Infamy!

• Hosted
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

Ok, I got the textures things working, except the material editor sometimes crashes gamx when I open it but I'll work around it. But thanks anyways.

Yea, that kinda sucks. Gmax is extremely unstable in some areas, particularly the Material lists and the WWSkin areas. We all have to live with it, just remember to save pretty often. ;)

As for the bones, did you re-name them? Have you got Export Transform unticked for them in W3D tools?
Posted Image

#12 nemesis19810

nemesis19810
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

Gmax/RenX doesn't support .DDS textures, which might be why they don't show in gmax. Convert them to tga first, you can then see them in gmax and the game will use the .dds file of the same name. Usually you can just select an object and hit M to edit the texture settings applied to it.
The problem with the muzzle flash is the texture setting in gmax/renx. You need to change blend mode to Add in the Shader tab.
Make sure your muzzle bones are linked to the correct turrets before exporting, if that fails link them to the muzzlefx.

@ Kexy, the nuke blast has an entry in the ParticleSystem.ini file, don't remember where that is offhand, but I looked at it over the weekend and, well, I haven't figured it out. You've got RGB and Alpha values for the particles but I'm not sure what the rest of the code is for. There's also an FXList.ini with entries in there too. I can't be of much more help than that untill I can figure it out myself though...

Thanks alot it seems a bit hard for me but if you find anything else out and if you get time let me know ok

thanks kexy xxxx :p

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

As for the bones, did you re-name them? Have you got Export Transform unticked for them in W3D tools?

I have the names correct, but it seems Export Transform was not ticked. Darn W3D importer. :p

#14 killakanz

killakanz

Infamy!

• Hosted
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:05 AM

It's always the little things you need to double-check on ;)
Posted Image

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:55 AM

I have a problem again. I tried to change the FX texture for an aircraft exhaust to blend mode of Add, and it doesn't work. It uses the same file as the humvee firing FX but it shows up as all black; the flare isn't even in it. What did I do wrong?

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:45 AM

Can you please help me again? How do I set the texture options for headlights so that they look "right" ingame?

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:06 AM

Nm about those questions; I figured it out.

#18 killakanz

killakanz

Infamy!

• Hosted
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

Sorry for my delay in answering.
Add is your friend ;)
Posted Image

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

lol, thats alright I'm sure you've got stuff to do. But for headlights I've found a tut that tells me to use Alpha Blend instead. http://www.sleipnirs...m/kb.php?t=9021

But by any chance do you know how to animate tanks threads? I've seen models that have moving threads but doesn't seem to be an animated model.

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:32 PM

Alpha blend only works if the image has an Alpha channel.

Also, tank treads --> http://forums.revora...showtopic=25390

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users