Release more often

4 replies to this topic

#1 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

I find the periods between releases are too long.

If you have changes which will increase AI performance on some noticable level you should release.

1.75 had some serious flaws regarding build/cap order and position which are already fixed with 1.8b1.
These fixes have some impact and are justifying a release on their own, together with the additional changes we shouldn't wait much longer.

No need to go through a painfull slow process of adding/testing more and more for month.
Just release as 1.76 and lots of players will be happy.

#2 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

Good idea - although I'd keep releases at every 1.X, rather then too many subdivisions.

Releasing every week is a bit silly, but monthly changes might be nice :lol:

I still need to find the time to test out improved commander code - which I hope could get tested sometime soon :lol:

#3 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

1.8 should be finished in 2 - 3 weeks. It won't be as big as 1.6 or 1.7. But I don't want to release anything before patch 1.5 is out.

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

But I don't want to release anything before patch 1.5 is out.

Quite agree here my friends! v1.5 is coming and gawd knows what will happen there. Once it does, I'll immediately put up a before and after snapshot to show what the differences are. I also have to get the code out to Larkin and all yourself but Gnarif is making a serious new code update to the AeP so I'll have it tomorrow or Wednesday. Standby!
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#5 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

1.5 will mainly "balance" the game more (subjective I know - and RTSs' can never be fully balanced, even if you think you can ;) ).

I'd see the AI behaviour relating to some units improve (especially the basilisk's range), the new psyker ability and the bugged units which made the AI somewhat ineffective ;) but I very much doubt the engine will change or AI change.

Though delaying it I guess won't matter much. Setting a deadline couldn't hurt - these recent changes I've seen the AI fight in some situations a bit better then before (noticeably!).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users