• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Drewry

Drewry

title available

• Project Team
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

I just saw the Da Vinci code, and I do not really understand where all the controversy is. I believe in God and I am a Christian. But whether or not Jesus was divine, to me, really doesn't matter. It doesn't matter to me if anything in the Bible actually happened or not. I like to believe it did, but if a news report came out tomorrow saying that there is empirical proof that the Bible was fake, I would not be shaken in my beliefs one bit.

Because what Jesus stood for was something more than priests, bishops and popes. He stood for an idea. An idea that humanity could live in peace with love for one another. The Bible has been spread all over the world, and in it carries a message of love. You see, it doesn't matter to me if any of it is true, because the message in it is more true than ever. It is something that all humans can relate with. It is something that has changed billions of peoples lives for the better. It is that very message, that I think will make my future better and the future of humanity better. That one day we will all truly love one another and seek peace for eternity.

It is for these very reasons that I believe so strongly in what I believe. I am a Christian because of these beliefs. Being a Christian, to me, does not mean that you have to go to church, and listen to everything the church says. It is so much more than that, it is that inner peace of love. Because god is love, and so long as you have faith in that, you will find happiness.

PS - The da Vinci code is a very interesting story, however interesting it is there is one small paradox that cannot be denied. If the theory is true, then Dan Brown and everyone involved with the mass publication of the story would all certainly be dead by now.
Drewry H. Morris V - Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
www.druvianism.org

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

religious people are easily deceived. thus once some new "information" comes to their ears they are not slow to start believing in it...

not that i would blame them, most religious texts are just as valid as the da vinci code imo. written by humans to exploit humans...

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

Why don't people understand that The Da Vinci Code is fact weaved with superb fiction? Whether it's true is a moot point. If you're strong in your beliefs, one fiction book is not going to change the world. Therein lies the problem with people, they're too easily influenced. Too many believers are taking it as fact and are in up in arms over it.

Oh well, that's the great thing about being what I am. No silly religion to get in the way of a smashing good read.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#4 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

You are right that peace and love may the goal of Christianity, but i believe many christians misenterpret this goal. I know of many Christians who are extremely racist, prejudice and closed minded to anyone that do not share their views.

#5 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:23 PM

The true secret of the Da Vinci Code is the millions of £ or $ which Dan Brown and anyone who has joined the Grail hunt bandwagon has made and the millions of people who overreact or believe it to be true.

The whole blood line theory is based upon an mistranslated manual script by a british guy in 1500's or something which mistakingly wrote the french for grail into french for blood.

No one cares if the grail is real or not they get soaked up in the atmosphere and the legends of bravery and being a champion, defender etc basically human ideals which we strive to achieve.

The central point of Christianity though is Christ and his sacrifice hence why the religion is called Chrisitanity.

But hey everyone loves a good conspiracy be it true or not.

Edited by Allied General, 21 June 2006 - 10:26 PM.

Posted Image

#6 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

All i know is it is a great film and no reason why i couldnt have happened, Jesus might as well have enjoyed himself while he was on earth. ;)

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

Yes it was an excellent movie, whether fact or fiction. However, I enjoyed the book a lot more.

#8 AOWR-Theoo Stratiotes

AOWR-Theoo Stratiotes
  • Members
  • 189 posts
  • Projects:Personal, unanounced MODs I might try to release

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

All I know about it is that my Pastor read about six sentences out of it (all the while I'm thinkin "What in the heck is this"), and then threw it accrosss the room.
Into the fires of Orodruin,
The One must be cast
This is the price that must be paid,
Only thus its power will be undone
Only thus, a great evil, unmade

There is no other choice.
There is no other way.
One of you must take it,
One of you must pay.

Mi naurath Orodruin
Boe hedi i vin
Han i vengad i moe ben bango
Sin eriol natha tur in ugarnen
Sin eriol um beleg ugannen

U cilith 'war.
U men 'war.
Boe min mebi,
Boe min bango.

#9 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

Haha.....you should read it. It's an excellent book.

#10 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:44 AM

certainly is, gonna get my hands on "the holy blood and the holy grail" too

your pastor is an idiot, he's missed out on a good book :lol:
Posted Image

#11 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

I haven't read the book yet (or seen the film). My mum bought it and it's on my list of 'Books-I-want-to-read-sometime'. I estimate it'll be read somewhere between now and 2015, because there's plenty of things I want to do and the list of books isn't short :).

#12 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

All I know about it is that my Pastor read about six sentences out of it (all the while I'm thinkin "What in the heck is this"), and then threw it accrosss the room.

The guy is beyond an idiot. Very, very far beyond. I'm thinking he missed all the parts of the bible on acceptance, and that whole "love thine enemy" thing,

#13 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:19 AM

Well ok, now it's time for me to talk religion. My first thought is anyone who throws something across the room without reading it cannot fully understand it. SO many people who are religious are so closed minded. I was raised fully Christian, I swallowed every word.

I still believe in God but I also have gotten alittle older and colder. I'm also not too stupid to understand the King James version of the bible is an edited version of the bible. Such as removing relevant tomes such as the book of Thomas and such.

So why don't you invite your pastor into a rational conversation with another "learned" person of the bible. I'd love to discuss many things with your pastor. As I have many topics I'd like to touch on.

A thread devoted to people who believe in God. No non believers allowed. A rational discussion between two learned men. I'm open to that. Not a challenge, more a request. Back to the torah for real terms.

The only thing I love more than discussing politics is discussing religion. Why not bring your pastor into this so we may exchange ideas on obvious idealogical holes in the Christian religion. If there are failures in the idealogy of religion it is not because of God, it is because of man's perversion of the word of God.

Care to chat more on the idea? :p

#14 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:46 AM

The guy is beyond an idiot. Very, very far beyond. I'm thinking he missed all the parts of the bible on acceptance, and that whole "love thine enemy" thing,

Oh, and someone forgot that it's fiction by a reputable author of fiction. I read Deception Point, very good book.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#15 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:18 AM

Go away MSpencer, you'll scare away all the people that way. I'm trying to draw in a logical theological discussion, if your idea is to destroy any attempt at that, than please refrain. I'd like to hear from the so called scholar preacher on the subject.

#16 AOWR-Theoo Stratiotes

AOWR-Theoo Stratiotes
  • Members
  • 189 posts
  • Projects:Personal, unanounced MODs I might try to release

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:23 AM

My preacher probably doesn't modify games.

Subtitle: He's never goanna come here. Although... it would be cool to see the debate.
Into the fires of Orodruin,
The One must be cast
This is the price that must be paid,
Only thus its power will be undone
Only thus, a great evil, unmade

There is no other choice.
There is no other way.
One of you must take it,
One of you must pay.

Mi naurath Orodruin
Boe hedi i vin
Han i vengad i moe ben bango
Sin eriol natha tur in ugarnen
Sin eriol um beleg ugannen

U cilith 'war.
U men 'war.
Boe min mebi,
Boe min bango.

#17 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

This request is not because of modding games, Revora is alot more than that. This is a forum where people talk about things.

Why wouldn't he take up the opportunity to come share his thoughts. It would be fun, and I'll deflect all the non believers who will simply flame anyone who believes in God.

You have my word. I'll remove anyone who is a non believer. A simple up front discussion on God. But your "pastor" better know his bible...

#18 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

Oh, and someone forgot that it's fiction by a reputable author of fiction. I read Deception Point, very good book.

It certainly is, I thought digital fortress was a bit naff though.

Don't you find it funny how he begins all three books with a minor character dying? :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#19 Orc Master

Orc Master
  • New Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

But whether or not Jesus was divine, to me, really doesn't matter

Wow, now THAT'S beyond whatever a christian should ever have said. If Jesus wasn't divine, then christianism makes absolutely no sense, because christianism was FOUNDED on the fact that Jesus is divine.

Good for us, we have scientifical proof that he was. So, don't waste your time reading conspiracy stuff based on pseudo-science.

Read Artemis Fowl: cool conspiracy and no anti-christian garbage anywhere.

#20 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

Oh yes, everything is anti-Christian...
Scientific proof? I think not.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users