• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

I was in charge doing the DoWPro AI based on the latest skirmish AI 1.8b1.

DoWpro is in constant change and my coding time is limited these days so I find less thrill in doing the AI.

Arkhan seems to follow its progress closely, feel free to take over the AI if you like to.

EDIT: Tell me if you do so. I have to show you some hack with the core code to get the new IG vehicle pop system working.

Edited by LarkinVB, 23 May 2006 - 06:13 AM.

#2 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

Hmm.. so you've stopped DoWPro AI development? Are you doing any development? Did you find a full time job or another game to mod for? :p I'm hoping yer still sticking at it especially when the 2nd expansion arrives.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#3 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

I will still hang around helping here and there but my interest in DOW is declining. Guess I will help Arkhan with 1.8 doing some beta tests and offering my 2cents.

DoWPro is a great mod but its numerous and continous changes make it hard to follow up with the AI. Together with sub par interteam communication the frustration was exceeding the fun. Right time to stop. I feel no grudge and Korbah is a nice person. as are others in the team.

I will certainly buy the expansion. If Relic manages to improve the AI API I'm sure I will make my comeback.

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

Understand bud. I need to get that AI tool out to ya as even with massive changes to the mod you can easily make AI changes in minutes - not hours or days. I am receiving a major code update from Gnarif so standby. I will be giving it to all of you for recommendations to be sent to Gnarif. This Tool allows me to save sooo much time its nuts. So standby... Glad yer still helping out my dear friend!

#5 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

I am sure you'll hang around at least for the default AI - however much you think of the races ;)

I'd have thought it double hard to develop at all for the DOWPro team. The difficulties with so many fast (and seemingly random, uncoordinated and undocumented) changes would boggle the mind to balance AI for - even just getting the AI working for it, haha!

#6 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

Arkhan seems to follow its progress closely, feel free to take over the AI if you like to.

Thanks for the offer, but sorry, not really interested to join another mod at the moment. I think after you've implemented and adjusted their AI, they should be able to stand on their own feet. Excedrin would be a good successor as DOWPro AI manager if he agrees. I think he's a DOWPro team member and also has some knowledge about the AI.
The only thing I would do is helping them out if they have a specific problem and ask our team through Thudo for help. Thudo normally checks out the problem and I only get involved if it's really necessary. I might also add additional build programs (so each race has four) if you haven't done it already for 1.56. If you've one working program, the other three are normally easy to add so this wouldn't be too much work.

#7 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

I need to get that AI tool out to ya as even with massive changes to the mod you can easily make AI changes in minutes - not hours or days. I am receiving a major code update from Gnarif so standby. I will be giving it to all of you for recommendations to be sent to Gnarif. This Tool allows me to save sooo much time its nuts. So standby...

Sounds interesting. On standby ...

#8 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

With the changes made in the latest 1.75 version the modularity should mean some parts for DOWPro are much easier to change, so the attribute people could modify it themselves anyway...

#9 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI, DoW Mod Studio
  •  Blue Text :)

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

With my current tool, I'll soon be writing code (or at least try to) to generate full AI for a mod. It will be in the form of a script, so technical people will be able to change it without recompiling the whole program. Once it is set up, making DoWPro AI (or any other mod's AI) should be as simple as pressing a few buttons.

Edited by Corsix, 24 May 2006 - 05:37 PM.

Posted Image

#10 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

making DoWPro AI (or any other mod's AI) should be as simple as pressing a few buttons.

:) :grin: :lol: WTF?!!?! Btw.. we do have a Unitstats.ai tool for making the scripts based on the rgds within the \attrib folder. It works perfectly and puts the effectiveness values in order as they should. We're also "rounding the numbers and "normalizing them" so they fall between 0 and 10.

#11 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

Once it is set up, making DoWPro AI (or any other mod's AI) should be as simple as pressing a few buttons.

So where is the fun ?

Good luck. I'm not convinced yet :)

#12 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

Especially for the more complex code needed to activate abilities for specific units, while my commander code requires a few extra inputs to work right (if I ever bother to post the changes for the latest code, which means people might have a chance to say "yay" or "nay", heh).

#13 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:15 AM

I think Corsix means generating "general scripts" based on various rgd inputs. Nevertheless, I'll see what he means and give him the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, with Gnarif's forthcoming updated AeP, one can churn out whole brand new AI scripts from start to finish in a day and playtest it in another. My record is a full 2 day turn around time (from nothing to full playtest - a record!). Without the AeP, it would take me a week or more.

Also.. as you'll see with 1.5 when the new AeP arrives, I can see changes in the code in a matter of seconds thus updating our AI to 1.5 will be a joke especially if things such as build/research orders, unit abilities or general stats, or names of any kind have changed.

Nevertheless.. things are ALOT different now for DoW AI. This project could NOT be without you all and simply astounds me how much its evolved. :lol:

#14 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:19 AM

Im looking forward to both Gniarfs and Corsix tools.

Where is Gniarfs tool Thudo. Don't tease, deliver ! :)

#15 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

Its ready.. I'll send it via email to you, FD, Corsix, Arkhan, and Excedrin with dox that explain everything.

PLEASE offer critique on what you'll see. Its helped me immensely and I would want us to chat with Gnairf via MSN to effect changes. I chatted with him for an hour yesterday on releasing the latest AeP build.

#16 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:01 AM

So when ?

#17 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

Give me 2 days.. My grandmother passed away and her funeral is tomorrow.. Docs are half complete.

#18 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:22 PM

My condolences :( . Take your time Thudo. Family comes first.

#19 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

I feel sorry for you. Best wishes to you and your family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users