Hello everyone!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SniperJP02

SniperJP02
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:00 AM

I just want to take a moment to say hi to the people here at the3rdage.net, so "Hello". My friend and I have been browsing the site, mainly the tutorials and have been inspired to create a mod for BFME2. I am a Graphics Artist and can do textures/skinning/mapping but can also model a little and am improving. And my friend is a modeller/animator with a few minor skills in textures and skinning. So we have the art side covered, however, we fall short in the coder/programmer side of things. I have worked with .ini files in the past, but I have never manipulated .ini files to this extent. We followed everything supplied on the site as closely as possible but we have run into a few "problems" so to say.

For our first mod we will be recreating the anime series "Berserk" and for this mod we plan to create atleast the following:
1. 2 New Factions (Band of the Hawk, Chuda*)
2. New models and building for both factions
3. New heroes and spells for each faction
4. And unique balances for each faction

When we looked at the tutorials we have realized they are made for BFME not BFME2 and some things have clearly changed. Making factions seems to be the biggest problem as all the info from GoodFactionBuildings.ini/EvilFactionBuildings.ini have been moved to there own files. So after this we began to worry what else was changed as we are limited in this field as it is. I also tried to replace a model already in the game with a new one and it didnt work, all I did was replace the model in the W3D.big.

So what we need to know is what .ini files are needed other than the ones mentioned in the tutorials,
PlayerTemplate.ini
Science.ini
Upgrade.ini
VictorySystem.ini
CommandSet.ini
GoodFactionBuildings.ini/EvilFactionBuildings.ini

and whatever other files need to be changed to get models and textures to work ingame. Examples are also greatly appreciated. Also we need to know what kinds of bumpmapping, if any, is supported by the engine and what resolution texture files are used. And if you think the burden for this type of mod is too great for someone inexperienced please let me know, I have a friend who is a programmer if worst comes to worst. But this is meant to be a learning experience for my friend and I.

Thanks for the help & "Hello" again,

-Jacob Patten

#2 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:00 PM

I just want to take a moment to say hi to the people here at the3rdage.net, so "Hello". My friend and I have been browsing the site, mainly the tutorials and have been inspired to create a mod for BFME2. I am a Graphics Artist and can do textures/skinning/mapping but can also model a little and am improving. And my friend is a modeller/animator with a few minor skills in textures and skinning. So we have the art side covered, however, we fall short in the coder/programmer side of things. I have worked with .ini files in the past, but I have never manipulated .ini files to this extent. We followed everything supplied on the site as closely as possible but we have run into a few "problems" so to say.

For our first mod we will be recreating the anime series "Berserk" and for this mod we plan to create atleast the following:
1. 2 New Factions (Band of the Hawk, Chuda*)
2. New models and building for both factions
3. New heroes and spells for each faction
4. And unique balances for each faction
-Jacob Patten

Hi Jacob. I only just read this post. Great idea! I loooove Beserk! :p

If you want to build new factions, and haven't done anything like it already, it is always advisable to start small. Take one of the existing factions and tweak it bit by bit. A complete overhaul is only good, if you know exactly what you need to do. I don't, really. Any kind of example is bound to be more like a complete instruction how to do it, hence the lack of reaction to this post. I don't think, that the burden is too much, even if it takes a long time to build a complete faction, as long as you get results along the way. So start small and be happy about every little thing that starts to work (as i always am). The knowledge of what to do, and even ideas what else you want to incorporate, comes with slowly learning the ins and outs of almost [i]all] the ini-files and the way all of the games 'objects' are defined and used. You'll get there in time.

SO. Please don't be discouraged. Start small, ask small questions, get small/quick answers and all will work out fine! :) Just bring some time and endurance to the workshop.

Hoping for the best ...

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#3 Tomat

Tomat

title available

• Project Team
  • 485 posts
  • Projects:Nothing(retired)

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:19 PM

Now dont forget to get here and show all your work someday :p
Posted Image

#4 -V4V3ND3TTA-

-V4V3ND3TTA-
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

This post looks strangely familar... :p

Edited by -V4V3ND3TTA-, 29 May 2006 - 01:21 PM.

#5 SniperJP02

SniperJP02
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured that I would get such a response Sulherokhh. Me and my friend are getting prepped to start minor tweaks and I have been reading alot of other peoples posts. We are currently working on some models though and hope to show you guys some progress soon. But like I said, its not the art-side we are worried about its the coding so hopedfully it will go along smooth when we do try to implement everything together.

Thanks again for the replies and any further help is appreciated. 'Til then I'll keep browsing :p

#6 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

you know, you have like the opposite problem of almost every other beginning modder
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#7 Mullers_11

Mullers_11

Onlooker

• Project Team
  • 806 posts
  • Projects:Visions, The Four Ages
  •  Not active

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

you know, you have like the opposite problem of almost every other beginning modder

Sure is.... funny

Good luck if ya go on with ya mod.

Retired

#8 Guest_CURTO_*

Guest_CURTO_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:15 AM

[yooooooooooooooo... i wana use blender u should stop being lazy and see how we can use that even if we need like several programs and transfer from 1 to the next. It has this crazy surface tool like making a good face took me a few hrs. In blender it takes 20min at the most. i havent found any limitations to modeling aspect. The animations seem good but dont seem to come with premade bones i think...if u see this get on aim or call me. Oh yah i found some ppl that are gona help with art and music and they are going to find me some modelers that i will teach and this 1 that is super sick man, hes LEEET!!..Im still gona make berserk and the shooter characters..just in blender now. cus its leeter (and free) well its a friday hopefully ina few weeks somthing would be put together.for both mods.

ANY1 no if u can use blender for this game somehow???

#9 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

if you can do the conversion Blender -> 3Ds, then yes. Otherwise I can't see any other way.
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users