#1 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

Next one :shiftee: !

Changes:

- Included new AIControl panel to allow the adjustment of various settings for each difficulty (Exe + Readme in AI folder)

- Improved behaviour if squads are attacked while capturing. They now check the strength of attacker, allies and themselves to decide if they should interrupt their capturing

- Included Larkins new dancing code to let Farseers and Sorcerers dance away from commanders

- Cleaned up the code a bit

- The min radius around the HQ is now increased to cover at least the four closest strategic points (Good results on Mountain Trail)

- Allied support improved and should now work much better

That's all for now I think...

#2 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI, DoW Mod Studio
  •  Blue Text :)

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

Why can't thud give you FTP upload rights? I hate having to wait for him tp upload it...
Posted Image

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:20 PM

I can.. I'll give him access to do so tonight.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#4 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:53 AM

Didn't test it yet but config panel is cool.

#5 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:38 AM

Up on the site - and yes its a VERY cool addition! :huh:
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#6 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

Report #1 for 1.8 Beta 2

Match: 2 Vs 2 (2 x Chaos Vs 2 x Space Marines)
Map: Mountain Trail
A.I Difficulty: Hard
Resources Rate: Normal/Standard
Resources Sharing: Off/No
Winner: Me & Ally

Comments: I couldn't test previous builds since a long time already, but from what I've experienced and noticed for this very build, is that you guys (Arkhan, Thudo, Larkin) have done a marvelous job. This build is a jewel compared to the last time I tested a Beta build, which I believe was somewhere during the 1.7 Beta 11 days or so.

With that said, there a few things worth mentioning, and, unfortunately, one major issue, regarding the almighty (or not) Bloodthirster (oh yes, once again, a problem with a Relic unit). I will describe what happened with him later in this report, but for now, I will give some details as to what I could easily see from just one playback of my replay.

Chronologically speaking, it could go as follows (noticeable events/behaviors only):

1) At around 9:00 minutes, on the middle-east part of the map (just north-east of my own Relic, there is a Listening Post, and "behind" that one, completely to the east side of the map, there is a Critical Location, so what happened was located between that Listening Post and that Critical Location), I could notice one Chaos Raptor Squad properly trying to flee from a superior group of Scouts and Assault Space Marines (they were my own units, followed by a Force Commander, attached to one of the Scouts Squad). And they did manage to flee the area, as I ordered my units not to resume the pursuit.

2) At around 21:00 minutes, at Computer 2's starting location (Chaos Space Marines), you could see at least one Chaos Predator constantly trying to keep his distance against a pursuing Squad of Assault Marines (my own units), as I basically raped most of their "main base", but eventually failed to completely wipe them out. I am mentioning this because, to me, it is new to see such a good "keep your distance" behavior. I saw that before I think, but I believe it wasn't that well incorporated. So, as of now, I think the coding behind that is simply said, excellent.

3) From now on, things started to shape into results of "I control the place, the enemy is basically dead, it's just a matter of time". At around 26:00 minutes, at my starting location, I was officially cut out of my main resources and military production capabilities (main base destroyed), but not completely destroyed. Because I thought, earlier, about building a Temple to the south of the map (Listening Post), along with a Barracks (just in case).

The important thing to notice here, is that we (me and my allies) won, actually because I survived, althought I shouldn't have, considering how easily I could have been destroyed.

4) After Computer 3 (Chaos Space Marines from the north-west starting location) destroyed my main base (at that time, Computer 2 was just re-building their stuff after my main attack against them, so they themselves couldn't afford attacking anything in mass), they suddenly decided to go back north, and help Computer 2, against my assaulting Space Marines allies.

The problem, as I consider it so, is that Computer 3 took his whole force north to help his ally, which I believe was the very mistake that ultimately put them both into hell coffins at the end.

Why ?

Because by staying alive (with a Temple and Barracks), I kept giving resources (both types to start with, and then only requisition, relatively regularly, until the end) to my allies, which greatly helped them, because believe me, they used every drop of requisition I gave them.

And on my own side, I didn't just gave my allies some resources, but I also managed to take back all my originally owned Listening Posts (just capturing them), as well as capturing some of Computer 2's Listening Posts to the north.

All that, done by two mere Squads of Space Marines, and one Squad of Assault Terminator I managed to keep alive earlier, thanks to the major Bloodthirster issue, which I'll talk about right here ...

At exactly 29:00 minutes, the Chaos Lord at my starting location, transformed into a Bloodthirster. But, prior to the mutation itself, my single Assault Terminator Squad was already fighting against that very Chaos Lord (which was also attached to Chaos Space Marines).

So, the mutation occured properly, but the Bloodthirster did not fight at all. He never, ever moved a single milimeter, while my Terminators were happily ripping the demon's flesh apart in the name of the Emperor without any resistance.

But ... that's not all. At exactly 32:26 minutes, and at 780 Health points or so, the Bloodthirster used his powerful wings and fled the attacking Terminators, and the whole area itself. He eventually just died out by himself from moving too much around without actually attacking a single enemy unit during his short but whole presence on the battle field. So, for a period of just a bit more than three minutes, the Bloodthirster basically did nothing.

The very fact that me and my allies won, is because of one major thing, and perhaps the Bloodthirster bug, as well. If it wouldn't have been the case, that Computer 3 sent his major forces to the north, I could, and I should have died, which would have turned into a big loss for my ally, since I kept helping them until the end.

What should Computer 3 have done in my opinion ?

He should have been able to split the reinforcing units in two groups.

One group of the best units (vehicles) immediately going north, as he did. But, the other group should have been given a new priority, and that should have been of destroying my "secondary base", which, as I said, could have been destroyed extremely easily (it had two Missle Turrets, one Temple, one Barracks, and one Level 2 Listening Post).

Actually, when Computer 3 sent his forces to help Comp 2, I saw a Defiler heading towards my secondary base, but suddenly changed its direction and went for Comp 2's assistance, along with the rest of the groups, except for the Chaos Lord which kind of got "stuck", and which resulted in him muting into a stuck Bloodthirster.

So, that playback I just analyzed proves two things to me, so far, which are:

A) 1.8 Beta 2 provides a great "natural" feel to the game-play. The way fleeing behaviors are coded, and how some units keep their distances against others (such as Chaos Predators), asks for more strategy thinking from a human player, and helps the A.I itself not to loose their important units in a kamikaze manner.

B) 1.8 Beta 2 obviously has a problem with at least the Bloodthirster. Was the "stuck" problem caused by a Mountain Trail-specific pathing bug ? Was it because he never received any "attacking order" ? Because he did not have priorities other than fleeing when about to die ? That, you guys will have to take a look at, since all I can do is observe/analyze, and not actually fix, hehe.

There is others things that I saw properly occured, such as Heroe units attaching themselves to different groups of infantry (Scouts/Heretics and others). No problems there so far. As well as weapons upgrades for infantry groups along with vehicles such as Dreads. All that seemed alright as of now.

Finally, perhaps I could mention the following: The Critical Location on the far east side of the map, remained un-touched for the whole game. I captured it early in the game, and never for the whole 30+ minutes game I saw any enemy infantry going there, or anywhere near there with the obvious purpose of capturing it, not even by completely avoiding the Listening Post just before it. Although the Critical Location on the opposite side of the map was regularly fought for by my allies and the enemies. Again, a possible pathing problem ? I can't say for sure.

Well well, so far, I think the replay I included for you guys will of course help you understand my report better.

P.S/ I'm glad to be back for real this time. I'm sorry for testing that late into development after 1.7 was released, but I can't afford to play games too often due to my day job. I hope you guys can comprehend the situation.

Edited by Zenoth, 26 May 2006 - 09:22 PM.

#7 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:52 PM

This replay does show strength and weakness of the mod in its current state.
Please check it in detail, Arkhan.

Some observations :

1. Chaos A did NOT help while Zenoth crippled chaos B base.
2. Chaos did loose numerous squads in first 10 minutes with no gain gain. This alone should give hints for improvements en masse.
3. Chaos did attack Zenoth base with few troops instead of taking points on the way between its base and Zenoth base.
4. Bloodthirster was stunned by AT. That's the reason he didn't move.
5. Again useless jump attacks which were quickly follow by retreats.
6. No need to save resources by buildplans while the AI has no HQ and builder left. Chaos had still sac pit and barracks but tried to save for HQ.
7. Lots of back/forth moves by CC troops. Check out cultists against the LP near Zenoth base.

I strongly suggest watching the game from the perspective of chaos fighting Zenoth to see what can be improved as it did show lots of weak moves.

#8 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

4. Bloodthirster was stunned by AT. That's the reason he didn't move.

What exactly governs the movement of any entity in the game if it isn't the availability of space around it ?

I mean, did my Terminators somehow "denied" or "deleted" paths for the Bloodthirster by constantly fighting him ? I can't see why it happened.

I did that on previous builds, and never I saw a Bloodthirster or a Squiggoth to that matter doing just nothing until the fleeing behavior kicks in caused by the low amount of health. Surrounding a Relic unit like a Bloodthirster with one or two Squads, I do that regularly, and, well I just repeat myself here, it's the first time I see a BT doing nothing like that.

He did jumped out of the danger with his wings and fled the area. Why couldn't he move before ?

Well of course I ain't a coder, and I never made any maps for this game, nor do I fully understand how pathing is handled by the engine, but I know one thing is for sure, is that it was the first time that I myself saw something like that happen.

Oh, and, something else I pointed in my report that I will repeat here as a suggestion for the coders: Would it be possible to tell "reinforcing groups" to split their reinforcing units in two groups, and resume their previous goal with half their forces ?

For example, my main base was destroyed as I said in my report, by Computer 3 (Chaos from north-west starting location). My secondary base was nothing else but to his mercy just after he destroyed my main base. Suddenly, he somewhat "changed his goal", and now had to reinforce Computer 2 (his ally of course). But instead of splitting his group in two, he sent everything he had north, even though he did not need that much to help his ally.

He should have been able, in my opinion, to split his forces, and tell one of them to resume the goal prior to the new "reinforce" order he received, which was destroying my base.

If he did that, I would have died.

Then, the Bloodthirster would have probably never been caught by my Terminators in the first place. He would have probably used the Bloodthirster to wreak havok somewhere important enough against my ally, and it would have completely changed the result. I'm pretty sure they would have won the game.

Edited by Zenoth, 26 May 2006 - 10:20 PM.

#9 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:48 AM

Assault termies can stun enemy units. It is an ability of them. Doesn't have anything to do with AI.

#10 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

My main issues are

1.) The two camikaze cultist squads (I wonder if they were on a capturing mission or a spread attack force.)
2.) Chaos sacrificed two raptor squads against LP + turrets (They didn't attack, so they probably had no attack plan. But where did they want to go? Retreating, supporting?!?)
3.) SM didn't support Zenoth as his base was destroyed
4.) Squads sometimes wait too long until they get a new target

The stunned bloodthirster is a Relic problem. I've seen the exact same BT behaviour vs other troops too. You don't need stunning weapons, it's enough to just surround a BT and he gets trapped and can't move or attack anymore. Typical for all big units. Relics unit AI for those units is just plain bad. There's no other word for it.

Splitting forces is very, very dangerous. It might have been usefull in this situation, but SM had landraider and terminators in the chaos base. You need a bit more than just a few forces to get them out again. AI can handle one defense and one attack at the same time, but it was a special situation of a target change since the HQ location was wiped out and the chaos AI searched for a new location to attack. The allied support was in principle the right decision. I'll think about what can be changed and/or improved.

BTW, I'd be interested if the handicap setting and the standard dancing behaviour works as it should. Feedback welcome...

#11 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:50 AM

Beta is looking okay. I forgot to get a replay saved (doh!) of a 2v2v2v2 I played.

I saw some very nice early forceful play from my nearest enemy.

There are still some problems with determining "Best place for our power generators". I crippled the enemy nearest me (eldar) who then could never produce any kind of vehicle to stop me (I didn't even have that large an army) once I trounced their power generators.

I was playing Burial Grounds, I quite like its standard affair layout and 2-entry-to-base mentality. The problem was the Eldar in the corner nearest me put their generators on one of their nearby LP points - which made them *easier* to access.

I seriously think that the whole "away from HQ is better" might need looking at in some situations. If the LP is *on the way to the enemy* (and on Burial grounds, this is all LPs!) then it is not a good idea to use that to put power at, and the central back of your base is a better location :p I'm not sure of the best code for this, but might have a look at the current stuff and see.

This is my main gripe so far (apart from "easily" winning still :p ). I'll try and get some more testing time in, and hook my commander stuff in, although I have seen more attachments due to the AI producing a decent army and not dying so fast compared to earlier versions :p

Edit:

I haven't actually seen the AI help defend me. I was pretty much not attacked enough to warrant it. I also played a map where it is unlikely the AI would flank you and so attack your base when you were away (this is, of course, due to the AI attacking the nearest-ish player ;) ). It basically breaks the map up into 1v1, 1v1, 1v1, 1v1, sadly, heh.

I'll play another map to get a better range of stuff, and test to make sure the enemy is doing things as well as it can.

Edited by Finaldeath, 28 May 2006 - 01:56 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users