7 replies to this topic

#1 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

Lads, I'm so fed up.

We invested hundreds of hours of our time and all I hear is whining, whining, whining.

It started to go overboard with ThetaOrion and I'm pretty sure he is haunting me in the DoWPro forum with two smurf accounts.

I'm sooo happy Arkhan is taking the charge here as I'm completly disgusted and lost all interest in doing the AI.

Need to vent ...

#2 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:57 AM

Maybe I'm completly mistaken, but I honestly think that LodeStone and ArmyAnt in the DOWPro are actually both ThetaOrion. I can't prove it since I don't get any further info from the users but the style of writing is so typical and the hints about DOWXP and fairness mod are extremly suspicious since Theta posted in both mod threads a lot. Maybe you should ask the dowpro admin to check the accounts out. Theta really seems to haunt you. No idea why...

But it's late and maybe I'm only seeing ghosts and those user have nothing to do with Theta. :huh:

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:09 AM

Hmm.. I think ALL MODS suffer this for every PC game that is moddable.

You work your frick'n ass off building the mod to what it is.. then become satisfied with it... then.. guess what happens: you release it to the public and they nearly character-assassinate you over it.

Its utter BS because society these days wants near-perfections and ALL issues addressed. We are all born critics - that only excels when we get older. We have opinions - some are brutually plentiful like Thetas. Sux ballz but every community has one or 50.

However.. he is one or a short couple of voices.. you MUST listen to 95%+ of the community - they LOVE 1.75 Skirmish AI and the DoWPro equivalent.. doesn't that count for something big?!?

So we have some a-holes who always seem to rip the work down - do they speak for everyone? No. Yes they have valid opinions but NOT EVERYONE plays like a pro. Hell.. the majority of mod players are low-to-average players and look: THEY GET OWNED EVEN ON EASY and STANDARD!!! We get people with long battles on HARD and love it - massive kudos from all around.

Don't let a few opinionated users get ya down when the masses absolutely love the work done. This is OUR audience - not the minor "blow-hards" with a personality quirk.

This is a COMMUNITY PROJECT and the results are in: THEY LOVE BOTH AIs for both projects!!!

We theoretically could close it down and leave it at 1.75 but thats not the team we are: we see avenues to conquer and perfect what we trailblazed. In the end.. we have a majority of voices who sing the praises of the work done and only a handful of loud mouths which try to sour the tone of such a congregation.

Fear not: both AI projects have WON the battle long time ago and the legacy is long since been written.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#4 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

If you have any contact with the admin of their forums, IDing the different people to match IPs would be dead simple.

I know you feel down - I ranted (more privately) about Orion before, which kinda I hope put this private forum into more use and left beta testers to get any released in the public section...

...don't get me started on his posts at Relicnews.com, really.

Its really only him - but I cannot speak for DOWPro - which is an exaggerated mess of people all wanting something...

#5 Excedrin

Excedrin
  • Project Team
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:59 AM

1) ThetaOrion isn't indending to "stalk" Larkin, he's just insane and persistent, so he keeps trying to push forward his stupid idea. It's really nothing to get your panties in a bunch about. His horribly long stupid posts amuse me, but my viewpoint about them took a while to change. I feel more pity towards him than annoyance these days since he clearly needs proper medication for his condition.
2) I can confirm that LodeStone and ArmyAnt are ThetaOrion
3) "... but I cannot speak for DOWPro - which is an exaggerated mess of people all wanting something..." wtf? I'm not really sure what that even means, but it sounds negative. Negative bias against DoWpro is really tiresome and usually pointless. It's not like we're a bunch of hooligans who don't correct our disruptive behavior.
4) Almost forgot, Larkin, if you come back, there's always a place for you on the team. If not, good luck with whatever you spend your time on in the future.

Edited by Excedrin, 27 May 2006 - 06:01 AM.

#6 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Excedrin.

Yes, I'll have to learn to ignore Theta. It's hard though as he is polluting the RN forums with negative press about WA skirmish mod and DoWPro and I don't like this to be uncontested.

#7 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

you wtf without even knowing what I meant?!

"but I cannot speak for DOWPro - which is an exaggerated mess of people all wanting something"

My experience with them on the boards is that several people want X while several other people want Y and that even their development team adds things on the right side which the left don't want.

This is what I meant, that the team and people using it all want different things and therefore I cannot speak about how it is like to work on the AI there, unlike, say, a race mod.

Clearer?

#8 Korbah

Korbah
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

Luckily Finaldeath when it comes to coding DoWpro, the definitive decision ALWAYS comes down to me :)

There's endless streams of requests on our forums for which I have an almost unnatural talent to effortlessly ignore. As such the rabid and rediculous stuff doesn't even get a look in. However, I don't discourage ppl from contiually posting new ideas since every now and then there are good ideas that further the vision I subscribe to.

All this talk about how we're disorganised etc is kinda ungrounded....we've got a complete change history of every change this year in 100% accuracy - I just have an aversion for posting changelogs since i don't like wasting time justifying myself to a million ppl who apparently know better. Team organisation could I agree be improved but that's an ongoing problem due to different timezones and RL commitments - I doubt any team is without similar problems and ofc I'm always open to suggestions and feedback.

The problem that has arisen with larkin and AI is that changes are rapid and often invalidate the AI - moreover it's difficult to write up the information relevant to AI coding all the time since it's quite time consuming (and often prone to reversions etc during the arduous beta process). We're not a big team coding wise and the reality was that I wasn't able to spent enough time writing update list for larkin due to the ESGL deadline I was working towards (ESGL requires a final dowpro version on june 5th). Finaldeath, I think you've misjudged what we're about and our attitude - I'd just say keep an open mind about what we do and if you doubt the results I'd pick up DoWpro 1.6 when we release after WA1.5. I daresay it'll provide a fairly convincing argument as to what dowpro is all about.

and on theta....I'm with you larkin. He's an idiot through and through - just don't let him get to you. As Thuds said - there's always some crazy wanker out there looking to bash your hard work.

Edited by Korbah, 28 May 2006 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users