Questions galore

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stigar_*

Guest_Stigar_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:10 PM

I have been here but a few times before, and I have a series of questions that I asked in the oast that I'd like to get some further defining, because I really can't seem to get my head around how to make it work this time. :p

First, I'd like to refer to the following thread: http://forums.revora...showtopic=31097

As a quick summary, I asked how to install the DoW/WA AI -files by overwriting the vanilla AI entirely, rather than using the mod -manager as if I wanted to switch between them constantly. As if I for some atrange reason wanted to still play with the vanilla AI when I already had a better one, if you know what I mean. And most annoying of all, I had to rearrange the locations of all my custom textures, banners and so on.

But to get back to that thread; I asked the following:

"So how do I make it so that it replaces WA's native AI? What folder(s) is it in?"

And my answer read:

"Copy the data folder from (DoW)\dowai_mod\Data to (DoW)\wxp\Data."

Now this is where my first question comes in. The answer wasn't as clear as I'd have liked it to. Simply put, I directed the installer to a new folder I had simply called "AI", and placed in my desktop for me to instantly find it. In the folder, I found these items: Two icons, one green icon for the mod itself, and another green one for the uninstaller. A file called "Dowai.module", another two files/icons apparently related to the uninstaller as well. And lastly, a folder called "Dowai_mod".

So I went into the Dowai_mod -folder, and found a folder called "Data". Next, I entered the THQ/Dawn of War/WXP, and in WXP, I found an empty folder called "Data". Now; was I to take the entire "Data" -folder from the manually made "AI" folder in my desktop and place it inside the empty Data -folder in the WXP -folder? Or simply overwrite the empty one with the new one? Or What? :p

And secondly, I'd like to refer to this thread: http://forums.revora.net/index.php?showtop...;.\.\.

Basically, a step to achieve more humanlike AI is to have the AI -forces "dance" away from melee -assaults. That always annoyed me. Not because I didn't like that it got harder this way, but because it was entirely devoid of the 40K "coolness" I had more or less bought the game for. I got a receipt on how to disable this disgusting dancing. As you can see from the thread, that didn't go entirely without complications. :lol:

And I quote myself:

"So... how do one deactivate it?"

"Locate the file "Infantrytactic.ai in Dowai_mod/Data/ai/tactics folder.", sounded the answer. So, well, obviously, my files aren't in that folder. Like I said, I placed it in the WXP/Data -folder istead, like I was adviced. Instead I went to where I had installed it. That is, WXP/Data/Ai... STOP THE PRESS! In the "ai" -folder, there are no "Tactics" -folder like he said! So, now, what do I do? Well, there is a folder called "Tactics" inside a folder called "Core". But will it have the same effect?

So my questions are: "Have I manually installed the mod correctly? Do I even have it installed at the moment?", and "How do I actually change the AI dancing when the folder seems to be misplaced?". Thanks.

PS: I hope this wasn't too confusing to read. But I am extremely tired when I write this.

#2 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

Now; was I
A:
to take the entire "Data" -folder from the manually made "AI" folder in my desktop and place it inside the empty Data -folder in the WXP -folder?
B:
Or simply overwrite the empty one with the new one?
C:
Or What?

It's B. Afterwards it should look like WXP\data\ai and not WXP\data\data\ai which you will get with A.

If you have done this you have to look for WXP\data\ai\core\tactics\infantrytactic.ai to mess with dancing.
OR you wait for the next release which will have some goodies, including an easy way to disable/reduce dancing.

#3 Guest_Stigar (Grateful)_*

Guest_Stigar (Grateful)_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the quick-and easy guide! ;)

#4 Guest_Stigar_*

Guest_Stigar_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

Just to clarify one thing: One of the biggest misunderstandings in the dancing -thread, was the whole

"--Don't dance if enemy is ranged or we have more than 300% troopers
if stance == SquadAI.MSTANCE_Ranged or num_own > num_enemy * 3 then

infantry = nil
end"

-Issue. Let me just cautiously ask in another way: I am to delete the entire " --Don't dance if enemy is ranged or we have more than 300% troopers if stance == SquadAI.MSTANCE_Ranged or num_own > num_enemy * 3 then" -bit, but leave the "Infantry = nil, end" -part, is that so? Or additionally delete the "End" -part as well? In other words, what once looked like this:

--Don't dance if enemy is ranged or we have more than 300% troopers
if stance == SquadAI.MSTANCE_Ranged or num_own > num_enemy * 3 then

infantry = nil
end

Will now look like this:

Infantry = nil

(With or without the "End -bit.)?

#5 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:14 AM

Without the 'end'. infantry should be in small letters.

infantry = nil

#6 Guest_Stigar_*

Guest_Stigar_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

In the next version, (1.8?), will it also be possible to disable dancing away from commanders?

#7 Finaldeath

Finaldeath
  • Project Team
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:51 AM

Dancing is on a per-melee-unit-attacking-me basis I'm pretty sure it doesn't discriminate at all.

#8 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

It does.

The next version will allow no/little/full dancing but will not allow to select between infantry/commander/vehicles.

If you want no commander dancing just replace
	  local commander = Ability.Filters.CloseCommanderEnemy( squad_pos, enemy_dist, 1 )
with
		  local commander = nil

Edited by LarkinVB, 03 June 2006 - 08:38 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users