Photo

AI Difficulties - need your opinions.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: How should Contra.04 AI change?

The EASY AI must become:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The NORMAL AI must become:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The HARD AI must become:

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts
  • Projects:Remix Beta 1.0

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:07 AM

The Contra.04 AI is the base for which this vote is being taken.

I'll point out right now, that my opinion is pretty set and the AI for Remix3 is fully under development.

This forum is just to get an idea of where the comunity stands in opinion. Many of you have begged for easier, while many have begged for harder.

If you request is based on an AI BUG, mention that... don't say you want it harder because its broken... base your desicion on working AI. If there is a bug, report it. At the very least mention it here with your vote.

My opinion...

Easy: A little easier
Normal: A little harder
Hard: Insane

Edited by Creator, 26 June 2006 - 06:57 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#2 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

SAS Alpha Team Leader (Forum n00b Hunter 1st battalion)

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts
  • Projects:Remix Alpha Tester.
  •  I'm the remix alpha tester thats loves to attack n00bs... muhahah!!!

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

Little Harder = easy
Much Harder = normal
Much Harder/Insain = hard (this one is boarder line
Phoenix™ The Forgotten Samurai
A wise man chooses death before war, A wiser man chooses not to become war.
Posted Image
Foamy!?!! Xombie!?! Awesome Cannon Rock
Everyone should watch this and pass it on as its a very good argument on the subject of Global Warming.

#3 alpha86

alpha86

Vampire Queen

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

Easy - Much Harder
Normal - Much Harder
Hard - Insane.

With the new units and powers, the literally crys out to be made harder :)

*~si aeraesar bastosi shai por eil vyri eindral syl sosti eil thasti ail si basti os aeraesar jhyli*~

Posted Image~*Sufletul ei nu poate să fie salvat. Ea este blestemată.*~Posted Image

Posted Image

~*ai jhyli o shor eir si volaer os tia shyjael caes, volaer mai mar, si tyr thor syl si ae os ei baedi*~

#4 Slowpoke

Slowpoke
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

Insanely hard. I wipe the floor with all of the AI's.

#5 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

My opinion about insanee - it must be as hard as scriptable, but with minimal cheating.

#6 orkan39

orkan39
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

I reckon easy AI should be a little easier, normal AI should be much harder but with very little cheating and hard AI should be insanely difficult with maximum cheating.

Edited by orkan39, 22 June 2006 - 09:59 PM.

#7 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

I'm cool with the normal and hard both being made much harder... but I have to ask, WHY make the easy harder?? sense there are people asking for easier and harder, wouldn't it make sense to try and apease both. If you need harder, set it to hard, if you need it easier, set it to easy... the whole purpose of varying dificulties is so they can be different.

with regards to cheating AI... my feeling is that the normal should be as hard as possible within the limits of fairness. but I think the Hard needs to be open season with cheats. I want to see AI suitable for playing agsint several human players at once... CoOp can be alot of fun as a multi-player mode, and normal zerohour AI just can't pull it off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#8 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

Danmit, i voted wrong! I saw "how it is" not "how it should change", so i voted:

Easy: Passafist easy
Normal: Much easier
Hard: A little harder

Should be:
Easy: Much harder
Normal: Much harder
Hard: Insane... As hard as scriptable

And then you should introduce a new money option in the menu, like 10,000,000. This is so we can play 1vs1 against a hard ai.

#9 Guy980

Guy980

title available

• Banned
  • 314 posts
  • Projects:Remix alpha testing, V/GO beta testing.
  •  Good

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

i love contra, but i barly get by as it is. Not to much more pwnage.
easy= little harder
medium=same
hard=little harder.

#10 Ubermedic

Ubermedic

Victims Of A Down

• Project Team
  • 1,221 posts
  • Projects:V|GO Beta Testing, Remix Alpha Testing, Learning Mapping in Hammer
  •  IT'S BUG FREE!

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:00 AM

I personally say
1.easy = passafict
2.normal = hard
3.hard = insane

so if you just want to kick ass play easy
if you want a challenge play hard.
V|GO Beta Testing Staff
Posted Image
The hand has five fingers. Capable and strong. Able to both create and destroy

#11 alpha86

alpha86

Vampire Queen

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

I'm cool with the normal and hard both being made much harder... but I have to ask, WHY make the easy harder?? sense there are people asking for easier and harder, wouldn't it make sense to try and apease both. If you need harder, set it to hard, if you need it easier, set it to easy... the whole purpose of varying dificulties is so they can be different.

with regards to cheating AI... my feeling is that the normal should be as hard as possible within the limits of fairness. but I think the Hard needs to be open season with cheats. I want to see AI suitable for playing agsint several human players at once... CoOp can be alot of fun as a multi-player mode, and normal zerohour AI just can't pull it off.

The thing with easy staying the way it is, is that with Contra 0.4, you can barely get to level 5 without completely crippling the enemy, at least that is the case in a 1vs1. Granted we are talking about the build for the remix AI, but if its based on contra 0.4, then it'll be the same?

With regards to AI cheating, I call it as fair play... the only thing i don't like about it is when they start building structures on top of each other. That's one thing that needs fixing if it hasn't been done already. Basically I think that the new "easy" should be what was considered/estimated to be part-way between medium and hard in the original zero-hour. "medium" should be about twice the difficulty of the original hard ZH, and hard should be really as you have already said- maxium difficulty as far as scipting goes, with cheating. After all it does need to be challenging :p

*~si aeraesar bastosi shai por eil vyri eindral syl sosti eil thasti ail si basti os aeraesar jhyli*~

Posted Image~*Sufletul ei nu poate să fie salvat. Ea este blestemată.*~Posted Image

Posted Image

~*ai jhyli o shor eir si volaer os tia shyjael caes, volaer mai mar, si tyr thor syl si ae os ei baedi*~

#12 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:55 PM

The thing with easy staying the way it is, is that with Contra 0.4, you can barely get to level 5 without completely crippling the enemy, at least that is the case in a 1vs1. Granted we are talking about the build for the remix AI, but if its based on contra 0.4, then it'll be the same?

Its not the same. Remix3 is very differnt from Contra. Its been very heavily altered and with the exception of some common units and buildings has completely differnt content, gameplay, and balance. And except of insperation the AI is being completely redone with no ties back to Contra. Expect everything about it to be very different.

With regards to AI cheating, I call it as fair play... the only thing i don't like about it is when they start building structures on top of each other. That's one thing that needs fixing if it hasn't been done already. Basically I think that the new "easy" should be what was considered/estimated to be part-way between medium and hard in the original zero-hour. "medium" should be about twice the difficulty of the original hard ZH, and hard should be really as you have already said- maxium difficulty as far as scipting goes, with cheating. After all it does need to be challenging :p

Building stacking isn't fixable at our level. Its a hard coded bug in the AI. Blame EA for that one.

Edited by Pendaelose, 22 June 2006 - 03:57 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

Pendaelose, i dont agree with you on your ai suggestions, easy should be made 2x harder... they are so shitty its no fun at all (unless youre trying out new units etc) they just send 2 crusaders or humvees at you two times in the match, then they send 1 raptor at a time for the remaining of the game, their defense is like 1-2 patriots... anyways, im sure the noobiest of all noobs would find that boring. Normal should be a bit more challenging than easy (since it will be boosted) , and hard should be insane.

sry for double post, since i didnt register yet, i cant edit my post but im sayin that easy should not be made easier but much harder.

Edited by Pendaelose, 22 June 2006 - 04:49 PM.

#14 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:55 PM

I think there is either something wrong with your install (wrong skermish.scb), or you are not refering to contra.04.

the only difference in AI settings in Contra.04 was the amount of money the AI was given.

An easy could match toe to toe with a hard in many cases.

Thus the reason I think it should be easier.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:29 AM

ah, ok, because i didnt really notice a difference between zh and contra in easy.. execpt for hard.. it was way harder.

#16 oops2005

oops2005
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

easy------ normal AI, no cheating
normal----- harder AI, no cheating
hard------- hardest AI, some cheating(money)

#17 Capt.Drake

Capt.Drake

Rangers Lead the Way

• Project Team
  • 1,851 posts
  • Projects:A new map for Remix Mod
  •  Remix Escalation Alpha Tester ,Camo Artist and part-time Mapper

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

I think Easy should be like it is, maybe a bit easier.
Medium should be quite hard, no cheating
Hard, insane, but not too much cheating, maybe money cheating, but nit that it's units are stronger or so!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

I think Easy should be like it is, maybe a bit easier.
Medium should be quite hard, no cheating
Hard, insane, but not too much cheating, maybe money cheating, but nit that it's units are stronger or so!

I think it should be like this:

Easy should hold back a little... it should be a relaxed fight for an expierenced player, and challenging for a N00B only. Anyone will familiar with the game should be able to whup up on an easy (thats why its called easy)

Normal should be as tough as posible but use minimal cheating, just enough to keep the AI stable and fighting. For example, AI doesn't understand money management... even when the build lists include costs it doesn't know how to prioritize, so to be capable of playing even an OK human it needs money cheats. the Normal AI should be what most player fight most of the time... a rewarding challenge suitable for a 1vs1 for vetern players. Not unbeatable, just challenging enough to break a small sweat and give a feeling of acomplishement after a long game.

Hard should use EVERYTHING to its advantage, cheats, bonuses, everything. the reason being, any fair match of "AI vs a GOOD human player" the AI will get its ass kicked... the AI is persistant, and ruthless, but it is not clever.. it is not smart. in any fair fight a good human player will kick the AI's ass just because the human is smarter. I want a Hard AI that can fight 2+ GOOD human players at one time... For this it has to be able to cheat.

the Hard AI in Remix3 is currently using these cheats:

EXP multiplyer
Starts at Tech3 (skips Escalation1-3 upgrades)
Endless money
Can purchas ALL general's powers for it's level.

I've play tested the AI extensivly with both single and multiplayer and am VERY happy with how it plays.

My honest recomendation for Contra, or for any mod would be to do the same. A fair, hard fight is fantastic.... for 1 player. 1 player can fight 2 or 3 fair fights at once if he's good enough. But if you have any plans for including multi-player capable AI then it has to cheat to keep up with the humans... and I'm OK with that.

Playing against the AI is not a competition with the AI, its a competition with yourself... and the only cheating is what you bring with you... The AI isn't a person and doesn't follow the same morals as a human, its a tool... and its a tool that YOU use, not me. I (the modder) don't cheat and beat you... I simply give you an AI capable of giving you the chalange you requested. My job is to give you that challange any way I can. I have to create an AI that is faced with the challenge of beating an oponent who is infinatly smarter, responds faster and more adaptive. the AI's enemy (you) can learn and adapt... it is only reasonable to give the AI its own unique set of tools to face such an unrealistic goal. If the AI had half the advantage that the human mind has we would surely be dead at the hands of our PCs by now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Striker26

Striker26
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

aww crap gonna need all my friends for this one.. :p

#20 PR 4 @LL!!!

PR 4 @LL!!!
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • Projects:HAving fun
  •  Nothings impossible!

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

if they have access to all that will they use all the promos at once or not, also the normal ZH hards are harder then ur ones ( no offence)

i think lets them ave all those cheats except stuff like less sw timers and faster build times that will take da mik abit.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users