4 replies to this topic

#1 Kokusho: The Evening Star

Kokusho: The Evening Star
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Projects:EAW/MTGO

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

Hi There.

I'd like to increase the number of fighters per squadron within the game.

As I understand, I would need to edit both the Squadrons.XML, and the SpaceUnitsFighters.XML files. Primarily the Squadrons.XML file.

I have attempted this and failed (game crash). I restored the original information and am ready to begin anew.

Here is the text for the B-wing within the Squadrons.XML file that I had assumed was primarily applicable:

<Squadron_Units>B-Wing, B-Wing, B-Wing</Squadron_Units>
<Squadron_Offsets>60.0,0.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>0.0,30.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>0.0,-30.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>

Please advise me on how I need to edit the information in order to have a squadron of 5 B-wings. I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI: The format you provide me will be used to edit the other squadrons in-game, as well.

PS. I do understand where to reflect the changed number of fighters per squadron within both files.

Edit by LoG: Removed all caps from topic title. Added [code=auto:0] BBCode.

Edited by Lord Of Gifts, 02 July 2006 - 09:31 AM.

MC-90 Defiance-class Mon Calamari Cruiser

Posted Image

#2 Lord Of Gifts

Lord Of Gifts

I'm not corrupt, I'm morally flexible.

• Hosted
  • 889 posts
  • Projects:Battle for the Galaxy, EaWZone, Spy Mod
  •  Ph34r the blue text!
  • Division:EaWZone
  • Job:Webmaster and Modding Community Leader

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

Welcome to the forums Kokusho. :)

<Squadron_Units> contains all the names of each unit that makes up your squad. So, 5 B-Wings would be:
<Squadron_Units>B-Wing, B-Wing, B-Wing, B-Wing, B-Wing</Squadron_Units>
I'm not entirely sure why some squads use multiple Squadron_Units lines, but I don't think it matters.

You need one <Squadron_Offsets> line for each unit in your squad. These lines determine the position of the units in the squad. The first line is the position of the first B-Wing, and so on... The numbers are in the order x, y,z. I find it helps to draw a graph when making a squadron. You'll have to play around with the actual values to make it look nice though. The norm is a scale of 15 on the Y axis, and 30 on the X.

For example, setting the Squadron_Offsets line to this:
<Squadron_Offsets>30.0,0.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>0.0,15.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>0.0,-15.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>-30.0,30.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>-30.0,-30.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
Would position your B-Wings where the x's are, with the coordinates beside them:
   x (-30,30)
		x (0,15)
			 x (30,0)
		x (0,-15)
   x (-30,30)

Hope this helps more than it confuses. :p

#3 Kokusho: The Evening Star

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

Welcome to the forums Kokusho. :)

<Squadron_Units> contains all the names of each unit that makes up your squad. So, 5 B-Wings would be:

<Squadron_Units>B-Wing, B-Wing, B-Wing, B-Wing, B-Wing</Squadron_Units>
I'm not entirely sure why some squads use multiple Squadron_Units lines, but I don't think it matters.

Thanks. Very helpful!

You need one <Squadron_Offsets> line for each unit in your squad. These lines determine the position of the units in the squad. The first line is the position of the first B-Wing, and so on... The numbers are in the order x, y,z. I find it helps to draw a graph when making a squadron. You'll have to play around with the actual values to make it look nice though. The norm is a scale of 15 on the Y axis, and 30 on the X.

For example, setting the Squadron_Offsets line to this:
<Squadron_Offsets>30.0,0.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>0.0,15.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>0.0,-15.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>-30.0,30.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>
<Squadron_Offsets>-30.0,-30.0,0.0</Squadron_Offsets>

Would position your B-Wings where the x's are, with the coordinates beside them:

x (-30,30)
		x (0,15)
			 x (30,0)
		x (0,-15)
   x (-30,30)

The graph is very helpful. Thanks very much!

Question: What do the 'coordinates' mean, exactly? (Example: What type of value is 30?)

Also, why are there 2 sets of values for each fighter position (Example: -30,30)?

Hope this helps more than it confuses. :p

I look forward to your response.

Posted Image

#4 Lord Of Gifts

Lord Of Gifts

I'm not corrupt, I'm morally flexible.

• Hosted
  • 889 posts
  • Projects:Battle for the Galaxy, EaWZone, Spy Mod
  •  Ph34r the blue text!
  • Division:EaWZone
  • Job:Webmaster and Modding Community Leader

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

Units. 30 units from the center. Thats how I think of it at least. It will only get confusing if you start giveing them actual units.

There are three values because the game needs to know where to 'plot' each unit, on the x, y, and z.

Posted Image
The first value in the <Squadron_Offsets> line refers to the numbers on the x-axis.
The second refers to the numbers on the y-axis.
The third refers to the z-axis, which is not shown on the graph.

The center of a squadron is at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0).

The higher on the x-axis you go, the more to the front that unit will be. Negative values will move it back. ie: A unit at (30.0, 0.0, 0.0) will be in front of a unit at (0.0, 0.0,0.0).

The higher on the y-axis, the more to the left that unit will be. Negative values move it right. ie: A unit at (0.0, 15.0, 0.0) will be to the left of a unit at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0).

The higher on the z-axis you go, the higher your unit will be. Negative values will be lower. ie: A unit at (0.0,0.0,30.0) would be above a unit at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

#5 Kokusho: The Evening Star

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:36 PM

Units. 30 units from the center. Thats how I think of it at least. It will only get confusing if you start giveing them actual units.

There are three values because the game needs to know where to 'plot' each unit, on the x, y, and z.

Posted Image
The first value in the <Squadron_Offsets> line refers to the numbers on the x-axis.
The second refers to the numbers on the y-axis.
The third refers to the z-axis, which is not shown on the graph.

The center of a squadron is at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0).

The higher on the x-axis you go, the more to the front that unit will be. Negative values will move it back. ie: A unit at (30.0, 0.0, 0.0) will be in front of a unit at (0.0, 0.0,0.0).

The higher on the y-axis, the more to the left that unit will be. Negative values move it right. ie: A unit at (0.0, 15.0, 0.0) will be to the left of a unit at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0).

The higher on the z-axis you go, the higher your unit will be. Negative values will be lower. ie: A unit at (0.0,0.0,30.0) would be above a unit at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

Thanks very much!

I am completely successful with this issue/task/project!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users