DemonWolf
  • Members
  • 159 posts
  • Projects:Audio/Video Work.
  •  Successful Troll

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:17 PM

Discuss. I find this quite concerning.

http://www.bloomberg...24ES0I6c&refer=
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory. -Gen. George S. Patton
Posted Image

#2 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:48 PM

I was actually relieved to know they are farther from a succesful ICBM than I had originally thought.At least thier T-2 failed in mid flight.

#3 DemonWolf

DemonWolf
  • Members
  • 159 posts
  •  Successful Troll

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:51 PM

There's also the possibility that they rigged it to fail to make us think they're further behind than we thought, however unlikely, that possibility can't be ignored. Just a thought.
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory. -Gen. George S. Patton
Posted Image

#4 C1E/\/\E/\/+

C1E/\/\E/\/+
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

It would have been better (for the North Koreans) if the missile succeeded and we were all scared sh*tless

#5 LeninT34

LeninT34
  • New Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

Damnit i was looking forward to it to.

#6 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

Good for the North Koreans....its about time a 3rd world country has some success :p

#7 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:13 AM

What's that smell is it another war perhaps or maybe an International Incident :p .
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#8 Pyth

Pyth

Zek Overlord and Pythogrian Supreme General

• Project Team
  • 1,594 posts
  • Projects:Project Aronas (Alpha/Beta Tester)
  •  Nefarious Minion

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:28 AM

NK has nukes.

US has nukes.

NK isn't stupid.

No war.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The moral of that story is do drugs?

#9 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:46 AM

NK is led by a veritable madman. Only madmen and people coming to terms with their newfound power would ever use nuclear weapons. The one deployment of nuclear weapons was by someone who had a definitive strategic advantage, and had the only functional nuclear program in the world. Since then, nearly every single leader to have nuclear weapons has been level headed. The Indians are quite competent and tend to elect very smart people, the Israelis would never, the Russians are too busy with their own internal affairs to consider intervening outside their country, the British have sane politicians, and the French are quite too isolationist to do much more than use it as a deterrent. China has been ruled by level headed people since the death of Mao Tse Tung, and the United States would never utilize nuclear weapons ever since signing numerous treaties all over the globe preventing us from using them in a first strike situation. Likewise, those treaties cover all proliferated countries, except for Pakistan, Israel, and India, and they wouldn't.
North Korea, as a country "not developing weapons", and not a signer of the NPT, is not bound by these conventions, and can legally start hurling nukes at Japan tomorrow, if of course she had them.
But you see? That's the danger. They're not bound by international law, and they've got a madman at the helm who literally has about 300 songs dedicated to him, praising him as "Great Leader" saving "Red Korea".
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#10 Pyth

Pyth

• Project Team
  • 1,594 posts
  •  Nefarious Minion

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:11 AM

If NK nukes someone, even Jong-Il would know he'd be UTTERLY GLASSED. Not that it'd be pretty, but this is not world ending.

It is, hgowever, many-lives ending.

Keep nukes away from NK.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:30 AM

It's not the retaliation that is granted. It's the primary target who fears the most. This isn't an RPG where I'll nuke you back. It's real life. One does not want to retaliate to increase ones stature.

We simply don't want to get nuked in the first place. MSpencer is correct in his assesment of mature nuclear powers.

#12 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:48 AM

If NK nukes someone, even Jong-Il would know he'd be UTTERLY GLASSED. Not that it'd be pretty, but this is not world ending.

Keep nukes away from NK.

Have you never learned anything? You can't just freely nuke people back... there are certain ramifications... real world ramifications. We can't just obliterate entire countries on a whim because they lobbed a few nuclear missiles around. Nuclear weapons are a terrible responsibility, and while retaliation is "guaranteed", it would just be the genocide of millions more.
Thankfully, there are people smarter than that in charge of the major nuclear powers.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#13 Pyth

Pyth

• Project Team
  • 1,594 posts
  •  Nefarious Minion

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:52 AM

Keep nukes away from NK.

Have you never learned anything? You can't just freely nuke people back... there are certain ramifications... real world ramifications. We can't just obliterate entire countries on a whim because they lobbed a few nuclear missiles around. Nuclear weapons are a terrible responsibility, and while retaliation is "guaranteed", it would just be the genocide of millions more.
Thankfully, there are people smarter than that in charge of the major nuclear powers.

IMO, nuclear action against a nuclear superpower is a good reason to nuke the agressor. And please do not flame me. END OF STORY. Eve mnif you're a mod, I don't thin kthat gives yo uthe right to flame me.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

I call out people who do not bother to learn about the world when I see them. Nuclear weapons are far more than implements of destruction. They are not even weapons... they are devices of slaughter. Imagine, something that took Himmler and his SS cronies over three years to do... something that could kill just as many people in fifteen minutes... They are truly the most devastating and horrifying weapons on the face of the planet, and to use them so indiscriminately as "Well nuke them back" will be the end of our world.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#15 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

Doesn't matter, N Korea's missile failed, and chances are they don't even have a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on an ICBM anyways. Somehow I doubt they'd ever manage to get anything operational without being hit with a preemptive strike.
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#16 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

Again, the ramifications Spencer mentioned come into force.

I personally don't believe even Jong-Il is that motherfuckin stupid. Though, that said, I saw a newsclip from the North Korean news bulletin about the event. All fully propagandised with lots of flowers and shit everywhere on the pictures...the general population probably don't know what a missile is.

Now, as you will read back through other threads, I abhor all nuclear weapons, and weapons in general. I don't believe that the US or anyone else has any more right to have them than anyone else.

I am more concerned about this pre-emptive strike you talked about than I am about Jong-Il hitting the button. I personally don't believe he is THAT stupid. NOBODY is, except someone with nothing whatsoever to lose. Jong-Il has too much to lose.

#17 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

hopefully china will get a grip and not help them out too much anymore.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#18 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

Nukes are there as a deterrent... if they nuke your country and have no intention of continuing a war and have no more nukes... why nuke them back? What's the point?
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#19 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:36 PM

I am more concerned about this pre-emptive strike you talked about than I am about Jong-Il hitting the button. I personally don't believe he is THAT stupid. NOBODY is, except someone with nothing whatsoever to lose. Jong-Il has too much to lose.

What's to be concerned about? Doubt N Korea could shoot down any aircraft let alone a stealth bomber, blow the missile before they've even managed to set it up. I also figure Mr. Jong-Il knows this as well, so I doubt it'll ever be much of a problem.
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#20 DemonWolf

DemonWolf
  • Members
  • 159 posts
  •  Successful Troll

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:27 AM

No, the problem with this is leverage. Jong-Il would have used this as a way to intimidate, to cause others to go to the lenghts of Neville Chamberlain. Appeasement. We give them what they want, they don't nuke anyone. They'd do this until they had whatever they wanted. Also, Jong-Il is not exactly what we call 'stable'. He doesn't care if his people starve or die, just as long as he lives a comortable life, like all good communist leaders. He has nothing to lose by using nukes.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users