Evolution and Science VERSUS Creationism and Religion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#41 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

I am For Science and Evolution, but not on EvoScience team. I still have some respect for the educational values from the religion, although I have no respect for blind faith.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#42 Pyth

Pyth

Zek Overlord and Pythogrian Supreme General

• Project Team
  • 1,594 posts
  • Projects:Project Aronas (Alpha/Beta Tester)
  •  Nefarious Minion

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

This deals directly with creation though. No other parts of religion.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The moral of that story is do drugs?

#43 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:08 PM

Stick me in for EvoSci.

Even though that will make it 5 to 2. Which sucks.

#44 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

There really isn't much to discuss I'm afraid. As no one in the argument believes in only creationism. It's really only people who only believe strictly in science or those who believe there is more to the story than we know and assume both ideas have some validity, so count me out on the creationism part.

I can't believe in JUST creationism. At the same time, I've never seen antimatter. I know some scientists have told us they know it exists. They have written great works on how it exists and they have created positrons. But us simple people they may as well be a priest on top of a temple telling me they spoke to God today and here is what he said.

Now I'm not suggesting science is doing this. I'm just making a well rounded point that all we know it what we are told. And if it's written by people who are creditable, than would should take it as fact.

Not much different than religion to be honest. For common people what's the difference between some clerics teaching us how the energies of spirituality work vs some scientists telling how the energies of quirks work.

To the common person it's all mumbo jumbo. But each is so deeply rooted in our being that it's very plausible that they are both right. Unfortunately they work in reverse.

Religion is the so called answer that needs to be defined how it works, science starts with how it works until it comes to an answer.

Use this for an example:

I am a great painter. I start by painting the whole canvas blue, than add the lower half as green. I've now seperated heaven from earth. I add more and more details here and there to define each portion of the painting. Each done in layers. I am religion.

Lets say I take one corner of the painting and paint every detail as I go completing each part before moving to the next part of the canvas. As I move farther from the corner my picture becomes much more complete and more complex. I am science.

But there is a good chance that in the end the picture is still painted. It's all a matter of your approach to the "how" and the "method" used.

Problem is in religion the picture is already painted and you have to peel it away layer by layer to find out the "how" and "why"

In science you have to paint the picture from scratch by looking at a finished picture already complete to figure out how the artist did it.

But either way we are looking at a complete picture which tells me there must have been an artist. The picture didn't paint itself. That's why I can't rule out intelligent design.

#45 Drewry

Drewry

title available

• Project Team
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

A debate like this will be like every other debate in the history of mankind over religion. One person believes very strongly, and the other person believes the complete opposite. You can try your whole life to pursuade someone to believe what you believe, but ultimately it is up to them - in every aspect - to make their own choice. If they reach that belief by any other means than through their own choice, it is wrong and should be corrected.

What would atheists have done to religion? Whiped off the face of the earth because it 'causes wars'? An extreme belief like that is wrong. You should not force others to believe how you wish to believe simply because you believe it so strongly. And just because religions have been forcing others to believe their religion for centuries does not make it right, for atheists to do the same is hypocrisy.

Why would you constantly attack something that only promotes love and peace and encourages the world to think and believe in something much more than this physical world?

An atheist friend of mine once said to me "the only thing religion accomplishes is hope, and hope is just another crutch." I replied "Does your brother not need a crutch to heal?"

Whatever you may think about religion, it has and always will be the same as long as humanity embraces its ideals. The faces of the gods may have differed but the central idea is the same. That there is something more than to this speck of life. That miracles can happen, and that there is someone out there that loves you and wants you to be happy.

Religion has helped so many people in this world, and for that I can only conclude to myself one thing. Life is so damn hard, why would I want to make it any harder? I do not know everything, and the more I know, the more I know that I do not know. There is always room for possibility even when all else says otherwise. If you have lived this long and not discovered that anything is possible, then I pity you.
Drewry H. Morris V - Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
www.druvianism.org

#46 Pyth

Pyth

• Project Team
  • 1,594 posts
  •  Nefarious Minion

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

A debate like this will be like every other debate in the history of mankind over religion. One person believes very strongly, and the other person believes the complete opposite. You can try your whole life to pursuade someone to believe what you believe, but ultimately it is up to them - in every aspect - to make their own choice. If they reach that belief by any other means than through their own choice, it is wrong and should be corrected.

So if they choose a lie, it's right? Huh?

What would atheists have done to religion? Whiped off the face of the earth because it 'causes wars'? An extreme belief like that is wrong. You should not force others to believe how you wish to believe simply because you believe it so strongly. And just because religions have been forcing others to believe their religion for centuries does not make it right, for atheists to do the same is hypocrisy.

I don't go knocking on doors to convert people. And if they do it to us, we can do it back.

Why would you constantly attack something that only promotes love and peace and encourages the world to think and believe in something much more than this physical world?

1. Because there's no proof. 2. It causes wars. Crusades?

An atheist friend of mine once said to me "the only thing religion accomplishes is hope, and hope is just another crutch." I replied "Does your brother not need a crutch to heal?"

Hope isn't bad. No, you do not need religio nto heal.

Whatever you may think about religion, it has and always will be the same as long as humanity embraces its ideals. The faces of the gods may have differed but the central idea is the same. That there is something more than to this speck of life. That miracles can happen, and that there is someone out there that loves you and wants you to be happy.

Of course someone wants you to be happy-- most people want a happy world. But an impossible, paradoxical god cannot exist.

Religion has helped so many people in this world, and for that I can only conclude to myself one thing. Life is so damn hard, why would I want to make it any harder? I do not know everything, and the more I know, the more I know that I do not know. There is always room for possibility even when all else says otherwise. If you have lived this long and not discovered that anything is possible, then I pity you.

Life's hard. Yes. So we believe lies? No. And by the "everything is possible and I pity you" logic, WTF? So it's so possible for a God to exist. Riiiight...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

Not every Christian goes knocking on peoples doors.

#48 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Not every atheist is without morals. They're long held beliefs which are persistent because of the actions of both sides, but the interesting thing is that I'm sure Christians have committed more atrocities than atheists.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#49 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Why do I get sinking sensation this is going to end badly?

Quoted for truth. :)

Incidentally, I will probably find myself agreeing with most everything Spencer says, but I know for a fact this thread is going to do a Krakatoa.

#50 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

Ah, yes it will.. I can't wait..

By the way, Science / Evolution for me. I can't grasp why people believe in religion..

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#51 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

I can. I also feel this thread may end badly.

#52 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

which is why it should have been based on a broader field like i suggested earlier. this is like making a car drive on water without adding anything to it first.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#53 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:58 PM

Fuck it, put me down for Religion and Creation, but not the actual team, don't expect me to post often as i randomly disappear and return to revora when i feel like it and also don't expect me to use many sources because my style of arguing is purely philosophy based as most of you know.

#54 Drewry

Drewry

title available

• Project Team
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:37 AM

I as well will join the religion/creationism side.
Drewry H. Morris V - Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
www.druvianism.org

#55 narcismo316

narcismo316

hater of all things unreasonable

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:50 AM

look we ,on both sides can post alot of shit to support either side of this AGE OLD ARGUEMENT. This inquisition was probably a bad idea from the word GO! Listen guys, each side can quote scientific facts from both sides until the end of the internet. We all know that. So i'm doing the right thing @ bowing out. I always tell people who disagree w/ me that i have enough friends, and i don't need any more.....but ....is that ever true?

look we ,on both sides can post alot of shit to support either side of this AGE OLD ARGUEMENT. This inquisition was probably a bad idea from the word GO! Listen guys, each side can quote scientific facts from both sides until the end of the internet. We all know that. So i'm doing the right thing @ bowing out. I always tell people who disagree w/ me that i have enough friends, and i don't need any more.....but ....is that ever true?

Hey HYBRID , nice gesture, but i think this forum should die quicker than the dinosaurs. Dont you?

I as well will join the religion/creationism side.

(i see the FAITH starting to pour in) BUT.....With the higest repect, i think we have 4 choices.
1) We should totally negate this forum...... because it's just macsochism.

2) We can say a)There is no God,science proves it, and your wrong and i:m right.
b)there is a God, science proves it, and your wrong and i'm right.

3) We can agree too fight over our beliefs until the end of time(in which we may as well be terrorists)

4) As grown men, we can look at everything we've seen and learned and say, " i'm a better and wiser person because of it , and I agree to disagree!"
Soo please just stop & think!!!
Thankyou.

Edited by narcismo316, 08 July 2006 - 04:45 AM.

#56 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:13 AM

I've merged nar's double post, Seems he needs to learn more on forum rules.

#57 narcismo316

narcismo316

hater of all things unreasonable

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:24 AM

whatever , .............you know you love me.

whatever , .............you know you love me.

I'm out of this one, Peace,...Love, & God bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#58 Pyth

Pyth

• Project Team
  • 1,594 posts
  •  Nefarious Minion

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:32 AM

WTF

At any rate, this is a forum for DEBATE. Drewry added to Creation.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:38 AM

can't we win by default? since ultimately, we will win. :)
Posted Image

#60 Pyth

Pyth

• Project Team
  • 1,594 posts
  •  Nefarious Minion

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:46 AM

No. We need to have a civi ldebate.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users