79 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

title available

• Project Team
  • 886 posts
  • Projects:Real Life

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:50 AM

You heard it, yesterday morning EA officially announced a future expansion pack for BfME II, acting as a prequel to the BfME series of games. Set a considerable time into the history of the Lord of the Rings universe, Rise of the Witch King (you guessed it) will follow the Witch King's ascent and the battles which ensued as he launched his assault from Angmar into the lands of Arnor.

This expansion has been greeted with mixed reception by the community, especially so soon after the release of the console release of BfME II, but we're promised a whole host of new units for existing factions, and of course an entire new faction representing the host of Angmar. We're looking at upgrades to the War of the Ring mode, previously and diligently left out of the console port, and some additions and iterations to the create-a-hero tool.

There has been no mention of any improvements to the poor Ai or other significant issues with the game, but we can only hope.

It's slated for release just before Christmas, so let's hope this doesn't get in the way of the release of the eagerly anticipated Command and Conquer 3.

Additional information can be found here and some more screenshots can be located here

On a T3A related note, I have taken Ched's previous role as admin, and I will be doing my best to maintain the site to its best possible standards.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

WOW one new faction alongside several other factions that don't fit in with the timeline? :umad:

Anyway, werewolves are from Sil and therefore EA is technically not allowed to use them and the screenshots look like nothing special
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#3 Joe

Joe

title available

• Project Team
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

EA better add in another good faction, for balance issues.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

Arnor is the obvious choice, but as EA doesn't seem to recognise balance issues we can't count on it
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#5 Joe

Joe

title available

• Project Team
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

Well, i would like to see men of the west split up, else nearly every good faction will fit under it. So it could be rohan?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

Rohan didn't exist at the time of the battles involving Angmar, but then again I doubt EA will know that
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Feanor

Feanor

Knight of Heaven

• Project Team
  • 582 posts
  • Projects:Valarian mod studios, Kingdom of heaven mod co-leader
  •  Modeller & skinner

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

I'm not getting it whats the point our own modded games a a mil times better than what EA could do :umad: or what they could be bothered to do lol

Edited by Feanor, 28 July 2006 - 12:09 PM.

'I can harness the very energy within the walls of this place, and bind them too me, I can turn the air in your lungs to fire, and you....you are nothing more than leaves in a storm, did you really think you could face me here and survive'

- Ammon Jerro, Court Warlock of Neverwinter, lord of Haven

#8 Joe

Joe

title available

• Project Team
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:46 PM

The only difference is, they have access to hardcode stuff, and exactly EA probably won't know rohan were not around then, i mean they put goblins spiders in the original game, so what next? hobbits riding wargs?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Feanor

Feanor

Knight of Heaven

• Project Team
  • 582 posts
  •  Modeller & skinner

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

hmm EA always put there foot in it :umad:

Edited by Feanor, 28 July 2006 - 02:04 PM.

'I can harness the very energy within the walls of this place, and bind them too me, I can turn the air in your lungs to fire, and you....you are nothing more than leaves in a storm, did you really think you could face me here and survive'

#10 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

I'm very happy that they are still supporting BFME with new releases, gives everyone a chance to mod some new stuff. Half the modders at T3A simply recycle and cannibalize models and animations anyways, now you will have more stuff to cannibalize from.

Stop whining about EA and start looking at what they are doing for us. I'd love to slap a bunch of you across the face and tell you wake up. Releases like this keep T3A ALIVE idiots.

If they didn't release anything new, we'd die a slow death at T3A. I fully support EA on anything they release that will keep us going and give us more things to mod.

#11 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

I agree with Hostile, if EA didn't MAKE BFME in the first place, I wouldn't known any of you guys...
And you wouldn't have too see my retarded posts and stuff like that.
Btw, the screen of the Witch-King... His awsome, although, he seems rather armored, for a wraith.. :umad:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#12 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

I like EA in the sense that they mada a great game, a great game to mod and map. However, I HATE them for murdering tolkien. So in a gaming sense, go EA! But as a Tolkien lover, I hate how they make lots of poor non book reading LOTR Movie fans get a totally non Tolienistic way of veiwing his work. I know, Im an idiot :blink:
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#13 Feanor

Feanor

Knight of Heaven

• Project Team
  • 582 posts
  •  Modeller & skinner

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:29 PM

still this will prolly be that last EA look at bfme at all so...........as hostile says a slow and horrible death :(

#14 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

still this will prolly be that last EA look at bfme at all so...........as hostile says a slow and horrible death :(

I dont really understand you here... do you mean that after this ea will not make another expansion or another game in the bfme series? if so then i disagree. Ea have probably made alot of money (maybe millions?) on the bfme series if they can continue to push the expansion packs and games why would they stop here? if they have the rights to the silmarillion, hobbit and other books what would stop them from making a rts game out of them?

#15 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

Guess what..

They don't have rights to Tolkien work outside of the The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#16 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

Where has this been said? Alot may of changed maybe they now have the rights to.

#17 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

They don't have the rights to the hobbits, hence they had to remove Drogoth from the Erebor mission

C.Tolkien would never EVER sell the rights to the Sil
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

But Drogoth is still ingame :blink:
Even if they dont have the rights now maybe they will get them in the future.

#19 Feanor

Feanor

Knight of Heaven

• Project Team
  • 582 posts
  •  Modeller & skinner

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

they could do kin strife, LA etc :blink:

#20 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

Zimoo, prove they had to remove Drogoth from Erebor? You're talking facts when I see no facts. Show me facts, and mathius, show me where you gained this knowledge that EA cannot use items from Sim?

Finally, Tolkien is dead people. It is now a business, Run by his aged son. It's not the Bible people, it's a book and a business transaction. Nothing more, nothing less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users