Skirmish file reader problem.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anduril Alex

Anduril Alex
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

Okay see my Skirmish in solo play will not work. You guys know all those 0x0000001,2,3,5 etc. well i get an error message saying that they tried to read 0x0000008 which doesnt exist.

Ive installed and reinstalled im gonna try again after removing all my skirmish games and see if it'll work.

But if anyone has any suggestions please feel free.

By the way Campaing works, but skirmish doesnt.

#2 Mullers_11

Mullers_11

Onlooker

• Project Team
  • 806 posts
  • Projects:Visions, The Four Ages
  •  Not active

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

Have you been switching mods frequently eg. - that have different factions. Because just deleting your skirmish profile might have done the trick.

Retired

#3 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts
  • Projects:Kings of the West Mod
  •  T3A Chamber Member - Retired

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

As Mullers said, that sounds like a problem in your Skirmish.ini file in "Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth Files". If you play a mod that adds a new faction in, then try to play the regular game or anyother mod that doesn't have that faction it will cause that error. All mods that add the Elves in are horrible with this.

You can either delete your Skirmish file which will solve the problem but lose your data or you can try to fix the file.

Here is a post I wrote about fixing that error and keeping your old skirmish data:

You will need to edit your "Skirmish.ini" file:

CODECurrentUserName = t_00e_00s_00t_00_20_001_00
UserNames = t_00e_00s_00t_00_20_001_00_2C_

Short Version: Replace your "CurrentUserName" code with the one I have here, the "t_00e..." one. And add the code in the "UserNames" part infront of your user names (the new code should end like this ..._2C_*YOUR USER NAME CODES HERE* and the codes should form one very long line with no spaces in it)

Long, explanation version:

CODECurrentUserName = t_00e_00s_00t_00_20_001_00
UserNames = t_00e_00s_00t_00_20_001_00_2C_00t_00e_00s_00t_00_20_002_00

I know that this code looks confusing, but it actually isn't that hard to read once you know how. None of the "00" are relevent (unless your name is 007 or something) so, if you read the "Current User name" part, but in your mind remove the "00" you'll get "t_e_s_t_20_1_00"... now ignore the "_" marks... "test 20 1 00"... now remove the "20" as it simply stands for a space mark... "test 1 00"... now remove the last "00" because the computer just adds it in to stay uniform... "test 1" and you have the profile name. Simple. So, to save the rest of your profiles but still be able to run the game all you need to do is add a new user and make that new user profile the "CurrentUserName" and you'll keep your old profiles and still be able to run the mod.

The reason why it works this way is that when you play as a new faction it records the faction name and number along with record...then when you open the skirmish menu it can load up the last played faction and show you your record with them. The problem arises when the last faction you played, say an Elven faction you added, doesn't exist in my mod...so the game doesn't know what to do and it decides to give you a game.dat error.

-GothmogtheOrc

Nine%20rings.jpg
Click on my Sig to go to my BFME Modding site where you can download my mods.
KotW%20Morgul%20In-game.jpg
Kings of the West Mod Leader
*Retired. PM me if you need to get a hold of me as I'll get an email notification and should reply within a day or so*

#4 Anduril Alex

Anduril Alex
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Thanks alot! I was using a mod that added 2 factions the elves and a modified type of mordor. I'll steer clear of them now though =P.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users