• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

Hi everyone,
maybe you've noticed so far the battle-scenes of B4ME II (and I :) ) are mostly pretty crappy...
When you send your troops into battle, the soldiers always slow down, stop and so it takes them a long time until the face and finally attack their enemy - and that makes the battle-scenes look very unrealistic :p
(in my opinion)
E.g. if you look at Rome-Total War - there your troops sort of "crash" into each other and they do NOT stop before fighting... I hope you've understood what I mean therewith...

So is there any way to make the battle-scenes look some more realistic and maybe to bring a whiff of RTW battles to B4ME ?? That would be really great coz it's such annoying...

Edited by Der Alte, 05 August 2006 - 12:00 PM.

#2 DaveHuxley

DaveHuxley
  • Project Team
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

u mean u ant the frotn line of each horde to go into the opposing horde, effectivly. Therefore the men at the back of the horde arent just standing around.

#3 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

Well... the soliers in the front line of each horde should knock (?) the enemy the first time even while they are still running so that you get a feeling of this sort of crush (or crash ?)... and for this "punch" they should get some extra damage so that some units are already dead in this first and heaviest phase of the battle...
as I said just look at RTW and you know what I mean :p

#4 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

I think you can change this type of thing by editing the contain Module in the hordes. Not sure, but it might have something to do with "Ranks to Release" or something like that. Just my guess :p
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#5 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:12 PM

you can edit the braking times in locomotor.ini, but i don't think your 'crushing' thing can be done
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#6 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

I think it could actually. You'd just allow each infantry unit to crush another, but make it so they slow down as soon as they crush an enemy, and they have to be moving near full speed to do it anyway
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#7 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

Think about the Dwarven Gaurdian's Crush Ability. ***HINT*** :p
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#8 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

I gave the soldiers a crusher level, that was no problem. But it does still not look good, because they just run over their enemies - but I want to give them an animation. The "RunAndFire" animation would be fine there - but how can I do that ? There is no "Crushing"-animationstate and I don't know well this stuff... :(
Can anyone help me with this problem ?

#9 Feanor

Feanor

Knight of Heaven

• Project Team
  • 582 posts
  • Projects:Valarian mod studios, Kingdom of heaven mod co-leader
  •  Modeller & skinner

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

I think you need a really good coder to help you with that :p
'I can harness the very energy within the walls of this place, and bind them too me, I can turn the air in your lungs to fire, and you....you are nothing more than leaves in a storm, did you really think you could face me here and survive'

- Ammon Jerro, Court Warlock of Neverwinter, lord of Haven

#10 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:03 PM

I think you need a really good coder to help you with that :p

What do you think why I'm asking HERE ? ;)

#11 Feanor

Feanor

Knight of Heaven

• Project Team
  • 582 posts
  • Projects:Valarian mod studios, Kingdom of heaven mod co-leader
  •  Modeller & skinner

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

lol yeah I'm just posting for no reason, basicaly what you want is for all the men to be fighting at the same time, for the hordes to actuly intertwine in combat..

hmm how would you do that, its not a crushing thing you want
you want them to run imbettween each other then start fighting...

it woud look pretty cool if you get it to work :p

bfme2is not like rome total war, theres nah chance of you getting it to work like it....

Edited by Feanor, 06 August 2006 - 05:25 PM.

'I can harness the very energy within the walls of this place, and bind them too me, I can turn the air in your lungs to fire, and you....you are nothing more than leaves in a storm, did you really think you could face me here and survive'

- Ammon Jerro, Court Warlock of Neverwinter, lord of Haven

#12 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

hmm how would you do that, its not a crushing thing you want
you want them to run imbettween each other then start fighting...

it woud look pretty cool if you get it to work :p

Actually what I wanted was exactly this crushing thing, but as I cant give them an animation for that it looks crappy...

But now I got them run inbettween each other and then start fighting (with some little tricks ;)), and with a few changes it looks pretty cool and makes the battle scenes looking much better - your units don't stand around and wait any more...

#13 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

how did you do it?
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#14 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

Ok, first you have to give your infantry units a crusherlevel like this:

CrushableLevel = 0
	CrusherLevel = 1
	MinCrushVelocityPercent = 75%
	CrushDecelerationPercent = 90

(al the values are just roughly, because I didn't test for very long...)
Then you give them a Crush-weapon which does NO damage (because they shouldn't do any damage, just run through the enemy lines)
Next you edit the CrushRevengeWeapons so that they don't affect any infantry units by adding this to their weapon codes:
   DamageScalar  = 0% NONE +INFANTRY

That would be already enough, but to make it look better you can decrease the braking-time and the turning-time in the locomotor.ini and maybe decrease the DELAY_BETWEEN_SHOTS delay of your units too.

It's actually no great difficulty, but it would take a long time to do it for all the infantry units...

#15 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

good work. it's much work but i might try it later on

#16 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

Not sure, but it might have something to do with "Ranks to Release" or something like that. Just my guess :p

Oh I forgot, you can try and do what he said, I didn't notice a big difference really but maybe it could still help ;)

#17 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

i've decreased horde sizes (but the population limit is unchanged), maybe you can try that?

#18 nOOb_CH!LI

nOOb_CH!LI
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

Im implementing this on my game, i love little details like this, more than lots of content what i truly enjoy about mods are things like this that change the way i "feel" the game.
Now i'll combine this with the blood mod yay!

#19 gansnudel

gansnudel
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Heh I might incorporate that in my mod as well. Sounds good.

Maybe you could give the crush weapon a very light knockback, so that a couple of crushed soldiers get knocked off their feet.

#20 Der Alte

Der Alte
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

You could indeed, but as you cant give them any animation for their crush-attack it looks crappy so it's better without any knockback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users