#1 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

I’m still working on the USAF planes but I’ve decided to just do all of them in one job lot now seeing as I’m on a roll so it might take a bit longer for the ingame pics. For now tho here is a preview of my favourite US plane the F-86 Sabre!

Posted Image

This particular vxl is based on a famous F-86 from the Korean War called Mike’s Bird, flown by Capt. Charles McSwain, squadron # FU-641.

PS: Andre I’m making a new uber cool P-47 for ya next :mellow:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

Nice :mellow:.

#3 Andre27

Andre27

Crazy Forum Cat

• Hosted
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

I’m still working on the USAF planes but I’ve decided to just do all of them in one job lot now seeing as I’m on a roll so it might take a bit longer for the ingame pics. For now tho here is a preview of my favourite US plane the F-86 Sabre!

Posted Image

This particular vxl is based on a famous F-86 from the Korean War called Mike’s Bird, flown by Capt. Charles McSwain, squadron # FU-641.

PS: Andre I’m making a new uber cool P-47 for ya next :p

The Jugg is quite simply my favorite :mellow:

You know, it's kind of odd. The Russians will get the Mig-15 which is build around a copy of a Rolls-Royce "Nene" engine, which they didn't get after WW2.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Andre 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.

Posted Image

- The mathemathical probability of God existing is 67% -

"We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

#4 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

Yer the Mig-15 is a strange one, it’s basically a copy of the German Fw-183 with a British engine :p Once I’m done with the US planes I’ll start on the USSR ones & the Mig-15 is at the top of my list, cant wait to get the Sabre & the Mig up against each other :mellow:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

But when did these planes actually appear? I mean, this is quite some time after WW2...I know you plan on going beyond 1945, but still, how much further?

#6 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

Both the F-86 & Mig-15 were first flown in 1947 & went into service the next year. The post-war section of D-day spans from 1945 too 1955, covering 10 years give me a lot of choices for some sides but others (especially France) took a while to recover after the war & didn’t produce there own equipment until the early 50’s so I need that long time frame so I can get units to fill all the categories etc. I try to stay within 1945-1950 tho where possible but some times I need to go right up to 1955 to find the units I need.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

I'd really like to know how you added those decals. If I'm not mistaken, I see anti-aliasing. Does this mean you used a feature like VXLSE's texturizer or was it still done by hand?

Godwin once told me a great place to get little decals for skins was from scans of stickers/heat-stickers meant for plastic models. If you didn't know that, it would be a good place to look.
Being a total douche.

#8 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

Yes I use the VXLSE skinning/texturing tool for large decals such as the nose art & the USAF text. I do know about the model stickers & I have used them before but it’s hard to find what you need a lot of the time. For this vxl tho I found a FlightSim model of Mike's Bird & used the skin from that for the nose art.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:09 AM

Nice Job! I like Saber very much, tho as a former rival :lol: ...
BTW,(sorry for off topic), anyone like to talk a little about Saber VS MiG15 and their performence in Korea? I've read some from the offical or famous websites of US, but feel a little confused. I just want some westen ppl's views.

PS: so far as I know, MiG15 is far more than a copy of the Fw-183 with a British engine. tho seems alike, the aviation functions are much different

#10 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

The F-86 & Mig-15 where pretty equal actually, it’s just that when they came up against each other over Korea the F-86’s where mainly being flown by WW2 ace pilots where as the North Korans weren’t experienced at all so they didn’t last long. Well TBH I’d go for the Mig-15 in a dogfight but the F-86 just looks so much cooler :p

Info on the Fw-183
http://www.luft46.com/fw/ta183-i.html

Oh BTW I should point out that the wings of the F-86 are a copy of a German design too, there from the Me-P1101 I think.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:00 AM

Thx a lot, Miggy ;)
Here is my view:
I personally think MiG15 is something between a fighter and a intercepter, while Saber has some more fighter-bomber protential. And neither Soviet nor Chinese nor N.Korea pilot were experienced as their opponents, in most cases. So with lower skilled pilot MiG15s caused some big threat to the bombers but didn't match Sabers in a dogfight.
But I'd go Saber in combat (tho MiG looks tougher IMO :rolleyes: ) coz the hit chance of .50*6 will be much better than 23mm*2 and 37mm, at least for an unexperienced one like me ^_^

Thx about that TA183 page. But there are still lots differences between MiG and TA. TA and Saber shared a "thin wing" while MiG still use an old style thick one; TA's rear fin is almost simplly for balance but MiG's is much more for vertical control; MiG has 2 pairs of "wind spliter" on the wing while Saber use a wing crevice but TA has nothing.
Sure MiG15 is influenced much by TA183 but call it a copy is unfair to the MiG Bureau, as well as unfair to North America.

If there is anything wrong plz tell me, thx again :lol: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users