34 replies to this topic

#1 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Neelahn sat on a treechunk, her face buried under her hands, tears running down her cheeks. Was it really only a few hours ago that she heard her father died? She couldn't remember. After having heard the news she fled into the woods. Usually they brought her calmth, safety. But not today. All she could think about was how her father would never be around anymore, never to see his face again and hear his voice. Now she was left all alone with her sisters and brothers. Ugh. Her mother died when she was born. All her life really the only person who had understood her was her father. What could she do? Do without him? She wiped away the tears and sniffed. Her poor father.. He hadn't even been that old. She couldn't believe she'd never see him again, but she knew the truth. More tears ran across her face, as she buried herself into thinking about all the things of her father that she'd miss.

After having sat there for more minutes, she dried her tears and folded her legs under her. She closed her eyes and tried to concentrate, getting rid of all thoughts reminding her of her father. She sat there for fifteen minutes, thinking of nothing but nature's sounds and her connection to nature. She heard the birds, their chirping in her ears. After those fiftheen minutes she felt somewhat more calm, peaceful, although she did feel a part of her had died. What was left worth living for in this place? Why was she here? She had loved the forest but somehow it has lots bits of its touch. Maybe I should leave, she thought. Yes, maybe I should. She got up and gave treechunk, upon which she had sat often, a last look. "Goodbye", she whispered. "Maybe I'll see you once again."

After those words she walked back to the village. In the meantime the evening had neared and it was getting slightly darker. At dawn I will leave, she thought. Before everyone's up. She rushed upto her house, a big, wooden house with leaves on its top. She walked inside and wanted to go to her room, to start packing. Her oldest sister stopped her in the living room. "And where do YOU think you came from?" she asked.
"I'm not a child anymore, I can go where I please. I was out, in the forest." Neelahn answered.
"Now daddy's gone, I'm the boss here. You will tell me where and when you go somewhere." her sister said.
"How can you say those things?! He's only passed for a day and already you seem to have completely forgotten about him. How can you say that?!" Neelahn said to her, after which she walked past her sister.
"He's dead, Neelahn. He's dead. The old git is finally dead"
"Don't talk about him like that, you.. you freak!" Neelahn yelled, and run to her room, in tears. Argh, how could her sister be so incensitive and uncaring..

Neelahn packed her stuff right away and decided she'd leave this evening. She couldn't stand being in this house much longer. She packed some neccesary things like food, money, her bow and arrows, her harp, some clothes. After she had packed, she put her pillow and some clothes under her sheets so it would seem she was sleeping. She went away as quietly as she could. When someone dared to approach she used her stealth ability. Swiftly she walked quite some distance, not knowing where she was going, but just letting nature guide her. When she was far enough and her feet hurted, she lay down on the forest ground, knowing the animals would not harm her in her sleep.

#2 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

The next morning she awoke with a start, noticing it was later than she'd wanted it to be. Quickly she gathered her stuff, took a chump of bread out of her bag and started walking. After having eaten the bread, she stopped at the nearest brooklet and had a bit of water to drink. The water in the Tel'Quessir Forest was pure and safe to drink, for elves. She continued walking, this time at a higher pace. During walking she looked around, enjoying the last views of the forest, which had been her home for as long as she lived. Somehow it seemed a bit meaningless now, but deep in her heart she felt that connection with nature wouldn't be ever broken. Suddenly she thought of her father and what he had taught her about nature. Tears flooded over her face but she wiped them away. She shaked away any thought reminding her of her father and tried not to think of him.

The day progressed and she continued walking, noticing there were less and less trees. For a sudden moment she thought she heard someone behind her, but when she turned around no one was there. She was aware of the fact elves could hide themselves in stealth, but she couldn't think of anyone crazy enough to follow her. She didn't expect her family to care, apart from the working hands that they'd miss. Nothing of her personally. She sighed, thinking back of them and of happier times. Again she shaked away those thoughts. Looking to the area up ahead, she noticed she was nearly out of the forest. The rest of Memoria. What would it look like, be like? She hoped she could find a friend, no matter their race. She looked up to the sky, now better visible due to lesser trees, and saw the sun was setting. She heard the moving of leaves again, but she doubted anyone was there. Maybe an animal. Animals seemed to be keen on her and she on them. She decided to spend one last night in the forest today. Not paying attention to any odd sound in the forest, she put down her stuff and crawled up, falling deeply asleep within moments.

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Anduriel had been making her way through the forest. Her gold-and-white silk robes flowing majestically in the wind, she had been painstakingly tending every wilting flower she'd seen, and then she had come up against the slumbering form of an elf.

Smiling meekly, she gently skirted around the clearing in which the elf was resting, careful to remain soundless. So intently was she looking on the elf to make sure she wasn't stirring that she had missed the twig that she'd stepped on.

*SNAP*

#4 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

"Ah..huh?" Suddenly Neelahn woke up. She opened her eyes and saw another elf, someone she didn't know and didn't recognise. She hoped it wasn't someone whom her big sister had sent to take her back home. Never there again.

But this elf didn't seem hostile, at least Neelahn didn't sense it. If she had wanted to take Neelahn back home, she would have done something already, would she not?

"H-hello," Neelahn said to her. With a hand she rubbed her eyes, then opened them again. She wanted to tell the elf her name, but figured it was better to wait for the other elf's intentions, so she kept silent. Instead she smiled.

#5 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

"It is a little early to be snoozing out in the woods, is it not?" Anduriel said in the Elf tongue, her dialect betraying her as being of high stature, even among Elves. It was easily understandable to the sleepyhead, but it was not a tongue anyone but the ordained would have used.

"I hope you've not been sleeping all morning. You're wasting the day!" She laughed. She woke up with the sunrise on the longest day of the year, and all through the year she was able to wake up at that very same time. She only slept as she had to, much preferring to be awake and do something productive.

#6 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

Neelahn recognised the dialect and wondered who this elf was. "I.. I wasn't supposed to sleep this long. I usually don't.. I just.. I suppose it's the recent events that may have led to my mind needing a longer rest." She said, trying her hardest not to think of what this recent event was. She took a breath and tried to put on a happy face. She realised she was hungry and looked for her bag. Out of it came a bit of bread. Neelahn knew she didn't have a lot of food, but felt it was unpolite not to offer the other elf something. "I don't have a lot but.. do you want half of this?" she asked and showed the elf the bread.

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

"I wouldn't dream of it," Anduriel smiled warmly, nodding her head as she serenely spoke the words. "I have eaten only recently. And it appears as if you need it more than I. I thank you for your generosity, though."

She sat down alongside Neelahn, gathering up the back of her robe to avoid sitting on it. Not that it mattered. She had a hundred of these robes, and it would wash.

She forgot about her sabre, though, and it stabbed into her back quite mercilessly.

"Aie," she yelped, "I should have remembered that. How foolish of me.
She reached her hand into a compartment on her back. It would have been difficult to point out if one didn't know what to look for.
From it she withdrew a saber, the whole thing not much longer than an arm. The thing was ornately carved and engraved along the blade in the Elven tongue.

She lay it down on the ground beside her, and rested up against the tree. Her delicate fingers never left the hilt. Indeed, it only left her side when she went to bed. And even then, it remained at the foot of the bed.

#8 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

Neelahn gave a nod and started to eat but stopped when she saw the other elf in pain. She asked "Are you allright? I know most elves have healing skills, but if it helps some I will heal you." She looked at the other elf in concern, she never liked to see others in pain.

#9 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

Anduriel laughed.
"Don't be silly. It just poked me in the back as I sat down. It didn't hurt much, and certainly there's no need for any Elven Magick. Besides, I could perform it myself. I am an Elf, too, you know."

#10 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

"I know, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't. I was only concerned. Sorry, I didn't mean anything mean with it." She paused for a moment and took a breath. Heh, the last thing she needed was feeling more bad. Don't think of him, she said to herself. She noticed she still had some bread in her hand and started eating it again. "I'm.. I'm Neelahn." Whether it was a good idea or not, she didn't know. But she could always run away, right? "Do you mind if I ask.. what do you do out here in these woods?" She asked the other elf, she had a bit of an unsure look on her face and she hoped the other wouldn't mind her asking.

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

"I am Anduriel Leiwann Alsar Narmatil, Princess of Tel'Quessir and Tal Silmataurea. But titles and ranks and power are really meaningless in the face of Mother Nature. I come here to remind myself of why power is given, not taken."
She looked up, her eyes wide and empty, lost in the swaying of the leaves above.
"All my life I have been nursemaided in the royal world. Said to be the fairest of the fair, and all manner of other nonsense. I do not mind being me, so long as I can spend time not being me. This is why I begged my father for months on end to become part of the Elrahim - to break tradition and to be something other than 'heir to the throne'. That is all I would otherwise be. 'Anduriel, next in line to be Queen', respected and known for nothing other than my lineage and my blood. I come out here because...I can get away from that. It is a place where I do not have to be called 'Highness', or bowed to, or have my every whim catered for. Here, I can relax. I can escape.
"I am sorry. This must all be pretty meaningless and silly. I do not mean to burden you with my troubles...troubles I must face in my own way.
"

#12 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Wow, so she was indeed royal. "Hey, it's allright," she said. "I understand, or at least partially. These woods are nice to get away from things." She gave a friendly smile. "Well now that you told, I suppose I should tell you my story as well. You see.. two days ago.. my.. my father died." She paused and wiped away a tear. "I.. I can't.. I can't be in the city any longer.. my sister's forgotten his loss and I don't have much worth here for to say. I'm here because.. because I was going away." More tears appeared. "I.. I'm sorry.. it just... hurts."

#13 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

"Do not apologise, dear one," Anduriel said softly, her eyes showing sadness for her new friend's plight, "we must mourn, or else we cannot come to terms with our loved ones' passing. It may not be of much comfort, but...your father has returned to the planet...and he will return in life anew. Such is the cycle...and though we as a race are poorer for his loss...the world as a whole gains new richness as he returns to it."

She knew this would probably be of little comfort whatsoever to Neelahn. Though it was true that neither could bear the burden of the other. Elves rarely knew death of their kin. Her own problems seemed fickle by such a tragedy. She elected to change the subject. To dwell on this one would cause yet more pain. She would find peace in her own time, and would tell Anduriel if and when, and only then, if she so desired.

"Pray, where exactly were you thinking of going? You surely cannot stay here all your days. Especially not with only those provisions. Did you have anywhere in mind? I may be of some aid."

#14 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

"I.. my mother died when I was young, I have no one anymore who even understands me a bit. Th-Thanks for your words." Neelahn wiped away her tears and took a breath. She waited and thought for a moment, before she answered Anduriel's question. "I.. I don't know yet, I don't know what exactly.. I mean I've never been outside this forest. I've heard of places but never seen them, I know their names but not exactly where they are. I was just going where fate took me, so to say. Would.. would you help me? That's very kind of you to offer." She gave Anduriel a smile, thankful for her words.

#15 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

"You are as well to come with me to the royal manor. From there we can set you on a path to wherever your heart takes you. The world is a big one, and more places than it would take a lifetime to explore. Indeed, the journey itself is as spellbinding as the destination.
"But enough of my blathering. We have a large map room in the manor, compiled by Elves who have scoured the land and spent their lives topographing the whole land. Those Elves and their maps will be able to speak better of those places than I. Come.
"

She picked herself up and sheathed the sabre back where it was hidden, before brushing herself down.
"It isn't far. Just a brisk stroll through the forest this way."

#16 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

"Thanks, I really appreciate this." Neelahn smiled. She stood up, got her stuff and started to walk in the direction Anduriel had pointed her in. "It's really kind of you to help me. You don't suppose.. the elves there won't send me back home, will they? My.. my sisters and brothers don't know.. well they've figured it out by now I suppose, but I mean.. no one will force me to go back and visit them, right? I don't want to live with them. They don't like me and only see me as some slave who can do some work. No one will send me back, right? Childhood has ended for me but if I were to see my eldest sister I know she'd try anything to get me back, only because she needs me to work my arse off. I don't think she cares about the me who I am. She barely knows me. I.. I'm glad I met you."

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

"I would not worry. My family will not send you anywhere you do not wish to go. You are Elf-kind too. You know the freedom you have as a subject of our realm. My father has no business interfering in personal lives of his subjects. Just as you always have been, you are free to come and go as you please."

It was a short stroll to the manor. Built as it was, it was not as grandiose as the palace, but it was still of substantial size. The architecture was built of wood, and yet had been carved in such a way as to produce spires and wide cone-shell spirals across the roof, and equally ornate patterns and murals carved into the walls themselves. The roof was completely adorned with creeping ivy, and the gardens themselves were magnificent, complete with a stream which ran through the manor grounds. As they approached, they could hear the crescendo of birdsong, and could smell the flowers they walked across.

The only hint of metal in sight was that of the gate, and even that was a shimmering platinum, trimmed with gold. The actual fence surrounding the estate was concealed by creeping plants, though one could see through the bars that made up the fence.

Two guards, their ornate armour glinting in the sun, stood guard by the gate. Their expressions were quizzical as Anduriel approached with a companion they did not recognise (especially one not dressed in appropriately opulent clothing), however Anduriel's curt nod of approval prompted them to open the gates without question.

""Stay close, Neelahn," the Princess said, deliberately making sure the guards could hear, "so long as the Elrahim see that you are with me, they will not bother you. They can be such a pain sometimes." She gave one of those playful irritated looks to one of the guardsmen, who responded with a smirk and a roll of the eyes, as if to say 'It's my job.'

#18 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

Relieved to hear no one would sent her back to her family, or what was left of it, Neelahn followed Anduriel. When they arrived at the manor, Neelahn looked at it in awe. Nice building. She loved the buildstyle of the Elves. Not that she'd ever known different, but she was rather keen on the style anyway. She admired the building, what must it be like to live there.. Though likely it may get boring after a while.

She noticed the guards and tried to not to be too much impressed. If only her father had had guards..

When she heard Anduriel's words, she made sure she stayed close. She followed Anduriel inside, curious as to what the manor would look like inside, and what would lay on the path of her journey.

#19 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

Through the great front doors of the manner was a whole room covered from floor to ceiling in fantastic murals. The floor depicted a great battle with over four thousand individual Elves, wearing a strange turqoise-coloured armour, charging at an army of black silhouettes. Whether the battle was real or not was anyone's guess, though the vibrant colours were incredible. The walls depicted the four seasons of Tel'Quassir. The north-facing wall showed it in winter, the trees lovingly drawn covered in a blanket of snow. In the whitness was contrasted the picture of two Elves sat beneath fur coats, embracing in the forest.
To the East was spring. The same two Elves were seen embracing, though they did not wear the fur coats. The first blossoming of the trees could be seen, and the flowers of the forest floor below. South showed summer, an incredible rush of every shade of green imaginable. And the same two Elves, in the same position as before, wearing even less garments than before; just think silk tunics. West showed autumn, a vibrant rainbow of oranges and reds and browns. And yes, the two Elves were still there, wearing a warm set of skins.
On the ceiling was a wonderful sunset sky.
The amount of detail was unreal. Every petal, every nuance of colour was used to its utmost. The only things that weren't muraled were the doors to other rooms (of which there were many), the stair way up to the landing, and the landing itself. And the windows; every one patterned glass, bathing the room in a sea of light.

"Come, this way to the maproom. The maps do not look as impressive as these murals, but they are infinitely more practical. It took ten artisans six years to paint all this. I am a patient soul, but even I would have to say that they had too much spare time."

#20 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

As they walked past the paintings Neelahn couldn't do much else than admire them. Took indeed a lot of time but what was it beautiful.. She wasn't sure which she liked most. They were all so very wonderfully painted. She could stay in this room and look at them for quite some time and not be bored, she had never seen anything like it in her life. She followed Anduriel and replied to her words. "Wow, that sure took some time but it's really beautiful." They proceeded to the map room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users