#1 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:43 AM

Name: Rais Borutz (rarely do people call him by his first name though, or even use it)
Race: Human

Personality: In todays world one would call him a eccentric. But in this world full of freak occurences simple peasants both admire and fear him. At least those that know him. He has a habit for "enhancing" his deeds in his stories. A lot of people who consider themselves more powerful and intelligent are extremely quick to underestimate him and his weird gadgets and contraptions, being completely unaware to the amount of raw damage he can deal by things who by this worlds logic are impossible. He can also cobble up pretty much anything provided he has an idea and a sufficient amount of metal, wood and sometimes coal.

Appearance: He is usually wearing a lightly grey and black robe fused together with metal in some parts. He wears a medium sized backpack on the back filled to the brim with various gadgets, potions and chemicals. Under the robe he wears a unique metal armour protecting his chest. Sometimes when he is without his robe this armour can be distinctly seen. He also has a rather distinct monocle on his left eye, capable of extending and providing sight at longer distances. His hair is greyish and moderately long.

Technology: (before someone complains: all of these have a weakness as you can see. And they are generally not very accurate. Also they are tedious in conservation, so it won't be easy for this guy.)
His backpack is a host to many different contraptions. These include:
- Steam bombs (emitting vast amounts of smoke, they are easy to produce and hence he has a lot of them.),
- Light bombs (phosporous bombs emitting vast amounts of light on detonation, may be lethal to vampires.),
- Miniature Greek fire throwers (in the form of a pistol, it doesn't emit a large flame, feeds off of a small tank placed on the pistol itself. Fire can be intimidating, but due to the nature of the Throwers these are a strict shock weapon. He has two of these, able to wield one of them in each hand. The oil runs out fairly quickly though.)
- Flying Bombs (somewhat similar to arrows, there is no launcher. ;) He has to ignite the fuse by hand then throw the arrow before the fuse reaches the tube and the arrow itself ignites. The problem is this also isn't accurate so it's more of a shock weapon if not used against large crowds.)
- A hand telescope (allows him to extend his view over a large distance, obviously)
- Custom crossbow (can shoot arrows long distance, and is equipped with a primitive scope.)
He also wears:
- Carapace armour (think plate armour but doesn't encumber movement that much, still - it's not indestructible or particularly protective for that matter. It only protects him on the chest and neck.)
- Custom boots (they look like normal boots with a sort of compressor on the sides. It allows him to jump from bigger heights than a normal human and not break his legs thanks to the suspension. "A bit higher" means about 15-20m.)
- Hand blades (large pads on the forearms once activated reveal a short slashing sword each.)

History: Borutz was born into a peasant living close to the big city of Maynor. Since childhood he was always hearing about various mages and sorcerors wielding all kinds of powers. There was even a mage initiate in his own village, in the form of a boy possesing an extraordinary power of controlling fire and an extraordinary arrogance to go with it. As young Borutz tried to conjure his own spells based on water, the mage boy often ridiculed him to the point as to interfere in Borutz' spells. Eventually Borutz called him to a match, but as he himself possesed a small amount of the raw power that his rival wielded, he quickly succumbed. Not disillusioned by this fact in the slightest he started using what nature has truly given him: brain power. Two months passed and Borutz once again called the self-confident initiate to a duel. But this time he won, as the opponent was completely unprepared against the young genius' tricks. After Borutz defeated him, the initiate left the village promising vengeance, meanwhile Borutz himself was regarded as the village hero. Years later he hasn't stopped cobbling together genius machines which helped his village grow considerably. Upon hitting his 30th birthday he has decided that he will leave his home and travel in the name of science and wisdom. After a while he adopted the moniker Borutz the Steammeister, each year growing closer and closer to becoming a true technomage. During his few years out he has fought quite a few foes, especially vampires and other nightly beasts. He has developed a set of unique weapons of terror against the very inventors of terror themselves. Currently he prowls without a clear goal, helping people here and there when it comes to "disposal of bad blood".

Edited by Blodo, 21 August 2006 - 01:47 PM.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#2 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

(OOC: It's not a matter of complaining, it's a matter of whether it fits into this world. I'll read it more closely in some hours, gotta go now. I'll edit my post).

#3 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  •  The wise guy

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

OOC: It fits to this world, because the technology isn't insane. It's all something men like Leonardo da Vinci always wanted to build, but they didn't. I don't think this world is set in a far off fantasy, more like medieval, right?

(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.

#4 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

(OOC: Yes that is partially right, but Ali could not have a rifle either. I do not want pistols or rifles. You can have the bombs, telescope and armour.

Your history is okay, just remember there are no real mages or sorcerors. Elves can use healing magic, but there is no such thing as black magic with fireballs etc.

Other than that, you are approved).

#5 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  •  The wise guy

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:56 AM

OOC: ;) There, my whole idea with advanced weaponry ruined even though it's inaccurate. I didn't want to think up any weird blade contraptions but ahh well.

BTW: What about the greek fire? :p

Edited by Blodo, 21 August 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#6 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:04 PM

(OOC: You can have the greek fire, but keep it balanced.)

#7 Elerium

Elerium

Road test? Me? But I gotta go save the world!

• Project Team
  • 631 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Temporal Agent

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

(OOC: I think that having pistols and rifles are good, as long as you keep them in a musket style. You don't want too many people running around with them although this could depend on cultural tastes. Humans for example have Musketeers, Musketmen, Dragoons perhaps, while Dwarves prefer big muskets in most RPG's and fantasy. Orcs, Elves and Undead simply do not use them, preferring different things although if some effort was made they could use weapons like this.

I like the Vinci style that Blodo is doing, if he was to become famous for example, Borutz could develop airships and stuff like that :cool: Things like this give good atmosphere to the game.)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

(OOC: Well, that's not how I thought it up. I don't want massive wars. Guns are not a very fair thing.)

#9 crave22

crave22

sup dawg

• Project Team
  • 4,295 posts
  • Projects:Feeding Myself to a Koala
  •  Retired RPG Guild Staff

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

((OOC: Well, they do balance out in the olden days. Slow rate of fire, heavily inaccurate, not quite as powerful as their more modern counterparts, unreliable, and they require a large amount of maitenence. Hence why, during the early gunpowder ages, many people stuck with crossbows and melee weaponry due to their tried and true reliability.

However, instead of musketeers it will probably arquebusiers, seeing as the arquebus was the early firearm used in the 15th-17th centuries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus

Your RPG, of course. ;) I'm just trying to help out. If I get around to it, I may be registering later, but so far it's very good.

@Blodo
I love how much that reminds me of Rise of Legends. :cool: ))
Posted Image

#10 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  •  The wise guy

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

@ Crave: I wasn't inspired by Rise of Legends though. I just love the steamworks and clockwork technology theme :cool:
@ Elerium: No steamworks inventor would be complete without an airship ;)

Anyways my gunpowder weapons would be just like Crave described. They may be powerful but they were all basically one shot, require much maitenance and aren't infallible. Also only the long barreled rifle was kind of accurate, but after one shot the reloading would be a tedious and long process. The pistols wouldn't have a chance of hitting anything beyond some 70-80 meters but were similar to revolvers. Revolvers aren't self-repeating just for the record. After the six pellets were gone, the process of reloading starts. Basically it wasn't anything like the modern firearm, just a rather innovative method of delivering damage at long range. As most of the weapons in my chars arsenal, they would serve shock rather than firepower. Sometimes a show of force is enough to win.

Edited by Blodo, 21 August 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#11 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:09 PM

I understand that, but I personally don't feel guns belong in the universe I created. It adds too much of a warlike theme and not exploring, hmm if you get what I mean. Maybe someday I'll create an RP where they do fit it.

#12 Pastinator

Pastinator

Wild(With An M)

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Projects:Apocalypse-Zombie RP in the RPG Guild

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:33 PM

I just love the steamworks and clockwork technology theme :p

Steampunk for the win!(btw i'm thinking of making an arcanum inspired magic vs technology game, if your interested please say!
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Join the Campaign for Insanity! Don't Put This in Your Sig to Show your Support!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users