#1 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

It’s taking me a lot longer then I thought it would to finish the USAF vxls but that’s mainly because I started a part time job recently so my modding time has been cut in half. Seeing as it may take a few more weeks to finish the other half of them I thought I’d post what I have so far.

Lockheed P-38 Lightning
Posted Image

Bell P-39 Airacobra
Posted Image

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
Posted Image

North American P-51 Mustang (normals fix)
Posted Image

North American F-86 Sabre
Posted Image

Douglas AD-6 Skyraider
Posted Image

Boeing B-17 Flyingfortress
Posted Image

Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Posted Image

Convair B-36 Peacemaker
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

holy shit!
that b-36 is damn big =)
really good job
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#3 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

Very nice. Please tell me that things not buildable :shiftee:

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#4 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

Airstrike superweapon, IIRC.

Looks awesome tho! :shiftee:

#5 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

Yes the B-36 is called from off screen with a superweapon, the same as the B-17 & B-29.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Gaffel

Gaffel

title available

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  <-_->

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

nice planes, i like Convair B-36 Peacemaker most of them all :shiftee:

this is wrong topic but are you gonna make new explosions? or maybie a new nuke explosion

#7 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

I’m already using some edited explosions & also ones converted from TD & TS. As for the nuke tho I’m just using a larger version of the normal RA2 one.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 KingBase

KingBase
  • New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:51 AM

I’m already using some edited explosions & also ones converted from TD & TS. As for the nuke tho I’m just using a larger version of the normal RA2 one.

wow, so its gonna be a pritty big plane dropping a pritty big bomb ;)

#9 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

The B-17 and B-29 seem to have minor propeller issues on their right sides, but that's probably from the crudeness of the medium ingame.

Very nicely done though, overall, especially on the B-36. It's just massively awesome.

Edited by Rattuskid, 27 August 2006 - 05:01 PM.

Being a total douche.

#10 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

The propellers where a nightmare on them two, I spent days trying to get them to display properly but that was the best I could do in the end :/

You lot might be interested to know that I actually made the B-36 over a year ago & it’s gone though several makeovers too get it to that (still not 100% happy with it tho)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Ace

Ace
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:18 AM

I like em all cept the P39 doesn't look right, I thought the engine was a little farther out and a little bump up behind the cockpit , but otherwise it's awesome stuf :ninja:

#12 wilmet

wilmet

muscles from brussels ?

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

wow :) my 88s are going to be busy :ninja:
and thats only half ?

(good luck with the job BTW)
apologising to the world on behalf of my country for the existence of Brussel sprouts and Jean Claude Vandame

"I'm not retreating, I'm just fighting in another direction" (anonymous US corporal, Korea)

work is sacred...so don't go near it.

#13 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

Great works, Migy! I have to say it again! :ninja:

And also, will you make the super looooong range P-51 some special ability to longer their maintaining time over enemy territory (like selfhealing) or simplly make it a good fighter?
hope it more than another common good fighter :)

#14 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

The order the sections are displayed is determined by the vxls size (biggest gets shown on top etc) & also where it’s positioned relative to the other sections. For example the propellers on the planes are only x3-y8-z8 (something like that) in size but the actual prop vxl is 50-100-100 & the plane it’s self being 80-100-25. With the propeller being larger the game displays it in front of the plane, of course positing is just as important too. Positing propellers is easy as you just sick it in front or behind of the plane, if you doing a mech tho that would could be trouble as you have lots of sections overlapping each other. For that just make the body the largest part & get smaller as you go down.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:26 AM

I've found the order you place the voxel sections in during creation only makes a difference if they lack differing offsets, so that's kinda obselete.

The way the game views voxels (as far as I understand) is a medium to convert to 2d, not a medium to display as 3d model in an isometric game. That's to say it has very simply and non-dynamic ways of having positioning... it simply draws each flat 'layer' over another in preset orders.

For tanks, it goes turret-barrel-chassis when the cannons are facing anything more north than south, and barrel-turret-chassis for any facing more south then north. Play with the apoc pointing it's gun to the side, and you can clearly see the transition. I don't know about rocking-weapons or sinking ships though, so it may display some bits dynamically.

aircraft though, rely on the offsets, but here's the catch... the game views everything about voxels as converted sprites under normal conditions. So it really fucks up on the negative space. Now, you don't notice this when you have the nighthawk or even MMK2, because the bits are either perfectly centered laterally or well blocked by the bulk on the other side.

Mig's B-29, though, lacks these advantages so the farther propellers are told by the game engine that they are within the larger voxel's space, even though it's empty, where as the nearer ones are too, but they are taking centerstage, so they get drawn in front, while the other's get drawn behind. I don't know if this is determined by center or bounding box. I'd guess center since the p-38 is perfectly fine.

This is assuming my ponders are correct though, and the easiest method to check would be to make the plane 'body' into two sections; everything behind and everything in from of the propellers, cutting the fuselage apart and pasting it back together in HVA builder or whatnot. That might fix the issue, but would be a pain.

(I could give diagrams, but none of this explains the little rotating remap thing on the spyplane, unless everything but lateral non-centering works just like you'd expect it to)

Edited by Rattuskid, 30 August 2006 - 07:34 AM.

Being a total douche.

#16 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

Both of the P-38’s propellers are in one vxl section BTW that’s why the one on the far side is displayed properly. I guess I could fix the B-17 by doing the same & have all four props in one vxl but that wouldn’t work for the B-29 tho as it has four blades that are rotated by 45o to animate them, the B-17 having three that are rotated by 180o.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

Well, that solution seems a bit drastic, but it may prove it's based upon voxel centers....

Actually, instead of ruining any good propellor animations, at least try my method first.

Posted Image

The blue and orange bits would be seperate sections, barely touching or overalapping via HVA builder placement.

The rotors all would be more 'forward' than the new blue sections center, so they would render infront of it when the unit is facing south, or behind it when north (AKA looking normal).

The orange section would always be more forward than the blades, blocking them out when facing south, and being draw under then when facing north.

It may just fix the issue for good.

(only difference would be the peacemaker, where the tail would be the detached section)

Edited by Rattuskid, 30 August 2006 - 07:29 PM.

Being a total douche.

#18 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

I’ve actually already tried that on several vxls before & it didn’t make it any better, it just made things more complex & also messed up the units shadow :/

As for fixing the B-29 I forgot that I can just make all four props in one vxl & flip the whole thing 180o as long as their asymmetric.

PS: All of the B-36's props are displayed properly & doesn't need any fixing

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users