11 replies to this topic

#1 Helge129

Helge129

title available

• Project Team
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

I have got a problem with my mod.

I want to make a construction yard which can be converted into a mobile construction vehicle (correct name???)
But the problem is that i automaticaly gets packet,but this inst corect,it shouldt auto-pack.

The other problem is that i want to make a limited construction radius,but i dont know how-.-

fhvfBYy.jpg

#2 stack111

stack111

born with rags, on the road to riches

• Hosted
  • 464 posts
  • Projects:Zero Hour Mod Conquer or Die

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:12 PM

i think your talking abut red alert or tiberian sun not generals
Posted Image
"The great questions of the day will not be decided by speeches and resolutions but by blood and iron" Otto Von Bismarck

#3 Slye_Fox

Slye_Fox

ConRed Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 1,357 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion, CnC: Condition Red, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn
  •  The fluffy fox of Revora.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

i think your talking abut red alert or tiberian sun not generals

He is not talking about TD/RA1/TS/RA2.

Okay, i can't help you on the ConYard bit.

But on the MCV, i can.

Here's what you do:

Don't do it.

MCVs have 3 un fixable bugs;
1. They can deploy anywher(i mean anywhere, even on cliffs)
2. They do not clear trees.
3. there is a pathfinding error, units will drive through it as though it wasn't there.

#4 Helge129

Helge129

title available

• Project Team
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

I am talking about generals,i am making a old-school-construction sistem for my cnc-generals mod

fhvfBYy.jpg

#5 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:25 AM

You can use the GLA fake structure becomging real structure method, or the sneak attack tunnel network start method (kills itself, CreateObjectDie with inherit health, so if the MCV was damaged, resulting conyard is also damaged), of changing one object into another, so the MCV and become a conyard and vice versa, that is the easy bit.

As for constructing in a limited radius, the only way i can think of to do that is to have the con yard fire a weapon with a projectile that creates the building when it detonates, problem is this won't cost any money.

Another way is to have the buildings spawn at fixed positions by using OCL called by ObjectCreationUpgrade, as upgrades can cost money, but then the buildings can only spawn at fixed locations relative to the conyard. Another poblem with any method that uses upgrades to make buildings is the limited number of upgrades you can have in upgrade.ini (255 or something like that if i am not wrong). You will run out of upgrades before you can make all the buildings for all the factions.

All in all it is an impossible job. See also:

http://www.deezire.n...d-generals.html

Edited by beng, 25 June 2008 - 03:47 AM.

#6 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

This may be of interest to you:

While you cannot reproduce Dune 2 con yard building - where the con yard builds structures, you can make an MCV that can build any structure (actually, that is what a Dozer in Generals is).

To approximate the Dune2 or later Westwood RTS games Con yard functionalty where it can only become 1 structure, make the vehicle die after building 1 building. Still, this is different as the Westwood RTS MCVs do not become different building types but only the con yard, and the con yard builds the other buildings.

Here is an example map.ini and test map for generals (not ZH) that does this:
http://www.cncmaps.c...?showtopic=3308
It also shows how you can build structures anywhere, not just on flat ground, because the MCV can build wherever it is, so if you give it the right locomotors, it can build structures in water, in the air, on cliffs etc.

#7 Slye_Fox

Slye_Fox

ConRed Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:18 AM

sorry, buy you are WRONG!

it IS possable to have a ConYard building system in gens and HAS been implamented to an extent.

The most apropriate way to describe this meathod is the KKND Krossfire build system;

select object, it place object, it builds, then becomes active. kind of like the gens dozer system, but with a CnC build radius.

#8 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:55 AM

What is KKND and how is that done?

The only way i can think of is using the GLA sneak attack method but that has no limit to the distance. You can build things anywhere on the map using that.

#9 Slye_Fox

Slye_Fox

ConRed Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

KKND (sort for Krush Kill and Destroy) is an awsome RTS game, look it up.

The conyard is a dozer that sends out a status giveing weapon, the building you build are just site checkers, they die allmost emidiately.

if the building has the status, it OCL's the build up structure, if not, it OCL's a refund box.

the build up structure is purly for show, it's life time is the same as the build time of that structure and plays a build up anim.

when that dies, it OCL's the propper structue

#10 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:08 AM

That sounds like an ingenious method, i shall go and see if i can reproduce it.

So the status weapon's radius limits the area in which you can build. Very good.

#11 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

Here is a test map with a map.ini that implements what i think is the status weapon method you mentioned.

It skips the build up structure by having the structure that you place do the build up anims as it dies, if it dies with the right status.

Also, the refund crates are picked up by a temporary object (a cheering worker).

The status weapon method applies to the tunnel network, stinger site, and demo trap in this map.ini.

I left the other buildings to be built the normal dozer way, and they can be built by the con yard, but not as far away from it as the ones using the status weapon method. I made particle systems to cue the player where he can build.

The outer circle is the radius of the status weapon.

The inner circle is the area in which you can build buildings that do not use the status weapon method. The centre of the building must be inside the circle.

The con yard can transform into an MCV and vice versa, and the MCV/Con yard inherit damage, so if the old object was damaged, the transformed into one will be also damaged the same amount.

Attached Files

Edited by beng, 02 July 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#12 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

Here is a single player ZH mission that uses this method of building, so you can see how suitable it is for Generals.

Don't run it with any mods as it uses a map.ini to mod units, and it needs ZH version 1.04.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users