AWD moderator

• Project Team
  • 534 posts
  • Projects:AWD projects
  •  AWD Development Team
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Public Relations Director

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:45 AM

Steve Irwin aka the crocodile hunter, was killed by a stingray barb through the chest on Monday while diving off the country's northeast coast. Witnesses and emergency officials said the freak accident happened while Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas in northern Queensland. A helicopter rushed paramedics to nearby Low Isles where Irwin was taken for treatment, but he was dead before they arrived, police said.

I think it's a shame that something like that should happen. Especially like this.
Posted Image

#2 Lynx

Lynx

Skyrockets in Flight

• Project Team
  • 844 posts
  • Projects:Aurora: Great Crusade
  •  Afternoon Delight

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:36 AM

Heard bout this earlier today. Sure hes a nice guy n all but if he wasnt asking for it...
Rays are placid as, poisonous for when theyre provoked but when left alone: placid. To get a reaction like that youve got to stand on it, which, shows you he was doing what he was renowned for. Jumping on shit. Its the equivalant of a fat kid hitting a bee hive with a stick.

Like I said, he was a nice guy, did a lot for conservation and generally a stand up bloke. Just could have done the conservation part the way Attenborough does.
May he rest in peace, he will be missed.
Posted Image

#3 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

Its a shame this happened, i wouldn't wish this upon him. However he pushed his luck with nature a bit too much, and it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Posted Image

#4 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:03 AM

This is a sad day for the field of 'human awesomeness'. I suppose his luck was going to run out sooner or later, but it's still a bang-up shame.

#5 Mullers_11

Mullers_11

Onlooker

• Project Team
  • 806 posts
  • Projects:Visions, The Four Ages
  •  Not active

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:33 AM

I'm surprised he was killed by a stingray barb. All his work with crocodiles an'all, I thoguht it was bound to happen with one of them. Ahh well, bound to happen sooner or later however. RIP Steve Irwin.

Edited by Mullers_11, 04 September 2006 - 09:34 AM.

Retired

#6 Jsmooth13

Jsmooth13

title available

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:52 AM

You realize he didn't provoke the stingray right? The camera man in front of it plus Steve swiming above it made it feel boxed in and that's why it attacked. Steve doesb't sit there and jump on shit.

RIP Steve.

#7 Cobra

Cobra

The Renegade

• Banned
  • 1,048 posts
  • Projects:Quite a Few
  •  Resident Kiwi

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:04 AM

Something you guys need to realize is that the reason he was filming and underwater documentery here was because he was starting to expand to more things other than just reptiles.

Lets face it the guys been handling crocodiles since he was 9 years old. If anyone knew what they were doing with crocodiles and aligators etc. it was him.

I think this is one of the most tragic deaths in a long time. There was seriously no one like him. Some people will think hes crazy but their entitled to their opinion.

I say "R.I.P" steve, you will be sorely missed. Personally though, i cant imagine him growing old and "calming down". He was 44 years old and still more active than most teenagers.

Farewell steve, you shall be missed

Dmain | I-Cold | earthWhois
Dmain Now offers .mobi extensions....why? Because we can :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Update: EAW Galaxy is almost ready for launch. We're currently in need of forum staff and content writers for the main site. Please PM or Email me ASAP.

BFME Fans if you think you have what it takes, bfmeworld.com would love to be built. I have neither the time, nor the motivation any longer...

#8 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:31 AM

http://forums.revora...showtopic=38962

#9 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

I've never watched him or heard of him before. But it's a pitty that it happened.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users