59 replies to this topic

#1 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

There is a recent coup in my country (Thailand). The media has been taken over. CNN and BBC were shut off from ordinary people. Military is in control of the capital of Bangkok (which is also where I live). The constitution is discarded. Many government parts (council, constitution court etc...) were discarded as well. I'm not sure whether the net will be cut or not, but please give me some news. And if possible, is there any help?
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#2 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

As far as i'm aware it's an attempted coup. From the BBC:

A faction of the Thai military led by the army chief says it has overthrown Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Tanks surrounded the prime minister's offices and soldiers took them over, though it seems no shots were fired.

After announcing they had suspended parliament and the constitution, coup leaders went to meet the king.

A spokesman for Mr Thaksin, who is at the UN in New York, insisted the coup "could not succeed", and that the government was still in control.

HAVE YOUR SAY
The coup is so widely expected and I believe that this is for the best for Thailand
Darunee, Bangkok

Send us your comments

The spokesman said it had not been decided when the prime minister would return home from the UN.

However, in a broadcast on all Thai television channels the leadership of the armed forces said it had taken control of Bangkok, suspended the constitution and parliament, declared nationwide martial law and ordered all troops to return to their bases.

"We ask for the co-operation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience," the announcement said.

Retired Lieutenant-General Prapart Sakuntanak said the seizure would be temporary and power "returned to the people" soon.

Thailand map

Declaring themselves the "Council of Political Reform", the rebels said they were led by sacked military commander General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and declared loyalty to the king.

However, the BBC's Kate McGeown in Bangkok says King Bhumibol is held in high esteem by all Thais, and the declaration of loyalty does not necessarily imply that he backs the takeover attempt.

Our correspondent says low-level rumours of a possible coup have been circulating for weeks.

There has been pressure growing on the prime minister to resign, including from groups close to King Bhumibol, following a political impasse in which April's general election was declared invalid, says the BBC's correspondent Jonathan Head in Bangkok.

But it had been thought that Thailand was making progress towards holding another election later in the year, our correspondent says.

Political impasse

Witnesses said several hundred troops were posted at key points around Bangkok, including at government installations and major intersections.

Troops and guys dressed in Swat-style gear are strolling around
Russell Miles, Bangkok

Witnesses describe turmoil
Britons in Bangkok warned

BBC World, CNN and other international news channels were taken off the air, and Thai stations played out images of the royal family and patriotic songs.

Russell Miles emailed the BBC News website to say there were troops "dressed in Swat-style gear strolling around" near Government House, and "a tense, but fairly controlled atmosphere".

He said: "We saw a group of blokes bundling a cameraman and another chap into a van. We are taking photos, but not out in the open."

At the United Nations, where the annual General Assembly is under way, it was announced that the agenda had been changed to allow Mr Thaksin to address it in the coming hours.
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#3 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

I've just begun dredging up information:

The PM has declared a state of emergency.
The Defense Minister and Deputy Prime Minister have been placed under arrest by the military, and a Lt Gen Sondhi Boonyaratkalin is in charge.
Apparently the BBC is stating that the leader of the coup will meet with the king tonight to propose an interim government.
Everything else is up in the air. The UN will probably convene an emergency meeting of the security council by tomorrow.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#4 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

I hope UN do something quickly. This has become a tough night here. And by the way, thanks for the news.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#5 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Hopefully. Good luck and stay out of trouble if anything does kick off - I wouldn't blow my nose to save either of them.
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#6 Pastinator

Pastinator

Wild(With An M)

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Projects:Apocalypse-Zombie RP in the RPG Guild

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

Woah dude, take care of your self, i can't tell you anything more tahn the bbc news ( http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/5361512.stm ) but i can say that i hope your alright and that this all blow's over.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Join the Campaign for Insanity! Don't Put This in Your Sig to Show your Support!

#7 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

I'm worrying about my dad. He's out there somewhere.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#8 Pastinator

Pastinator

Wild(With An M)

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

Dude, don't worry, it says that so far no shot's have been fired, he's most probally fine, it seem's that people are negotiatiing this one from what i cna make out.
Join the Campaign for Insanity! Don't Put This in Your Sig to Show your Support!

#9 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

He is working for the government, on the opposite side to the coup. That's why I'm so concerned.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#10 Pastinator

Pastinator

Wild(With An M)

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

O, but that still doesn't change anything, they havn't fired any shot's at all, he's most probally fine atm and the UN are stepping in to stop much fighting i think so he probally wil be fine aswell

#11 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:16 PM

I hope so.....
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#12 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

well if he's not a big fish he'll probably not be bothered about. although there is a chance that people working for the government would be detained for a while, perhaps a few hours, or a day or two. its a good sign that nobody has shot or anything yet though. never heard of that before really in a coup.

i'm no local expert on coups though. by the look of things though, the prime minister seems to have done a few bad moves lately.

its bad that the military thinks of itself as a part of the democracy in thailand though, thats not really how things should be run.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#13 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:55 PM

got some news the net might have gone down over there...

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#14 Pastinator

Pastinator

Wild(With An M)

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

o,ok, poor guy, must be terrifying, but he'll probs be alright so wont mater

#15 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts
  •  Drifting Gun-Toting Liberal, Forum Lurker

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

Wow. Could I get a recap of this, and what it means for the Thai? I've been at school all day, and since our news systems are ignorant, I haven't heard anything about it until now.

OLD SIG
When history witnesses a great change Razgriz reveals itself,
first as a dark demon. As a demon it uses it power to rain death upon the land,
and then it dies. However after a period of slumber Razgriz returns
As the demon sleeps, man turns on man.
Its own blood, and madness soon cover the earth.
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz.
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light.
Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
The demon soars through the dark skies
Fear and Death trail its shadow beneath
Until Men united wield a hallowed sabre
In Final Reckoning, the beast is slain.
Razgriz intrerpretation

Posted Image <-This stays up there for you, buddy!

#16 Dirt

Dirt

How do I know?

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  Shocker

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:47 AM

There is a recent coup in my country (Thailand). The media has been taken over. CNN and BBC were shut off from ordinary people. Military is in control of the capital of Bangkok (which is also where I live). The constitution is discarded. Many government parts (council, constitution court etc...) were discarded as well. I'm not sure whether the net will be cut or not, but please give me some news. And if possible, is there any help?

Go 2 hell Thaksin and plz someone appropriate become the PM and bring back peace to our country cause Thaksin is messing everything up. Go to www.reuters.com/www.cnn.com/www.bbc.co.uk

Edited by Shocker, 20 September 2006 - 12:59 AM.

#17 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:32 AM

So, to be clear, this wasn't really an overthrow of the government, just the prime minister, correct?

Nice to see that in some countries when they get an ass hat in charge, they kick them out. Although, I suppose the fact that Thailand is a constitutional monarchy makes that the only way to really deal with it.
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#18 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

To Shocker...
I won't use this forum as a rude debate as we've seen for over half a year in our country. You're saying the ex-PM was messing things up. Did you ever find real information about it? Or you just listened to the protester (which is one side information)? You can express your opinion in civilized way, by the law, but rude way such as "go to hell" should not be posted here.

BTW, my dad is detained in military safehouse and I've met him. He's quite fine, but still he's detained.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#19 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:56 AM

yeah, was as i foresaw then. well he should be alright, it seems that they are primarily couping the prime minister, but i'm not down there so i can't really say whats going on.

#20 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

Haven't heard anything on the news about it here (but Steve Erwin's still dead, Footy players are drunk drivers, and other headlines abound), so all I can really add is best wishes for your fathers safe return.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users