• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 Airman

Airman

title available

• Project Team
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

Well, how did those recruiters screw your friend?

Posted Image

#102 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:27 PM

Just for the sake of information:

Switzerland has a military?
I thought its citizens were just allowed to posses fully automatic assualt rifles, or so I remember my dad saying once at the supermarket when he saw two skiiers with Steyr Augs.....

Yes, Switzerland has a military, quite a big one compared to its population. The famous thing with the rifles is the following:
The idea of the swiss army is that the people are the army. Every man from 18 to about 40 (can be more if you want to stay longer and rank up) has to make a military training and must also do certain exercises (e.g. shooting) every year. And because the army should be ready within the shortest time and also because the military power should lie in the hands of the people, every soldier stores his assault rifle(s) and pistol(s) at home (a minimum amount of ammo included). So theoretically every man from the professor at university to the guy working at McDonalds is trained and equipped for immediate defense.

A good point though, is that our constitution forbids us to invade any other country, so this "super"-militia won't do anything but defend itself.

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 20 October 2006 - 11:28 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#103 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:34 PM

Well, how did those recruiters screw your friend?

I already said that they promised him things that they'll never deliver on. And I wouldn't exactly call him too much of a friend, but I'm sure he's enjoying the 120 degree heat in Iraq right now.
It doesn't matter what branch of the service you go into, it doesn't matter what you say you want to do, you get reclassified 11B or 0301, Infantry, or MP, and end up going into the eternal meatgrinder that is the Iraqi occupation. So have fun.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#104 Airman

Airman

title available

• Project Team
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:49 PM

I don't think I'll be in the meatshield doing the kind of job I want to do, and I'lll have training in the occupation, so they can't reclassify me without more training for that job.

Posted Image

#105 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:16 AM

Field artillery is one of the more heavily trained branches of the fighting forces, they're all being redesignated as MPs. There's no MOS which is safe from being redesignated. They're lying to you.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#106 Airman

Airman

title available

• Project Team
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:46 AM

Artillery is the Army, I'm not going into that.

Posted Image

#107 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:01 AM

And the Air Force needs to provide its own base security, its own patrols, and its own military police forces. The Marine Corps needs to do more. The Navy is the only thing not doing MP work, and they have small boat units which are going to rapidly increase in size to provide security for larger ships in port. It doesn't matter what you're doing or where you're going, you'll end up in Iraq with a rifle.
But then again, I don't care. Remember, go down in a blaze of glory, you'll be remembered fondly by your countrymen and the rest of the world as a prime example of the best of humanity.

Actually, the worst. Ignorance, stupidity, and blind nationalism. But then again, you like to convert those words into faith, patriotism, and honor, which sound a little more aesthetically pleasing than the cold harsh reality.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#108 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

Not necessarily true, in the air force and navy in particular there are a number of jobs that most likely would never be converted to MP's. I'd just recommend getting what you want in writing.
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#109 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:19 AM

There's no MOS which is safe from being redesignated. They're lying to you.

100% absolutely true. And it doesn't matter the branch. If they told you you've got a job doing something, don't count on it. It's nonsense, they'll later tell you the field is booked and they need to reassign you.

And there is no getting out based on breach on contract. Your ass is thiers for not only the four years you signed up for but there is another fours years after called inactive reserve that means if needed they can call you back with no questions asked.

It might be a volunteer army but God help you if you volunteer.

NAVY - Never Again Volunteer Yourself

#110 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

They also extend people until 2026 or so. Once you're in, they can extend your service time indefinitely.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users