#1 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:26 AM

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much will be changed when the new expansion pack comes out. You see, I have been working on a heavily coded and scripted map for about 5 months now, but I won't have it done when the expansion comes out. I really want my map to play on the new expansion, so I just wonder how much will be changed with it. I guess what I really need to know is if the expansion is going to take stuff out from bfme2, or just add more to it. I'm a little unclear what an expansion pack does other than you need the original game to play it, so if someone could help me clarify this, I would be thankful :cool:

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#2 Kelso

Kelso

BFME Admin

• Project Team
  • 1,467 posts
  • Projects:Rise of Rome, Rise of Rome 2
  •  AWD and T3A Team Chamber Leader
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Designer: Rise of Rome 1 and 2

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:22 AM

Should work fine. Looks like they are not adding much in the way of new coding things. Just a few tidbits here and there.

I honestly wouldn't be overly concerned. Especially since I don't see the expansion selling that well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:47 AM

Thanks for the information. Why don't you think the expansion will sell that much? By what I have read so far, it looks pretty interesting and there seems to be plenty of improvements with the AI too.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#4 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

This is Kelso, leave him be :p

As far as changes and mod/map porting, it shouldn't be any harder than porting to a HUGE patch. Even if there are code changes, map.ini covers it :)
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#5 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,100 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

Well, it will be interesting to see how this one sells. If it is a good improvement in AI, making it's gameplay quality match the first game (BFME 1), then perhaps it can draw in some of these players that gave up on the original BFME 2.

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#6 Kelso

Kelso

BFME Admin

• Project Team
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

Why don't you think the expansion will sell that much? By what I have read so far, it looks pretty interesting and there seems to be plenty of improvements with the AI too.

BFME2 by itself did not sell particularly well to begin with. And its very rare for people to go out and get both the base game and the expansion in one shot because an expansion looks cool.

Coupled with the fact that it adds no real new capabilities for modders or mappers, I don't see a real incentive to spend the money on it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

And this sort of discussions won't really help either :dry:

My mind is still on buying because of the CaH, but before they get my money, they'll first have to prove it's really worth it. In other words, I'd like to know some more about it, so these weekly news items will come in handy.

You are right that an expansion (almost) never generates as much interest as the original game and that the original wasn't really popular either. Still, I want to give them a chance to set things right.

Before claiming that last point, you'd have to see the code and compare. Sure, they won't make major changes, but the CaH and the WotR mode will be changed. At the moment both are crippled, the WotR stuff most of all.
Model and map wise, you are right, they won't be changing things about that, but there is a chance that the coding will bring some new stuff.

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,686 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

Why should these discussions have to help?

I hope this expansion sells so bad that EA will have to radically rethink their way of developing games.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#9 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Doubt that one failed expansion of a second game that already sold less will have any noticable effect on how they create games. I wish it would be otherwise, as in general, games could be far better.

If a game is totally trashed into oblivion by people, it won't make others think "Oh cool! I got to have that game!", get the point? I'm not saying that it should help, only saying that as it is, this discussions won't help, as it's a bit negative...

I might have used better wording for it, but I thought it would be clear enough and didn't want to write a whole story...which I now ended up doing anyway... :dry:

Solinx
Posted Image

#10 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. As for the expansion, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays when it comes out. EA is known to say that they made improvements or added something entirely new, but really they didn't do that much. Remember when BFME 2 came out and one of major selling points was the new building boats system? Well, it really wasn't anything special and you never used it anyways. Only a couple of maps even use it in the whole game. :dry:

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#11 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

true, but cah and wotr don't depend on maps as much as naval war
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#12 Lauri

Lauri

Let us remember foREVer

• Hosted
  • 10,419 posts
  • Projects:'The 4th Age' and 'Shadow and Flame'
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

hmm, that reminds me.... I haven't made a single ship while playing BFME2.... I just tried it on the demo :dry:

Shadow and Flame BETA 0.6 RELEASED - Link

#13 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

I've only played 2 maps where ships actually seemed like a decent option, and even then there was much better things to spend cash on.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#14 Lauri

Lauri

Let us remember foREVer

• Hosted
  • 10,419 posts
  • Projects:'The 4th Age' and 'Shadow and Flame'
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

I have to say, I don't think ships does much to the enemy... I mean, they spend all your commandpoints, but they don't do you anything really good.... :( and I always though "cool, ships, this is going to be awsome :dry: " but also, they couldn't even make ships for each faction..... what a pity

Shadow and Flame BETA 0.6 RELEASED - Link

#15 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

Yeah their damage is a bit weak. It takes 1 battleship ages to take down a single orc horde, when alternatively a single cavalry batt could take it down much quicker.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#16 Kelso

Kelso

BFME Admin

• Project Team
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:03 PM

Doubt that one failed expansion of a second game that already sold less will have any noticable effect on how they create games. I wish it would be otherwise, as in general, games could be far better.

If a game is totally trashed into oblivion by people, it won't make others think "Oh cool! I got to have that game!", get the point? I'm not saying that it should help, only saying that as it is, this discussions won't help, as it's a bit negative...

I might have used better wording for it, but I thought it would be clear enough and didn't want to write a whole story...which I now ended up doing anyway... :dry:

Solinx

Since when is it my job to butter people up and make an expansion sound good? If the thing was half-way decent, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all, and it wouldn't need to be defended. Games need to stand by themselves and speak for themselves, if they can't, then its not a good game. I'm not being negative, I'm being honest.

In my experience, Amir Ajami was the weakest of the designers on BFME2, and now he's the lead design on ROTWK as the better guys like Jason Bender have moved onto CnC3. I think he's trying to load up on gimmicky one liners and not doing enough in terms of gameplay innovations.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:10 AM

Since when is it my job to butter people up and make an expansion sound good?

It isn't, it shouldn't be and I never intended to hint at anything like that.

Im going to agree with you on all other points. Haven't really thought about them, because I'm too tired & annoyed (at something else, nothing related to 3ta) and it will only result in more misunderstandings if I answer in any way, certainly if I answer you at the moment.

Edit: Just read the last bit again... That is some bad news :(

Solinx

Edited by Solinx, 27 October 2006 - 01:11 AM.

Posted Image

#18 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

Damn, I forgot all about this topic :( For ship battles: Good point... I'm going to add some more boats into my mod then, and make some maps where you HAVE to get boats to reach the enemies base :lol: For ROTWK: Whatever... I'm buying it, just for the sake of having something else LOTR to put on my shelf.
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users