Best Anti-Necron?

23 replies to this topic

#1 mattanator

mattanator

Ultimentra

• Project Team
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi, i just got DoW Dark Crusade. And i was wondering what you guys think is the best Anti-necron race. Cuase i got wiped facing them with tau and the ultra/super marines. What do you guys think is the best race for taking out necron trash?
My name on other forums is Ultimentra, if you are wondering who i am.
Posted Image

#2 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Hmm.. Well if you think the vanilla Necron Ai is bad wait til you see ours? I'm now finding they own pretty much everything. Also, our Tau AI is just nuts as well although Necrons in Tier1-2 are just near unstoppable. Warriors+Wraiths+Lord = :D Then if thats bad enough in Tier2 its those damn Immortals. Soo frick'n cool btw.. my best units..

I guess ya need to "highly exploit" the No.1 thing that is Necron's achilles heel - general speed and that they can only spam from ONE building, the Monolith. Take out there LPs to curb their squad/support cap and BY GAWD destroy their energy cores as those things are their economy. Of course.. ya need to send in a strike team of CC-only units to take em down as best ya can but otherwise Necrons will keep coming.. Its baddd...
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#3 Zulgaines

Zulgaines
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Chaos, berserker rush.

#4 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

Berserkers are my primary choice as Chaos. As SM, a speeder rush coupled with grey knights and marines with plasma/missiles does the trick. With orkz, a huge flailing mass of Nobz and Flash Gitz did the job quite well. Not sure about Tau having only played them once or twice so far. IG, with their insane karskin nerf, have to get a bit more extravegant, and I'm not sure if they can even properly counter necrons without leman russ/baneblade.

#5 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

I also like a Vespid rush with the Tau, against Necron's economy and/or Necron builders, instead of the Monolith. It ain't always working, but if the map isn't too large, and if the Tau player chooses the proper early upgrades, a Vespid rush has the potential to be quite damaging, if not devastating.

#6 Guest_Divergence and Diversity_*

Guest_Divergence and Diversity_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:35 AM

I just love the diversity and the unpredictability of this Dark Crusade game.

The Necron and Tau are overpowered, and you often think you are winning as the Necron or the Tau on large maps or in the campaign, and then along comes a swarm of cloaked Eldar or endless hoards of Orks or deep-striking Space Marines or Space Marine Land Speeders or Tau Vespids, and suddenly your overpowered Necron or Tau base is gone. The overpowered faction is suddenly dust in the wind, and it happens quickly.

It's unpredictable.

I hope that Relic and you guys don't break it while trying to fix it or improve it or somehow balance it.

With the way that it currently is, the number of strategies that you can try in order to recover from a hopeless or impossible situation are truly astounding in Dark Crusade. I have never seen anything like it.

Sometimes it is yucky, and there are a number of unwinnable provinces or scenarios in the Campaign, and skirmish games as well, if you let it get too far or have the wrong matchup of factions. But, sometimes all you need to do to win the unwinnable is discover some hidden power or technique, and suddenly the unbeatable Necrons or Orks or Tau have been eliminated. Other times, you just simply lose.

In Dawn of War and Winter Assault, with enough prior experience with the game, you could practically predict whether you were going to win or lose simply by the factions that you chose to play against or play as. In Dark Crusade, there are a lot more unexpected surprises, and you lose a lot more often even when you are expecting to win.

I like the new campaign -- that's a part of the surprise factor as well, in Dark Crusade.

Dark Crusade is a great game! Tops on my list already, and I have only had it a couple of weeks!

#7 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

The campaign maps all are triggered and programmed to work in certain ways. If you watch closely you can see this.

I have a hard time getting rid of Pariahs in most circumstances regardless, though. They completely disable my epic units, they trash my infantry, and they can tank my vehicles.

Edited by Malkor, 28 October 2006 - 01:30 AM.

#8 Verrückt

Verrückt

Hi Everybody!

• Project Team
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:RealAlert
  •  O-Bolt's Bitch, Wacky Forum Doctor.

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:53 AM

Plasma is meant to be used against heavy infantry, all Necron infantry are heavy infantry. SM/CSM
My heart goes out to Xeno.
Old Quotes:

@Mspencer : RoadReaction is calling everyone in your country a fascist invader who wants to invade Russia.
@Jeeves: Pie.

#9 Zulgaines

Zulgaines
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:07 AM

Pariahs as a unit are fine, their reinforce time is what makes them good vs, well, everything.

#10 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:10 AM

Pariahs as a unit are fine, their reinforce time is what makes them good vs, well, everything.

Pariahs didn't stand a chance against me in my Tau campaign.

I couldn't take Hyperion Peaks from them, so I let the Chaos A.I do it, and then I proceeded to their stronghold, which quite honestly was such a disappointment. No challenge whatsoever. My starting bodyguards managed to easily (not without some losses of course) take care of the early rushes, and later my FW's did the rest. I had Kauyon, and the Krootox + FW's + Shas'o + Greater Knarloc + Ethereal doing GK image ... nope, they couldn't do anything. I did loose a bunch of Krootox, but never lost a single squad of Fire Warriors through all the mission.

Hyperion Peaks, in my opinion, should have been the Necron stronghold instead.

Also, regarding Hyperion Peaks, I still have my old saved game, when I was trying to take it, from the Necrons. It was quite early in my Campaign. I didn't have good bodyguards, and Shas'o Kais didn't have great upgrades, but I still got it (just for the heck of it, and also it wasn't easy for my ego to get my arse handed over to me by some incompetent A.I so easily). From that saved game, I tried at least six times, but never managed to take it from them. The best I did was to destroy all three Monoliths, but that mission requires that you destroy each and every single buildings from the enemy, which is the element that makes Hyperion Peaks when controlled by the Necrons the greatest challenge anyone would face in the campaign, and believe me, that ain't exaggeration.

Out of curiosity, if you want to take a look at it, I'll gladly send it. However I talked about it on the Relic forums, and some people tried it, and were never able to beat it, saying it is indeed virtually impossible. That is why I believe that the province in question should have been their stronghold, and the very location of Hyperion Peaks on the world map should have been where the Thur'Abis Plateau currently is.

In other words, I think that Relic didn't do justice to the Necrons in the campaign. However I would concur that the actual Necron stronghold might be quite difficult with other races, especially the Imperial Guards, since the starting location is a very small area, and the IG need three infantry buildings to reach their highest cap, which would cost most of the available terrain, and they would be left with not enough space to get vehicles, unless they move around with only infantry to gain territory, which is very difficult against the Necrons especially, since the IG's true strength resides in their vehicles and perhaps heavy infantry (Ogrins).

Edited by Zenoth, 28 October 2006 - 04:24 AM.

#11 Zulgaines

Zulgaines
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:22 AM

What was the difficulty level of the campaign? It's a terrible way to decide balance.

Data from the game files about health based on difficulty:

Player-easy: 250% Normal: 200% Hard: 100%(Normal HP)
Computer-easy: 25% Normal: 100%(Normal HP) Hard: 150%

#12 mattanator

mattanator

Ultimentra

• Project Team
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

What are vespids? Never seen em.
My name on other forums is Ultimentra, if you are wondering who i am.
Posted Image

#13 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:03 AM

What are vespids? Never seen em.

The Vespid unit is shown and explained in the Instruction Manual at page 17, along with everything related to both new races of course.

#14 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:24 AM

Taking the mountain stronghold from the Orks was something I couldn't do as Chaos. I let the Tau jack it then I completely destroyed them with virtually no losses.

#15 Zulgaines

Zulgaines
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

It was fairly easy with chaos to take ork, build up a heavy defense and take out one of the flag towers, then leave the side alone that you attacked- they will fight the other orks and maybe even trigger off more rebels if you don't attack them.

Edited by Zulgaines, 28 October 2006 - 07:28 AM.

#16 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

Er... the mountain stronghold... you can't build anything. It was a matter of trying to blow up all of the ork's 80-100some buildings with limited units before they pulled out squigs. Since there was 3 ork bases going fucknuts on you with looted tanks/killa kans/nobz it never really ended well.

The ork stronghold province was hilarious and pretty easy to do, and that's pretty much how I did it.

Edited by Malkor, 28 October 2006 - 07:19 PM.

#17 Zulgaines

Zulgaines
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:22 PM

Oh that damn peaks level. I just bum rushed the critical location in the center taking the north pass pretty much ignoring everything else.

Hate not being able to build.

#18 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:39 PM

It wasn't that bad for me on normal. Don't know on what levels do you people play, but the trick lies in tieing up the huge ork force that will try and stomp you as soon as you get close, smuggle a couple of units into one of their bases and start smashing factories. This should lessen the amount of troops thrown at you to the level that the rest of your force will be able to beat the green tide they are fighting elsewhere. From there it's pretty much a mop up.

I was Tau on that map. Kroot Carnivores are an amazing damage soak. They kept the Orks at bay for me while everything else took their shots at the back. Krootoxen also never seem to die.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#19 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

I tried to do that but the units that kept flooding out of their bases made it just as difficult, plus they wasted all of my worthwhile units just getting into such a position.

#20 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:52 PM

Krootoxen and Knarlocs have insane amounts of health so that's probably why what I did worked. Also their pathing seems to give trouble to the orks navigating. Tau may have an upper hand on that map in comparance to other races I guess.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users