• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

Take energy for one: they protested about nuclear power plants, now we haven't built a new one in decades, they bitch about coal and pollution. They protest and stop us from finding new sources of oil on our own soil in Alaska.

Im a liberal, and I am very pro-nuclear. Nuclear energy is the way of the future, and if you do it right (like we do in Canada) it is almost 100% safe. I live 5 kilometers from two nuclear reactors and I never hear anything about them. They are expensive to build, but when they are opperating, they create no air pollution and are still somewhat economically effecient.

I dont see why you americans aren't embracing nuclear energy. The accident at 3 mile island won't happen again, because our reactors are much safer now.

#22 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

Except for the fact that they use radioactive materials, and produce waste which will remain radioactive for millions of years.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#23 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

a couple hundred tonnes of radioactive waste does far less damage to the environment then hundreds of thousands of tonnes of greenhouse gases being pumped into the atmoshpere.

#24 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

CO2 emissions will never cease. Nuclear power is too expensive, and if we completely switched to nuclear, we'd be producing millions of metric tons of radioactive material per year.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#25 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

i have some faith in thorium nuclear power plants. plenty of the stuff around here and there, not useful to make weapons, practically impossible to get chernobyls because you don't need to put a isotope together with it to get a reaction.
i didnt check out the background on that part 100% but after what i understood the main problem with uranium nuclear power is that you need isotopes near the uranium that makes it run produce heat, which is bad if things starts to go awry and you get the china-syndrome. in thorium powerplants you would be able to get away from that by using some other material which i believe was injected into the reactor and used up during the heat-creation process.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#26 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

From what I know, (my dad works at a nuclear plant), in the CANDU reactors, fission only occurs when the uranium is in heavy water. If there is any leak whatsoever in the reactor, the heavy water will drain, and the fission can no longer occur, causing very little radiation leakage.

#27 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

Oh, except for the fact that you now have an extremely hot, extremely radioactive piece of uranium sitting in the middle of a few control rods, with possibly a particle accelerator still shooting neutrons at it.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#28 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

wonder if they had the same situations the first time people started building giant dam-reservoirs up in the mountains above places where people lived ;)

naturally water rather makes things clean than contaminate, but radiation might, in certain philosophical perspectives, cleanse aswell...

anyway, its prolly way off-topic.

Anyone have a prophecy about what will happen if the democrats gets the optimal situation out of this election? will they be able to regain the trust of the voters, or will they continue the centralization of politics and cause more frustration with politics in the US?

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#29 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

It's the actual discovery process which is destructive. And there's no real way to make drilling platforms look like ice sculptures.

Does it really matter what they look like? Perhaps we should bulldoze New York City because it's unsightly.

Oh, except for the fact that you now have an extremely hot, extremely radioactive piece of uranium sitting in the middle of a few control rods, with possibly a particle accelerator still shooting neutrons at it.

Alright, so since all power sources in existance seem to be unusable, what the hell do you suggest we do?

I say we all vote on the state we like the least *cough* Texas *cough*, carpet bomb it and then cover it with solar panels.
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#30 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

I don't think the democrats will change much in th US. They seem to not really have any plans or ambitions to fix any problems. They just go on and on about how the republicans can't be trusted, and how we need "a change in strategy" (what the hell is that supposed to mean?)for the war in Iraq.

In my opinion, the only reasons the democrats are winning is because the republicans are a bunch of incompetent fools, and not because they actual have a plan that americans agree with.

Iraq is beyond repair (I honestly dont see how either party is going to fix that mess), and I don't think the democrats have the guts to do any major economic reform, so I dont think anything will really change.

#31 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

It's the actual discovery process which is destructive. And there's no real way to make drilling platforms look like ice sculptures.

Does it really matter what they look like? Perhaps we should bulldoze New York City because it's unsightly.

Alright, so since all power sources in existance seem to be unusable, what the hell do you suggest we do?

I say we all vote on the state we like the least *cough* Texas *cough*, carpet bomb it and then cover it with solar panels.

This was my question also, all I got was some mumbo jumbo about nuke reactors. It's a valid and simple question. I also didn't understand what Spence was saying about ice sculptures. It was totally irrelevant.

#32 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

Completely relevant. No matter what you do, you're still destroying Alaska. Drilling is not a pleasant thing.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#33 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

What in Alaska must be preserved exactly? Honestly, we need the oil, if we've got to throw up a few unsightly oil derricks then so be it. If you have a solution, spit it out, otherwise it looks like we're out of options.
My political compass

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#34 Dirt

Dirt

How do I know?

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  Shocker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

any thoughts about what will happen now? will the democrats totally pwn the republicans now? will michael j. fox get his cure for parkinson? or will the republicans turn the election around with some good old fashioned holier than thou speeches?

I support Al Gore and Republicans.

#35 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

al gore is a democrat if i am not mistaken. so it seems a bit paradoxal to support the republicans and al gore.

anyway, i fear that if the democrats doesnt win alot this election, people will practically say fuck politics and won't care to vote. the problem here then is that i believe people who vote democratic are the first ones who will lose their hope and thus the grip of the republicans will get harder.

#36 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

I did like the republicans 'no, the terrorists are just attacking us so you'll vote for the democrats!' idea.
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#37 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

Been watching some recent controversy about ads and such.
While the Democrats are using people such as John Kerry to rip apart the Republicans on the campaign trail, the Republicans as a general theme all across the country are using attack ads, lots of them, about Democrats being "soft on crime" and the like. It's also not reflecting too well on their character...
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#38 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

they also go for the homophobic ones as usual. this is some of the worst shitthrowing i've ever seen in my life. its not politics, its a circus, a farce which throws dung into the face of democracy itself.

i wonder how hard it would be to get a reform in to get rid of all this crap... probably pretty hard because nobody wants to stop getting money for nothing i guess. corps wants favours, politicians wants favours, the circle spins on and on...

#39 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

John Kerry made a big mistake for the democrats. He said that college grads often make a good living in the US but if your uneducated you get stuck in Iraq.

I think it is very true what Kerry said, but as usual, the Republicans are using this for a major attack against the democrats. They are saying that Kerry is the poster child for "democrats that are soft on security" and are claiming that he is saying all soldiers are dumb college drop-outs.

Although I completely agree with this statement (pretty much the only decently paying job a college or high school dropout can get is in the military), I think this was a stupid move on Kerry's part, and may cost the democrats some voters.

But I agree with you Duke_Qa in that the US political scene is just a big circus. I heard them playing a Republican radio attack ad on CNN, and it was quite funny. It was playing scary music in the backround and saying how Nancy Pelosi and her Liberal friends from the Northeast are going to ruin america. Seems like being a liberal is quite an insult in the US as most democrats aren't even willing to admit they are Liberals....while we in Canada have a major party with Liberal as its title!

#40 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:46 AM

a) You can't get into the military without a diploma
b) There are lots of good jobs for people without a real college education, certified welders, auto mechanics, or even working for the state.

Thing is that that little speach just confirmed people's opinions on democrats, which will arse up conservatives to get out and vote, and sway the patriotic middle just far enough to the right. Stupid, stupid move.
My political compass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users