#41 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

by the words diploma do you mean those tissues which comes with the happy meal?

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#42 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:17 PM

If you place the value of a diploma as important as the napkins that come with a Happy Meal. Than I guess yes smartass. :dry:

#43 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

its the smarter bodypart i got i agree, its been trained under incredible pressure for as long as i've used the pc :dry:

but i guess this is a definition question, but after what i know about the us military is that you got recruiters running around practically pressganging people into service... i don't think that they are asking if they got their diploma. if you want to become an CO, i guess you might need some more credentials.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#44 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

He's already said it was a poor joke about the administration's policies in Iraq.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#45 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

he is also most likely out of the rest of this election to minimize the abuse the republicans can get out of it.

edit:
so what will you americans (without a criminal record that you know of) vote for then, and why?

Edited by duke_Qa, 02 November 2006 - 11:51 PM.

#46 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

I'm sorry, but I absolutely refuse to believe that you need a diploma to get into the army.
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#47 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:07 AM

which was half my point with the happy-meal tissue issue. and as said earlier it might only go for those who wants to become officers. but then again that depends on the definition of diploma. is that the thing yanks get when they are done with senior high and wear them square hats, or is it higher up in the chain of education?

#48 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:38 AM

You're corrtect, and you do not have to have a diploma to get in the US military, you do have to pass an aptitude test called ASVAB or something like that.

Just to make they're not handing a gun to retards. :lol:

#49 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

I think the army will accept a GED, but you do need a high school education none the less. The Marines definately require a diploma, and the first thing they asked me was if I was on track to graduate.

I really don't know where recruiters get this reputation from, perhaps it's different in other areas, but I've never really had a recruiter pressure me into joining. I've had them come up and talk to me plenty of times, but we mainly just went over my options. Not to say that they're not good salesmen, I'd planned to join up before my recruiter even talked to me, but he's quite the persuasive speaker. However, their targets are generally people who aren't sure if they want to join, or people who know that they want to join. When you tell the guy you've got no interest in the military, chances are he'll find someone else to talk to.
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#50 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

The US Military accepts about ten people with GEDs total per year. They don't like them because it shows lack of commitment.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#51 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:34 AM

http://www.slate.com/id/2127487/

I'm telling you if you score high on the ASVAB entry test, your required HS diploma can be waived. On average 70k new recruits per year X 6% (current non diploma holding recruits) = 4200, alot more non HS diploma troops than 10 GED applicants. Someone didn't do thier homework.

#52 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

Try reading a few other of the articles on that site. This guy also wrote an article entitled "What a Moronic Presidential Press Conference!" and seems to make up facts as he goes.

However, if you go to the army home page, you can read that they flat out will not accept someone without a high school education.
http://www.goarmy.co...ted_soldier.jsp
My political compass

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#53 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

They don't that's why they "waive it" for some candidates. I'm telling you from personal experience that are more than just a few people in the military without a diploma.

#54 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:50 PM

Weren't you in over 10 years ago? I'd assume things have changed since then.
My political compass

#55 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:53 PM

I served 1990 to 1996. So if something changed since then. I'm not up to date.

#56 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:58 PM

Well, I'm not disagreeing that the Army lets people in without a diploma, however, they most definately do not let anyone in without at least an equivelant, regardless of their ASVAB scores. I'm also pretty sure that you have to score well above average on teh ASVAB to be allowed in with a GED.

I was also informed by my recruiter that it wasn't until recently that the Marines began raising their standards, and it could be the same for the rest of the branches.
My political compass

#57 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:00 AM

OMG, don't believe anything a recruiter says. You tell that recruiter to come talk to me.

If he has the balls, I'll blow very large holes in his pitch.

Recuiters have no say. They only recruit And the US contract to volunteer is a joke. Don't do it. I swear....

#58 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

right, make a new thread on recruiters if you like, its the eve of the election and i want the gossip and the rumors in here NOW :D

#59 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

The Democrats have certainly taken back the governorship of Massachusetts. The Boston Globe and other reliable sources estimate about 55% will vote for Deval Patrick, while only 27% support the Republican candidate Kerry Healey.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#60 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

Well, I'm not disagreeing that the Army lets people in without a diploma, however, they most definately do not let anyone in without at least an equivelant, regardless of their ASVAB scores. I'm also pretty sure that you have to score well above average on teh ASVAB to be allowed in with a GED.

I was also informed by my recruiter that it wasn't until recently that the Marines began raising their standards, and it could be the same for the rest of the branches.

A diploma is a diploma, there is not a difference with a GED than a standard one, you either have one or you don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users