#21 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

I don't suppose you could take away Grond's invulnerability? Once the gate is gone, it'd be extremely tough to defend against the attack. I haven't played the mission yet though. One option would be to make the Grond super tough; make so you'd have to make all units in the area attack it, and have Gandalf fire off his spells as mush as possible in order to stop it from breaking down the gates. And even then, the gates should be one hit from destruction, so if a troll or mumak or battering ram got there, they'd be done for.

But in both the book and the movie, Grond took down the gate. And I can't see that Gondor could have done much to stop it (unlike with the mines at Helm's Deep). I want it to be "extremely tough to defend against the attack". It is incredibly tough to defend against attack, and I like it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord
  • New Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:14 AM

Oh well, guess I'll have to come up with some new strats. Like building melee troops, for instance.
And was I the one who got us off talking about Minas Tirith on the Helms' Deep topic?

Edited by Nazgul Lord, 06 November 2006 - 02:15 AM.

Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey.
Posted Image
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#23 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,829 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:39 AM

No you weren't :)

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#24 Guest_Enerdhil_*

Guest_Enerdhil_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

When the gate was down I put Boromir and Gandalf there, pulling them back to a well when injured and churned out a constant screen of soldiers from two barracks to slow them down with 4 units of rangers with flaming arrows behind and plenty on the walls of the gate. You need to focus on archers really because the problem is taking down those armoured trolls. If they break a way in then everything else gets through as well. I used Faramir on the gatehouse to pick them off from range. they still reached the front lines in small groups but never lasted long enough to penetrate.

The biggest problem by far was the towers. You really have to focus on taking those out.

Eomer's army in my game consisted of a few Elves, a few more Rohirrim and a large number of fully upgraded horse archers, some of whom were on rank 9. They definitely helped a lot with clearing up the gate. Haldir is handy at taking out the trolls and evil men before they reach the gate too. The mumakils weren't a problem because they just stood around. They did kill Gandalf though because he charged right up to them and tried a wizard blast but got trampled to death before it fired. Call that wise do you? I'd say good timing and use of the Elven wood, summon and daybreak powers is fairly critical as well. Getting rid of the darkness has a big impact when you spread your heroes out over the wall because their leadership bonuses are probably more useful then they themselves in some cases.

Also the horse archer hero (gamling or hama, I forget which) is extremely useful for Rohan. I like him. One problem though, for some reason I can't spook Mumakil with fire arrows anymore. They just stand around and then eventually drop dead. They don't rampage. It means that your first mission with Faramir doesn't quite work as planned.

#25 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord
  • New Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

The non-rampaging Mumakil problem is EA's fault. I think they did it in patch 1.03...it working fine in 1.02, but in 1.03 they wanted to "increase the amount of fire damage" mumakil could take. Now, it's a rare sight to see a stampeding mumakil. Maybe Cel can fix it :D .
Posted Image
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#26 Ecthelion

Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

Having just completed Minas Tirith I'd have to say it was also too easy :(.
The perfect strat which worked both for this custom and the original campaign is to initially mass rangers of ithilien.
I already had a full command limit Ithilien army from previous battles, this was immediately placed on the second level and upgraded. All buildings were kept as farms initially, and resources were hoarded so as to build more ithilien rangers should they be needed (albeit they weren't). Once the Rohirrim arrived it was an immediate race into Minas Tirith, and then it was simply a wait until Aragorn arrived, using the Rohirrim in sorties against isolated units. The majority of heroes were kep to the side of the map and targeted small groups solo.
Having archers on the second rather than the first level makes the mission extremely easy. My recommendation, though you are probably abject to this would be to increase the range of catapults so that they can hit all levels in the citadel, as they were shown to in the film, as well as having lots of FU orcish crossbowmen.

Ecthelion

#27 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

One problem though, for some reason I can't spook Mumakil with fire arrows anymore. They just stand around and then eventually drop dead. They don't rampage. It means that your first mission with Faramir doesn't quite work as planned.

The non-rampaging Mumakil problem is EA's fault. I think they did it in patch 1.03...it working fine in 1.02, but in 1.03 they wanted to "increase the amount of fire damage" mumakil could take.

Quoted for the truth.

Maybe Cel can fix it :D .

Maybeh...

I already had a full command limit Ithilien army from previous battles, this was immediately placed on the second level and upgraded.

The second level!? You put archers on the second level and that makes it all easy? That is incredibly wierd... Never would have expected that.

My recommendation, though you are probably abject to this would be to increase the range of catapults so that they can hit all levels in the citadel, as they were shown to in the film

I guess I'm going to have to... And if anyone doesn't like catapults: make sure you have the eagle summon before you do the mission...

as well as having lots of FU orcish crossbowmen.

No, I don't want to have to create a new unit.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,829 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:48 PM

Do archers have a elevation bonus? I so, you could take that away, and everything would be closer before they could fire :D

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#29 Ecthelion

Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:26 AM

as well as having lots of FU orcish crossbowmen.

No, I don't want to have to create a new unit.

Ah, I meant the bowmen :p

#30 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:02 AM

Do archers have a elevation bonus?

I don't think so, they added that concept in B4ME 2 with the 'tactical fidelity' thing.

Edited by Olorin, 07 December 2006 - 09:19 AM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#31 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord
  • New Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

If you're gonna boost the range of catapults, then boost the range of first-level trebuchets so that they can hit them. Using the eagles on them is a waste. The eagles are best for destroying the Nazgul. Also, with the greater number of archers you've added, they'd gun down the eagles in no time. The only solution to catapults then would be sorties from Minas Tirith, which would be like the ballista problem at Helm's Deep. Plus, units never left Minas Tirith in the movies.
Posted Image

#32 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:36 PM

If you're gonna boost the range of catapults, then boost the range of first-level trebuchets so that they can hit them.

Of course.

Using the eagles on them is a waste. The eagles are best for destroying the Nazgul. Also, with the greater number of archers you've added, they'd gun down the eagles in no time.

Wrong... Eagles are perfect for getting rid of catapults for a number of reasons:
a) So long as you attack the catapults in the bottom corner of the map, the orc archers will not attack the Eagles 90% of the time, as they are still moving into position.
b) They take out a catapult in one hit.
c) Timing them properly will mean you can get rid of around 80% of the two waves of catapults before they can even get close to the walls.
d) Gandalf + Rangers have always been enough to do away with Nazgul before they can attack anything.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

The only solution to catapults then would be sorties from Minas Tirith, which would be like the ballista problem at Helm's Deep.

god i hate ballistas on helm's deep. half the time they dont do damage to the units so they build up and just start firing and it bothers me so much :p .

Plus, units never left Minas Tirith in the movies.

this is the movie. if i remeber right the kights of dor armoth (or how ever you spell it) did leave Minas Tirith during the battle to charge mordor. and this game does not listen to the movie most of the time

Edited by adummy, 07 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image

#34 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,829 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

No, that was actully when farimer was retreating from osgilath or the Rammas (can't rememeber which right now), they just covered the retreating army ;)

Until the Rohirrim came, then everyone charged to help out

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#35 Hearach

Hearach

title available

• Project Team
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

I finished playing mirkwood a while ago and I thought maybe you could add slightly more instructions.
I restarted on my first play because i never realized Thranduil was right behind the enemy camp and only found out after when I travlled back up and found all the elves dead. Maybe you could also add something hinting the shrine in the south-west. Less elves should arrive with Galadriel and co. as this makes it way to easy. Maybe some more nazgul after the first wave.

Appart from that youv'e done brilliantly :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

I finished playing mirkwood a while ago and I thought maybe you could add slightly more instructions.
I restarted on my first play because i never realized Thranduil was right behind the enemy camp and only found out after when I travlled back up and found all the elves dead.

At the beginning of the mission, there's the instructions: "Secure the aid of Thranduil, east in the forest and destroy Dol Guldur in the south." Going by logic, you'd think to find Thranduil in the north east, seeing as Dol Guldur is in the south. I'm not going to tell people exactly where to find him: that's up to the player to figure out.

Maybe you could also add something hinting the shrine in the south-west.

Nah... Want that to be a little tidbit for the explorers :rolleyes: .

Less elves should arrive with Galadriel and co. as this makes it way to easy. Maybe some more nazgul after the first wave.

Once again, nah. I don't want this mission to be overly difficult, especially not once Galadriel and Celeborn arrive: I want the player to totally mop up Dol Guldur :thumbsupsmiley:.

Appart from that youv'e done brilliantly :D

Thank ya kindly!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,829 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:28 AM

Man, I really need to finish the campaign

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#38 Lauri

Lauri

Let us remember foREVer

• Hosted
  • 10,419 posts
  • Projects:'The 4th Age' and 'Shadow and Flame'
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

I need to START the campaing :p

Shadow and Flame BETA 0.6 RELEASED - Link

#39 Hearach

Hearach

title available

• Project Team
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

I restarted on my first play because i never realized Thranduil was right behind the enemy camp and only found out after when I travlled back up and found all the elves dead.

At the beginning of the mission, there's the instructions: "Secure the aid of Thranduil, east in the forest and destroy Dol Guldur in the south." Going by logic, you'd think to find Thranduil in the north east, seeing as Dol Guldur is in the south. I'm not going to tell people exactly where to find him: that's up to the player to figure out.

I don't think it's that obvious that thranduil's in the north east.
It tells you that thranduil is in the east so thats what i thought
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,829 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

It is to me, Dol Guldor is in the south, so thranduil must be in the north, and it says he is in the east, just combine the two :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users