#1 Gosho

Gosho

Go for it!

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Projects:C&C Mahaira
  •  Doing something hideous, disturbing, anti-social

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

Hello and welcome people, to the first ever Freedom Studios Voxel Competition! I hope you all enjoy it and have a good time.

Rules:

1. Files made will be checked for authory, so entries of work from other people are invalid and the person will be disqualified.
2. Adding every .vxl and .hva and any TurretOffset= tag (if appliable) is a must.
3. Voxels can either be based upon concept art or your own design. If you base it upon a concept art, and you explicitly say so, show the concept art too, so accuracy can be evaluated (it will only be judged for Originality or for Accuracy -see below- so be sure to weigh this when making your entry).
4. All the voxels submitted are made for public, so beware not to send any exclusive graphics, as from the point they're submitted you have agreed they will be available.
5. The entries don't need to be realistic nor merely fictional. Of course not abstract either (Don't create new logics just for the unit :lol: ). Don't limit yourself to show your creativity, however, don't be Picasso.
6. Only one entry per person is allowed, and you cannot edit it after you submit it as it simply won't get in. (Exception, you sent the wrong version of it, i.e: no normals, or no color)
7. All files must have remaps, visible clearly from every facing.
8. Voxels that are already out cannot be entered.

Submission:

Submission can be done through PM at FS, PPM or Revora or via e-mail, to all three of the judges. This is done for safety measures - the chances of the voxel being lost are minimal that way.

Judgement:

Currently we have 3. These being Xeno, Daeda and Gosho, with the corresponding e-mails:

Xeno - sabre834[at]hotmail[dot]com
Daeda - daeda88[at]gmail[dot]com
Gosho - ragosho[at]abv[dot]bg

Submissions will be judged for:

A) Originality / Accuracy: Depending on if you base yourself on a provided concept art (usage of RA2, YR or other C&C concept art is advised) or not, you'll be judged by one or the other. 25
B) Normals 20
C) Coloring 20
D) Technical Competence : Which includes modelling, HVA, etc... 35

Results will be announced on the main Freedom Studios page, as well as other location where this is posted, either on news pages or the announcement thread.

Prizes:

The winner will gain:
+ Public acknowledgement of his victory on as much places as possible
+ A Competition Banner saying Voxeler of the Month
+ The voxel will be featured as Winner of the competition in YR Argentina and Editing Source as a unique download in golden letters.
+A mistery prize ^_^

The competition closes on December the 12th, 8pm GTM. No entries will be accepted after that time.

The winner will be announced shortly after that with an announcement on the main page of Freedom Studios.

Edited by CCCP Gosho, 05 November 2006 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:02 PM

If the voxel is created from a 3D model, the normals will be correct anyway, making the points for normal accuracy irrelevant.
Colouring is only important if either trying to match a real world colour scheme or one of the RA2/TS colour schemes. Colouring should be judged on how sensible you think the scheme and such criteria should be spelled out to competitors. Placement of remap should come under this too, rather than no consideration other than it being visible from all facings.
As for originality/accuracy, what is the aim of holding the competition? Is it to enrich the number of good useable voxels for modders to use as units? If so then originality should be limited to a certain scope. For example MadHQ's tesla turtle was original (and won a competition I believe), but is it all that useful apart from as some kind of joke unit or in a mod where the modder is just adding random crap for the hell of it? I'd argue no, it isn't. Also, how do you plan on judging technical competance based soley on the appearence of the finished voxel? You gonna look over hte shoulder while they model in max or the voxel editor?

#3 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, 3D models tend to especially get issues on wings if you set the smoothing groups settings too high. It's not a garuntee of perfect normals, and fine details like vents should get their normals rethought. It's not so much an issue of creating the one true set of perfect normals for each facing, but having the normals for that particular voxel look the best they can, and sometimes that involves having 'incorrect' normals or adding extra bits that require their own.
Being a total douche.

#4 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

And not everyone uses 3ds2vxl anyway...
Normals can define weather a voxel is good or bad, and generally the best ones have had the colors and normals editted manually even if the rest was 3D.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#5 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hay Mad are you gona enter this comp? I’m planning too & if you don’t I feel that it may be a bit one sided :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

Lol the more the merrier. It would be interesting both Mad and Mig battleing it out :D And this time there IS a physical prize of some sort... so i've been told ;)

And Blade don't moan at us about the rules it was based on Arg's Vxl Competition rules, with some slight alterations. So moan at him ;)
Posted Image

#7 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

let´s see if i have something to get 2nd behind mig :D
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#8 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:03 AM

You should be more optimistic then that rami, you should be saying "I’m gona pwn all your asses mwaahhhahaha" or something :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

I’m gona pwn all your asses mwaahhhahaha" or something :D

Thats the rami we know and love!

#10 ihateharriers

ihateharriers

Supreme Commander of Flying Squirrel Army

• Hosted
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:YR: Air Wars, Sorta Secret Tiberian Thing, staying alive
  •  Flying Squirrels - Even Crazier Than Me!!

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

i think i'm gonna pwn all your asses, mwuahahahahaha! :D

well, at least i'll try ;)

i do believe that i will be entering this comp though, i have meant to do so before and now i think i'll actually do it and see how i fare against the Gods. i am a natural heretic, after all ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image
Congrats, mate!!

#11 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:50 PM

Lol the more the merrier. It would be interesting both Mad and Mig battleing it out :D And this time there IS a physical prize of some sort... so i've been told ;)

And Blade don't moan at us about the rules it was based on Arg's Vxl Competition rules, with some slight alterations. So moan at him ;)

LOL, I'm not moaning, I'm just trying to bring a few idiosyncracies in the rules to open discussion. You don't want rules being too open to interpretation, just look at where that gets us with the law.

#12 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:00 AM

Come on Mad, your the only one that has ever beat me. It's no fun if you don’t enter :p

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 BobingAbout

BobingAbout

Serious Modder

• Hosted
  • 1,288 posts
  • Projects:R:ROTC, Destructivality, Factorio Mods
  •  Coder

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

maybe i'll enter, but... what to make. hmmm.

and no, i don't use 3dsm and 3ds2vxl. i use good old VXLSE2v2.1SE and VXLSE3 latest. (all the bugs are still not fixed... hence VXLSE2v2.1SE)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Daeda

Daeda

Piñata

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:CNC3.net News & Freedom Studios admin
  •  This text is actually purple

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

Good to hear a lot of people will join. I prefer to have some choice when I judge :p

#15 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:00 AM

Hopefully we can beat the 5 entrances mark... i'd like to be able to give out more then 5 positions :p (5th is usually my place :grin:)
Posted Image

#16 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

Has GM ever entered a competition? It would be cool to see all the Gods fighting for the ultimate position. :p

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 DaEm0NuL

DaEm0NuL

Gameing my life to the end of it

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

well it seems that this comp is no place for beginners :p

#18 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

Indeed, Ill enjoy watching this one from the bench. :grin:
Graffitti should enter :p

Edited by Jeeves, 07 November 2006 - 12:00 PM.

#19 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

last day to enter was somewhen this weekend, right?
if so i got some time to some nice stuff :p
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#20 Gosho

Gosho

Go for it!

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Projects:C&C Mahaira
  •  Doing something hideous, disturbing, anti-social

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

No, December 12th. You still have a lot of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users